My new gaming PC - suggestions please

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Drop the wifi card. The motherboard already has wifi.

Wireless Communication module
  1. Intel® CNVi interface 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, supporting 2.4/5 GHz Dual-Band
  2. BLUETOOTH 5
  3. Support for 11ac 160 MHz wireless standard and up to 1.73 Gbps data rate
    * Actual data rate may vary depending on environment and equipment.

Drop the RAM to 16gb. For gaming there is literally 0 benefit to more than 16gb RAM. It is not even more futureproof.

Spend some of what you save on a better GPU, or a better/larger SSD.

One question please...
I prefer to maintain the 2 wifi solutions (Asus and motherboard) because I probably have to move PC and I think that with Asus I have antenna/aerial for better stability and fast speed. The PC could have issue with 2 different wifi boards?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
One question please...
I prefer to maintain the 2 wifi solutions (Asus and motherboard) because I probably have to move PC and I think that with Asus I have antenna/aerial for better stability and fast speed. The PC could have issue with 2 different wifi boards?
There's no need for 2 cards. The motherboard wifi has antenna as well, it will be fine for all uses.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
There will be 0 future improvements for gaming.

By the time games could theoretically make use of more than 16gb RAM, it will not matter if you have more than 16gb because the rest of your system will be obsolete - and there will be newer, faster DDR5 RAM.

For gaming, you gain no benefit from 32gb RAM.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I've not seen that. Googling just now and nobody serious is saying that.

I think anyone suggesting it is giving advice about as good as "DOWNLOAD MOAR RAM!"

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
If you absolutely insist on wasting money, waste it on 2x16GB rather than 4x8GB. You want to fill the channel capacity rather than the slots.

Optane is pointless
32GB of RAM is pointless, especially at the chosen frequency and layout.
The PSU is beyond overkill
The cooling gel is a waste as the stock Corsair cooler paste is fantastic. You will probably need to re-paste yourself also.
The addon wireless card is pointless with the chosen board

You have been given really good advice from people who understand what you are after and are trying to help. Unfortunately, we can only lead a horse to water, we cannot make it drink.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Also, VR uses VRam for the output. You want more VRam which a 2080ti, as recommended, has in spades. This is generally only when looking at super sampling etc though.

Thanks for the "rough" advice Scotster.

As you can notice I've taken some of the kindly suggestions given and I have partially changed the PC specs (2080ti , i7 instead of i9, 3200 mhz ram instead 2600, 850 w instead 1000). So I think it was a good lead from forum users and a bit of water drunken by me :) . Some of my ideas still remains (32 GB and others).

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
What is the basis for 32gb RAM?

You've said (I hope this is a fair paraphrasing) "It might be futureproof". But why do you feel it will be futureproof for you? What uses do you think it will benefit you in?

Atm surely not for gaming...
My idea is still to have a PC that can be used for 5-7 years. Some years ago 4 GB of ram were good, then 8 and now 16. Why don't anticipate trends? The money difference is not so much. You correctly argue that, in the future, new ram will be DDR5 ... yes maybe/probably... but how many time? 4 years? 3 years? In this time period maybe my 32gb of ram could be useful. I'm not sure, is an odd, not an expensive one.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
DDR5's expected from late 2019 actually - with consumers seeing it 2020.

I assume it won't work with existing motherboards.

My point about DDR5 is that buying lots of DDR4 now doesn't make sense, because by the time your system could get any benefit from it, everything else will be so old that you should just be buying a new system (or CPU, mobo, faster RAM, PCIe 4.0 storage, etc) anyway.

It's your money and ofc you can spend it how you like, but you're not anticipating a trend, you're wasting over £100 that you could save for future upgrades.

Sometimes saving money is the only way to truly futureproof :)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Atm surely not for gaming...
My idea is still to have a PC that can be used for 5-7 years. Some years ago 4 GB of ram were good, then 8 and now 16. Why don't anticipate trends? The money difference is not so much. You correctly argue that, in the future, new ram will be DDR5 ... yes maybe/probably... but how many time? 4 years? 3 years? In this time period maybe my 32gb of ram could be useful. I'm not sure, is an odd, not an expensive one.

1GB of RAM was the done thing forDDR1
4GB of RAM was the done thing for DDR2
8GB of RAM was the done thing for DDR3
16GB of RAM is currently the done thing for DDR4
32GB of RAM won't be the norm for the foreseeable future and by the time we get there, it's going to be DDR5

There is zero gain to be had wasting money on an additional 16GB. The price of RAM at the moment is very expensive and in the unlikely event of 32GB becoming even close to a requirement you could simply add a further 16GB of RAM at that time, likely for a much reduced outlay.

polycrac

Rising Star
I've opted to maintain 32 GB for future improvements:)
Some parts of a PC are a pain in the proverbial to upgrade. Cases especially since everything is fixed to it, PSU too (especially non modular). These are good options for overinvesting in right at the start. RAM is fairly easy to slot in and since it is fairly expensive right now your money would be better spent later. Saving the cash in this case IS futureproofing.