My new favourite fruit

Cobblers

Enthusiast
A citrus orange? Looks interesting, though can't say I've seen one in the shops before. I'll have to go further up-market me thinks!

Stephen M

Author Level
Hope you find one, not all stores stock them, my local Tesco does not but the one which I get deliveries from is ok. Not sure why as they are both proper Tescos, not the smaller Tesco Express things.

Stephen M

Author Level
Not sure how many foodies there are on here, wondered whether a food, recipe etc sub-forum would be worth having or just a hassle to set up and a waste of time.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Foodies - yes. Forum/thread - yes.

Well in Dudley we've one of the largest Tesco's around, so if anyone should have it stocked they should.... unless they feel people living here wouldn't appreciate such a fruit. Yam's like other exoctic fruits, such as bananas!

Stephen M

Author Level
Near my sister in Wester Australia is a great place called the Spud Shed, has an amazing stock of fruit and veg. Some of the best watermelons I have tasted. Sliced into segments then put in freezer for about half hour and you have the perfect ice lolly.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Sounds lovely... same in Mexico (Sister in Laws), the Mangos are gorgeous and sticking a sharp fork up the rear and hey presto, a mango lolly. Just remember the floss for afterwards.

Stephen M

Author Level
One of the great joys of travel is trying new foods. I love fish and there are a load in Aussie you hardly see here. Not a surprise if it takes a day to fly there it must be ages to swim the distance:)

Cobblers

Enthusiast
I'd swim for the food! :p

But I agree, I love trying food that the locals like - my belly rarely ever disagrees if me.

Sometimes, as a Brit, you can travel to places and people will be like "you don't like the spice..?" - far, far from it. I'll have it as it comes, thanks.

Nothing better than experiencing local culture and stepping into someone else's shoes for the day or two weeks if and when allowed.

Stephen M

Author Level
Bad news, although it can be available all year the Pomelo is at its best in January and February so harder to find rest of year. Tesco no longer offering them.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Seems they don't reckon us in Dudley would eat such a fruit - still couldn't find any. Maybe next season?

Stephen M

Author Level
Hope so. I have had look round and nowhere seems to have them, perhaps the drop off in quality for the off season ones is too great.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Really? I went to Tesco's today and didn't find any. Even had the wife look out for them.

Must be something against those who live in the West Midlands....

D

Deleted member 103489

tried these few years back found them in my local lidle store, they do some weird fruits in their.

also custard apples are very nice if you ever get chance to try them, found those in Asda good few times but are expensive.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
20210222_163531-01-01.jpeg

In Lidl