My old Vortex needs some TLC - power problem

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
Any repair experts out there?

My laptop has started making an occasional snap-crackle-pop noise, and the battery charging cuts in and out.

Any suggestions? (Apart from the obvious "It's 7.5 years old what did you expect buy a new one")

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I can't help with the fault but if it's charging related (as it sounds to be) I would be sure to never leave it on charge and unattended (like overnight). There may be a fire risk there....

D

Deleted member 17413

I had a Vortex and it still shows as having returns/RMA if I look at my order. (2013)
Over 7 years of use and i'd imagine the port itself may well just have worn over time/knocked a little, but ive had such things like that repaired before so if PCS have replacement parts... at least worth asking the question.

Issue is going to be cost, vs the idea that it may be a better idea to upgrade rather than start the slope of repair bills given its age.
How much life do you feel is left in it, and how many repairs might be likely to keep it going as its gets older.

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
Just got it back from the chap round the corner that runs his own computer repair company. He's replaced the thermal grease, inspected the electronics and mounting, and come to the conclusion that everything is ok inside now, but that the psu cable is a bit dodgy and sometimes needs a wiggle to connect. This is not related to the snap-crackle-pop that was happening, that was internal and something to do with the fans not being seated correctly.

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
Latest update: for a few months now, it won't run on battery at all. Disconnect cable, instant off. And I replaced the battery with a new one only a couple of years ago.

barlew

Godlike
Latest update: for a few months now, it won't run on battery at all. Disconnect cable, instant off. And I replaced the battery with a new one only a couple of years ago.
Did you get the exact same battery as replacement or did you get a knock off?