My Octane III GTX1080 6700k

pauhay158

Does anyone know if the Nvidia GeForce Experience software is compatible with these laptops with them being series 10? Can't see why they wouldn't be to be fair.

Paul.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Does anyone know if the Nvidia GeForce Experience software is compatible with these laptops with them being series 10? Can't see why they wouldn't be to be fair.

Paul.

Works fine. You need to register now with the latest update though. I used it to record my flight posted in another thread earlier.

pauhay158

Cheers guys.

I have had an Nvidia account for some time so all good and I quite like the new layout and features.

Thanks for all the advice and help!

Will be back for help with clocking ;-)

Paul.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I decided to try and pull the undervolt in even more. Managed a -180mv underclock with no issues. I also changed the paste to thermal grizzly, hopefully it'll last better than it did the last time. It actually gave me an even higher Firestrike score. Unbelievable machine. I wonder if this means I won the silicone lottery?

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/10348991

Fan profile was overclocked, NOT Max, and I hit a maximum of 79C on the CPU and 70C on the GPU. I didn't even get maximum utilisation with the CPU either.

pauhay158

So did the last re-paste that you did not last too good then man?

Paul.

I decided to try and pull the undervolt in even more. Managed a -180mv underclock with no issues. I also
changed the paste to thermal grizzly, hopefully it'll last better than it did the last time. It actually gave me an even higher Firestrike score. Unbelievable machine. I wonder if this means I won the silicone lottery?

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/10348991

Fan profile was overclocked, NOT Max, and I hit a maximum of 79C on the CPU and 70C on the GPU. I didn't even get maximum utilisation with the CPU either.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The last time I used grizzly it dried up. That was a couple of years ago though. I think it lasted about 6 months.

pauhay158

Ouch! Don't need that mate!

Is "overclocked" a stock fan profile or did you create it yourself based on custom curves?

How you finding gaming on that beast man?

Paul.

The last time I used grizzly it dried up. That was a couple of years ago though. I think it lasted about 6 months.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Ouch! Don't need that mate!

Is "overclocked" a stock fan profile or did you create it yourself based on custom curves?

How you finding gaming on that beast man?

Paul.

It's a stock fan profile. You can create your own if you like though. There are 4 power plan options easily configured via the Clevo Control Centre. It's fairly straight forward to use.

I'm not much of a gamer to be honest but it's absolutely torn through everything I've thrown at it. The biggest challenge I have given it is Microsoft Flight Simulator. I can actually make it struggle with certain settings enabled, it puts most systems to shame though.

pauhay158

Awesome!

Can't wait to try this beast!

Only problem I have is waiting....I hate waiting haha.

Cheers for all the cool advice man.

Paul.

It's a stock fan profile. You can create your own if you like though. There are 4 power plan options easily configured via the Clevo Control Centre. It's fairly straight forward to use.

I'm not much of a gamer to be honest but it's absolutely torn through everything I've thrown at it. The biggest challenge I have given it is Microsoft Flight Simulator. I can actually make it struggle with certain settings enabled, it puts most systems to shame though.

pauhay158

Out of interest, has anyone tried the Thunderbolt interface for Video yet? I know that Thunderbolt supports 4K output at 60Hz just the same as Display Port or HDMI 2 does but never heard of anyone trying it. According to the spec sheet, the Octane III should have 2 USB3.1 (C) / Thunderbolt ports so does that mean you can run 3 displays including the built-in one?

Paul.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I believe you can run 3 screens at the one time. You may even be able to run 3 external monitors while giving up the laptop panel. I believe 3 is the limit but I do not know for certain.

pauhay158

Cool man, just reading the manual last night and it seems that there is one Thunderbolt port and one other USB3.1 (C) port. When using the Thunderbolt as a display port (enabled in the BIOS) it disables Display Port 1. So seems that with HDMI, DP2 and TB you can have 3 screens but not sure if that would disable the laptop screen so that's pretty impressive.

I believe you can run 3 screens at the one time. You may even be able to run 3 external monitors while giving up the laptop panel. I believe 3 is the limit but I do not know for certain.

pauhay158

Hey guys,

Slightly off topic, but what's everyone's preferred pasting method?

I tend to use the "pea ball" or "line" method.

Paul.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
So I'm a couple of weeks in now and absolutely loving it. The laptop is a complete power house. Something of real note that I hadn't mentioned before is the DAC amp that's built into the laptop. It's absolutely stunning. I'm not quite an audiophile but I love my music and I love level 11. Pushing it through my Philips M1BT headphones the music absolutely pops. Nothing like I've ever heard before so that's real credit to Clevo for including something but not shouting it from the rooftops. I believe the hardware involved is from Sabre and a few other manufacturers are also employing the tech.

Fast doesn't even begin to describe this. There are a few caveats though. Unfortunately to get the most out of it you really need to know your way around overclocking and the BIOS software. I wouldn't let this put you off if you haven't looked at it before as I feel it's an avenue that any serious Gamer/Techy should be going down regardless. Basically the laptop needs an undervolt to run sweet. Let me put it this way, I'm currently running a 175mv undervolt and a 4.2GHz overclock. THAT'S how overpowered this chip is in this chassis. There's so much excess heat as stock that it's no wonder people complain about the temps. The 1080 though? Oh my that's a thing to behold. I've threw everything but the kitchen sink at it and it's absolutely cruised everything. Before even purchasing the laptop I read as much as I could. The recommended max for the GPU was approx 85C and the recommended max for the CPU was the same, with the occasional peak to 90 being "OK". I just sat and played the latest Tomb Raider for an hour and my GPU didn't even get past 72 DegC. 1 core of the CPU maxed out at 86 with the rest between 75 and 80.

There is only one additional negative that I've noticed and I'm not sure what it's down to. For whatever reason the ALT-codes don't work. I just tried to type ALT-248 for a degree symbol above (as I've done loads of times) and it doesn't work. I tried various other ALT codes and I can't get them to work. Not sure what the issue is here but I'll be looking into it as I'm curious more than anything.

pauhay158

Cheers for the update Scotster. Just makes waiting for my build all the more painful haha. Hopefully should only have another 2 weeks left as I'm on day 13 now and the average is around 16 days at the mo.

Having read other threads I just hope my 4k screen is Gsync although the Clevo forums seem to suggest it will be as it's the newer model.

Good to hear that the sound is good as my laptop will be 50% gaming and 50% audio production.

NobleStone

Thanks for the write up.

I'm debating whether to go for this or the Defiance 3 albeit with a lower, 1060 based set up.

Heat & Fan Noise are a big issue for me, good to know those temps can be kept low with the octane although not straight out of the box. Haven't pasted a CPU for a few years and never undervolted before, but like you say it would be good to learn.