My new Laptop

lunarchamp

I've had my new laptop for just over a week after picking it up from PCS while i was away on holiday.
Firstly i'd like to thank PSC for putting up with my chopping and changeing my specs for me, nothing was to much trouble for them, when i contacted them by phone the call was answered almost immediately, and persons i spoke to were very knowledgable and courtious with my queeries. Thank you.
My specs Breifly.

Vortex 111
17.3 Glossy screen
i7 3840QM
8Gig Kingston Hyper-X Genesis
GTX680M
240Gig Intel SSD
500Gig Seagate Momentus
Plus a few other bits.

The vortex itself, i am very pleased with it really is a nice Laptop, better than i expected after reading the forums with a few nagative reports.
The Keyboard in my opinion is excellent, i like everything about it, i can do everything i want to in the dark with the backlight on ( brilliant never had one before ), the keys are nice to the touch and the lettering is larger than my Sony which is better for my ageing eyes.
The lid does not wabble when typing contrary to what i have read in a Forum post.
Everything about this Laptop i like, i have no dead pixels which seems to be the most common problem, and the fans are reasonably quiet, no louder than my Sony.
On my Sony i play Railsimulator, frame rates with custom settings averaged 24/30, on my NEW Vortex same settings 70 plus, maximum settings 40 plus, i could'nt use maximum settings on the Sony.
Loading times with the SSD are excellent, a route loading on the Sony takeing 2mins = 20 seconds on SSD, one takeing 4mins = 35 seconds on SSD, a massive difference, so glad i was advised to the SSD as the main drive.
I have not given it a thorough testing yet as i did'nt get home till yesterday, and i've just finished installing through Steam.
It's all looking very good, Better than i expected, i am really pleased, and i saved over £600 and better specs than other dealers.
This Laptop cost me about £1800 and was worth the money, it may be my last, but if it's not i'll be back.
Thank again PCS you really are SPECIAL.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my forum post Vortex111 or Vortex 111 Elite, your posts were very helpful.

Last edited:

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Congratulations on your new toy :) I found when looking for customizable computers that PCS seemed to offer the best value and service. If you look at computers in PC world they're all so expensive for what they are and they just appeal to the average consumer who thinks "ooo 3TB hard drive and 12 gb ram and an i7, that's worth £1500" even though it's running on Intel HD graphics and probably a pants cooling system.

I only ordered my pc the other day so I can't comment on the building phase or delivery but I certainly can't wait!

Pagey

Bright Spark
Congratulations on your new toy :) I found when looking for customizable computers that PCS seemed to offer the best value and service. If you look at computers in PC world they're all so expensive for what they are and they just appeal to the average consumer who thinks "ooo 3TB hard drive and 12 gb ram and an i7, that's worth £1500" even though it's running on Intel HD graphics and probably a pants cooling system.

I only ordered my pc the other day so I can't comment on the building phase or delivery but I certainly can't wait!

This is one reason I'll NEVER buy from PCWorld ever again.

My first purchase was a Compac Presario R3000, although I really didn't know much when I got it, I felt I was hassled into getting the extended insurance for quite an extortionate amount of money. Thing is after developing a few faults with it, I arranged to let them send it off to be repaired after giving them a comprehensive list of problems, they said they'd call back after about a week of so to say it was ready. Time passed and I though I'd give them a call, they said it was ready for a while without them even telling me about it. So I went to collect it only to find it hadn't been sent off and all they did was open it up and clean it out. I paid quite a lot of money to cover situations like that and they screwed me over, I tried to contest it but didn't get far, It was like fighting with a brick wall.

The last one I got is my current laptop and this is a Inspiron 1520. The specs are reasonable: T7250 2x2.0Ghz, 2GB ram and a rather impressive for the time Geforce 8600GT. Obviously a few things have been upgraded, but still servers me well until I hand it down when I get my new Optimus IV for Crimbo.

I've been keeping my eyes peeled for decent laptops in PCWorld and they only have one half-decent one. All the rest are low specced laptops or ultrabooks which to be honest aren't great for much, seem to me like a glorified netbook. I did find a Lenovo laptop, but after pointing it out on a skype chat I was pointed in this direction to find I could make a better specced laptop for around the same price. The rest they say is history.

lunarchamp

Thanks Samgri.
I hope yours is as good as mine is you'll be glad you went with PCS, can' fault them for service they were excellent.
I'm with you Pagey i'll never buy one off the shelf again.

Last edited: