My new toy

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Apologies for the delay. We have had these CPU's on order for a long time now and it's a shortage at the Intel hub that's holding things up. Stock however is on it's way...:)

Sweeney47

9 working days later still at In Building :( Looks like no PC for me this week and I'm guessing judging by the stages it has yet to clear wont be getting it until mid-next week... ah well.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for the delay. Your order is awaiting the 5870 1GB, which should be in to us on Monday, all being well. After this we will dispatch your order asap.

Sweeney47

well its nice to know what is causing the delay ;)

Was going to order this on my birthday, at this rate ill have it on my birthday :p

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
We have a big ATi delivery due in, and yes the 5850 will be included in that :)

Sweeney47

It's now just entered testing, how can it be properly tested if it doesnt have a graphics card? Or do you have one you use for testing? Or are then graphics cards not tested just CPU+RAM etc? Or did the world end and a delivery was early? :eek:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
We haven't had a delivery, it looks like we've managed to allocate a card to your order. Lucky for you :)

misterdave

Enthusiast
It's now just entered testing, how can it be properly tested if it doesnt have a graphics card? Or do you have one you use for testing? Or are then graphics cards not tested just CPU+RAM etc? Or did the world end and a delivery was early? :eek:

Sweeney I can confirm that you have a nice HD5870 sat in your PC, as we speak (or type) zeplini is working on it.

Sweeney47

and do you have street and house number? so I can go knocking if things go bad? :D

Good to hear I have acquired a card, was just very curious to get an email telling me its in testing :p

Sweeney47

Well its alive and seemingly running well, just doing basics atm, then ill work on getting the games up and running and let you know :D

Sweeney47

Just one question, now I have the Maelstrom case and there isnt a side fan, im assuming its because I have the water cooler rather than a fan cooler so thats fine, does that mean ive opted out of shiney lights? or do I need to turn it on somehow?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The lights can be turned on using the switch on the side panel. Look halfway down this picture to the right-hand side of the mesh:

4_big.jpg

Sweeney47

All I have is a rectangular hole with two circular holes either side, no switch

Another thing, ive just downloaded some temp monitors and they're reporting the CPU Idling at about 40 degrees c using the Eco ALC cooler (NOT the 240 version) Is this about normal for the i7 930? I was expecting less with a WC system... Or is it just that the WC'er isnt running full potential as its idle?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
All I have is a rectangular hole with two circular holes either side, no switch

In that case we've removed the fan and the switch to turn it on because of the water cooling kit.

For the CPU - 40 degrees for an i7-930 is absolutely fine for an idle temp, and probably a good few degrees lower than a fan based cooler at idle.

Sweeney47

ok thanks for the info PCS, thing is quiet as hell... well until the DVD drive started getting used :D

I assumed the fan had gone because of the WC but its a shame I lose the lights as well

Last edited: