My Octane III GTX1080 6700k

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I just hammered COD Infinite Warfare for 2 hours with the laptop on my lap. 63°C on the GPU and 83°C on the CPU @ 4.4GHz. Oh hell yes! :D

pauhay158

I just hammered COD Infinite Warfare for 2 hours with the laptop on my lap. 63°C on the GPU and 83°C on the CPU @ 4.4GHz. Oh hell yes! :D

Nice clock man!

I'm still running 4.2 with a 170mV underclock, stable so far.

I had a decent 2 hour stint on Doom last night. All settings maxed and then maxed a bit more, full 4K and got max temps of 70 CPU and 65 GPU. FPS never dropped below 60 as far as I could tell, was too busy ****ting myself!

Amazing game by the way haha.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I was over the moon with it at 4.2. I think there may be power limitations on the 775 anyway as the clocks drop to 4.0GHz when the GPU is at full chat. With it set at 4.2 I didn't see any drop whatsoever. I may try it at 4.3 to see what happens. It's definitely not thermal throttling but it may be power throttling lol.

pauhay158

Yeah man, sounds good!

I haven't seen any issues at 4.2GHz and haven't had any throttling that I can see at least so loving this setup so far.

A rig more powerful than my previous desktop in a backpack!

pauhay158

Sorry for the newbie question perhaps, but does overclocking, and under volting have an effect on the longevity of the components ?

Hey man,

Technically, yes. But the likelinesss that you will see any degradation in the life cycle of a typical desktop chip is pretty low.

I've always overclocked my chips in every build and the longest I've had one PC for was about 4 years with no issues.

Paul.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
And undervolting should, if anything, help preserve the chip's lifespan, as you're reducing the voltage and the temps that the component is subjected to.

JDA1982

Might sound like an odd question but how big is the box it's delivered in and does it have a carry handle? Mine is arriving at a DPD drop off centre tomorrow and if it can be carried with relative ease I can pick it up earlier in the day, otherwise I'll wait until after work when I can use the car. I'd only have to carry it for half a mile so I am tempted to do that.

Also is it fairly straightforward undervolting and overclocking the GPU and CPU on this laptop? I'm probably going to try to undervolt the CPU but still get 4-4.2ghz from it for heat management.

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The box is absolutely HUGE. If the OC program installs OK then it's a doddle.

David010203

Hi The_Scotster,

Just ran Firestrike on my Octane as well and I've got a really inferior score compared to yours.
Specifically talking about graphics score. Don't really know why that's happening :/
firestrike.jpgfirestrike.jpg

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That's fairly low. I would expect another 2k from that. Could you run it, click "Compare results online" and then post up the link so that I can have a look at your CPU/GPU data?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Ahh I think I've sussed it. You either have V-Sync permanently enabled or you have updated to the latest drivers that lock the V-Sync when G-Sync is turned on. Go into the Nvidia control panel, click on "Set up G-Sync" and then deselect the tick to disable G-Sync. Re-run the test and it should all be rosy.

Notice that your FPS is basically exactly the refresh rate of the monitor :D

That's awful, did you run it on battery only?

I can't remember (oops)

I am truly clueless with all this sort of stuff (my laptop is <1 week old) so literally just pressed run test and nothing else. Haven't altered any settings on my laptop since it arrived, hence why i'm in this thread trying to educate myself :(

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
You're running a GTX1060, not a 1080 so that's a good score. The best results with that GPU are in the 11000's but that's with an OC on the CPU & the GPU.