My New Desktop Build

dersta

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Guys,

I am new to the site and chose to order here rather that the Overclockers site because of the way they want me to pay in full and then change things that I can't configure on the site etc... that really annoyed me so that's why I am here.

I have had 3 Dell desktops in the past and the last two have died because of poor build motherboards etc... so I am trying something new here.

Here is the spec that I have configured which may be the final revised set up:-

Case ANTEC NINE HUNDRED TWO V3 - UK, The Ultimate Gaming Case, Evolved
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7-2700k Quad Core (3.50GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Motherboard ASUS® P8Z77-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX

Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPERX GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P(4 x 4GB
KIT)

Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

Memory - 1st Hard Disk 240GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

2nd Hard Disk 2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
(7200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 12x BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£79)

Power Supply CORSAIR 850W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX850 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£99)

Processor Cooling COOLIT ECO II FAT BOY PUSH/PULL CONFIG LIQUID CPU COOLER (£79)

Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio (£32)

Network Facilities 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Modem NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND

TV Card PCTV SYSTEMS DUAL TUNER TV CARD & WINDOWS MEDIA CENTRE REMOTE

Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE

Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Keyboard & Mouse Razer® Arctosa Essential Gaming Keyboard (£45)

Total Cost = £2000.00

Can any of you guys see any potential conflicts with hardware or software that I need to correct at all?

Cheers!

Dez

Rakk

The Awesome
What are you planning on using the PC for, if its gaming 16GB of RAM is a bit overkill, 8GB would be fine.

I presume you are planning on overclocking at some point given you have picked a i7-2000k CPU and the faster RAM? Though whether you need to overclock will depend om what you're using the PC for.

dersta

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Rakk,

I have my own site and I spend a lot of time at my PC so i need things to work quickly as I try and perform a few different tasks at once.

I do convert movies and music to different formats, i also watch a lot of tv via media centre, i have a lot of windows open in firefox, i also stream music from the site and chat in forums etc, i like to play top end games that require good graphics cards although im not a gaming addict, only certain types of games turn me on lol but i do like to play them at their full potential.

All in all i like to have the power and spec to deal with anything i have to throw at it and expect it to work efficiently, my pc is where i spend most of my time after work so i like to treat myself to something special.

This will be the first time that i will be going for a gaming type case but i also like the idea of better cooling which the Antec 900-2 provides.

I have considered overclocking but with the spec i have configured im not sure that i will need it, but it could be something that i look into when i begin to think that the pc is running slow after a few months or i get used to the speed lol.

My last Dell pc just died on me and it was almost 5 years old so i want to get the best spec i can that will not look outdated in a year or so.

I hope this helps.

Dez.

dersta

Bronze Level Poster
I have decided to wait for Ivybridge to arrive before placing my order, just so that I can say that I have the latest processor, I dont think there will be a major difference in cost over the Sandybridge.

So I will probably order on 1st May 2012 :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I have decided to wait for Ivybridge to arrive before placing my order, just so that I can say that I have the latest processor, I dont think there will be a major difference in cost over the Sandybridge.

So I will probably order on 1st May 2012 :)

sounds good mate,

when ya order make sure ya post here so we can have a check over it for you :) as I noticed on ya spec above you have a 850w psu? Which suggests ya interested in possible future sli of 680's? But due to the chosen motherboard its not sli compatible. So the psu is abit overkill or the mobo should be upgraded. but anyway once ya decide ya spec, we will have a check of it for you.

dersta

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your comments they are very much appreciated.

One of the main things that I need to facilitate is the two pci slots for the sound card and the tv card that I want installed because not every motherboard has enough pci slots so if you guys could give me some guidance on that issue it would be great.
I originally wanted to go for 32gb of ram as well but after reading posts on here I think its overkill for what I need so I am going for 16gb now so that if needed I can look into overclocking in the future if needed.

Could you also give me some advice on the fan controllers that you have at PCS and if I will need one with the case that I have selected, the Antec 902.

Will I need a fan controller or are they just a flashy bit of tech on the front of the tower? I like the idea of being able to control the speed of the fans but will it be necessary?

Thanks again!

Dersta

Corfate

Author Level
Fan controllers aren't necessary, but allow you to connect more fans to your rig if you don't have enough headers on your mobo :) I like being able to ramp up the fans to keep everything cool when in games, then putting them down low during internet browsing etc :)

You could get away easily with 8GB RAM btw :)

dersta

Bronze Level Poster
I will have to wait until the Ivybridge processors show in the configuration options to finalise my new pc spec, I hope the different chip options show up soon :)