My New Beast

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Thanks for coming back so fast :) I was also wondering if the side fan would be better as an exhaust. I think the Sniper top fans are partially obscured by the water cooler so perhaps not enough hot air is getting out of the case ... although I've never really felt any hot air coming out of the case fans at all yet.

Are you controlling your GTX580 fans or are they just increasing under load ?

When gaming I have my case fans at max. I leave my 580, to control itself, as I think it will know better than me how fast the fans should be spinning. lol

the only heat I have felt coming out of my case was through the liquid cooler. The 580 does get hot to touch at the back of the case though. I think as long as you have as much airflow as possible to gpu's you should be fine.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
When gaming I have my case fans at max. I leave my 580, to control itself, as I think it will know better than me how fast the fans should be spinning. lol

the only heat I have felt coming out of my case was through the liquid cooler. The 580 does get hot to touch at the back of the case though. I think as long as you have as much airflow as possible to gpu's you should be fine.

Ahh I had assumed that the 580 fans were exhausts not intakes hence my statement :)

mpv

Bronze Level Poster
I think you should keep it as a intake fan, my reasons are because the palit 580's have two little fans that will pull in air that the side fan throws at it, then the air I think is pushed out the back of the 580, so if the side fan was switched to exhaust then the gpu will have no air to pull in. Well that makes sense to me anyway. lol

I do only have one 580 so it is easier to keep cooling. will add link to the drive cage I used, was a coolermaster one, but its ugly, so I took the front off, and mounted It behind the mesh/dust filter under my dvd drive.

Here's the link for the drive cage I used,
http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/product.php?product_id=2542

I wanted one of these but couldn't get one in the Uk
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1257&ID=1483

Here's some others I found, But don't order from this site, as I ordered from them on Monday and they still have not dispatched it!

Thanks again tom. Any pics of your rig and the drive bay config would be cool. :D

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Thanks again tom. Any pics of your rig and the drive bay config would be cool. :D

uploading now, will create a new thread, n post the links here. The Drive cages is pretty good, the coolermaster drive cage I got comes with a a 120mm fan on the front, switched this for a blue coolermaster sickleflow. You will need 3 drive bays empty for it to fit though, but you can then take out the hot swap bays.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
ohh, thats a nice find, and this is fitted in your optical drive bay im assuming?

how is the fan cooling the drives? good? temps would be nice :)

use crystaldiskinfo if you aint got nothing to check temps :) if they go below 29 then i could certainly consider getting one...perhaps?

Nice bit of software teaz! installed.

Temps! Doing nothing with machine, idleish
Case fans on as low as fan controller will let me.
CPU - fan xpert set to intelligent, fans spinning at 807rpm, temp 37/38 degrees.
GPU - I leave that to control itself, 43 degrees.
SSD - 29
HDD - 30
External HDD - 35

Edit - strangely if I increase the speed of the case fans, temps go up just slightly.

Edit- yeah the drive bay is under the dvd drive, takes up three slots, comes with a 120mm fan on the front, but that pants, replaced that with a coolermaster sickleflow. The bay comes with a minging front that blocks airflow to the fan, so I unscewed that and mounted it behind the dust filter mesh.

Last edited:

UndeadJack

Master Poster
That rig is AWESOME! I would love to have a rig like that! you get SLI 580s and I'll probably only get 1 6870...

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
What mine? I know i cant wait, seen the benchmarks for bf3 and its gonna tear through it

Get a big PSU then you can either buy a second card later or a new powerhouse card

UndeadJack

Master Poster
What mine? I know i cant wait, seen the benchmarks for bf3 and its gonna tear through it

Get a big PSU then you can either buy a second card later or a new powerhouse card

1010W is only an etra 40 quid on top of my current build and I might just wait until the new HD7000 series come out before purchasing anything as I am guessing the 7870 will be a decent step up from the 6870 and crossfire it next year.
Hopefully the R7000 series will be out SOON!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Have a look at the clock speeds etc between the 560 and 6870 i have a feeling the 560 may be better

Teaz

Godlike
Edit- yeah the drive bay is under the dvd drive, takes up three slots, comes with a 120mm fan on the front, but that pants, replaced that with a coolermaster sickleflow. The bay comes with a minging front that blocks airflow to the fan, so I unscewed that and mounted it behind the dust filter mesh.

care to take pics of it and show :) would like to see it from every angle lol.

mpv

Bronze Level Poster
certainly a nice spec. enjoy and do watch those 580 temps :) nice to see another addition with a sniper in this forum :D

all that your missing now is to graph your name on your pc like i did lol :D

Forgot to ask about this. Is this like an inscription thing ? Sounds interesting ...

Edit: Just seen your pics from your pc thread, that's really nice .. where / how was it done ?

Last edited:

mpv

Bronze Level Poster
Quick question if anyone is still reading, regarding temps:

At idle Asus AI Suite II is showing CPU temp of 21deg but RealTemp 3.67 is showing 31deg

Which one do I believe ? *scratches head*