My PC from PCS

mog3

Silver Level Poster
Just thought I'd share my specs as just joined forum, had PC about 5-6 weeks

PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE
Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-4930K (3.4GHz) 12MB Cache
ASUS® P9X79 LE: INTEL® SOCKET LG2011
16GB KINGSTON HYPERX BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB KIT)
3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1TB SEAGATE HYBRID GEN3 SSHD Drive, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (5400 rpm)
CORSAIR 750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ MODULAR TXM-750 V2-80 PLUS®
Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
What a beast.

How are you finding the hybrid drive? I have my doubts about them, but that's purely based on others reviews. How do you find using it day to day?

My misgivings about them stem from the fact the SSD is fairly small and the mechanical part only spins at 5400rpm, meaning you often end up loading from the mechanical drive with takes a bit longer. Just curious how your finding it.

cheers.

mog3

Silver Level Poster
I'm finding it pretty amazing on gaming etc, everything on ultra (BF4 80-160+ fps depending on server I use), the hybrid I am finding better than HDD but is still struggling to keep up and load games etc, so I have bought a Samsung 250gb evo to install for OS and my main stuff & games.

Did have a few teething problems at start, didn't find out (im gonna sound like a noob) about the GPU packaging until was opening up case to return old for replacement as the paperwork that was supposed to be attach to the case was missing!
Been getting some crashes which the Tech Help guys are being brilliant with support, just got to back up my Bios etc & sort that so hopefully that will be solved soon!

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Did have a few teething problems at start, didn't find out (im gonna sound like a noob) about the GPU packaging until was opening up case to return old for replacement as the paperwork that was supposed to be attach to the case was missing!

I did the same! No sticker telling me to open the case to remove the insta-pack foam, I was too excited to check so just got on with it. 3 days later I booted it up and it sounded like a lawnmower! Turns out the foam had been disabling 2 of my fans and had eventually got caught in one of my working ones.. luckily no damage caused :)

mog3

Silver Level Poster
BTW, the other thing with not having put a SSD in as main drive straight away is that all my hardware etc is top on the windows experience index but I am then let down by the drive which is what your final index score is!!!

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Yea the WEI is naff but it's not rated as a proper benchmarking tool anyway so don't worry about it. Mine was 5.9'ish with a Caviar Black but is 7.x with my SSD, doesn't really matter though :)

The main disadvantage to not having an SSD straight away is having to do a clean install of your operating system and then in most cases formatting your old drive. I don't think you HAVE to format the old one but it helps get rid of the rubbish that was lingering on there. Obviously all the important stuff can be backed up but when it comes to things like games then sometimes it's just easier to reinstall the ones you're actually going to play! Got my games library from like 800gb to 100gb after my reformat as I only keep the ones I play on there :)

mog3

Silver Level Poster
Yea the WEI is naff but it's not rated as a proper benchmarking tool anyway so don't worry about it. Mine was 5.9'ish with a Caviar Black but is 7.x with my SSD, doesn't really matter though :)

The main disadvantage to not having an SSD straight away is having to do a clean install of your operating system and then in most cases formatting your old drive. I don't think you HAVE to format the old one but it helps get rid of the rubbish that was lingering on there. Obviously all the important stuff can be backed up but when it comes to things like games then sometimes it's just easier to reinstall the ones you're actually going to play! Got my games library from like 800gb to 100gb after my reformat as I only keep the ones I play on there :)

Hey, yep my hybrid hdd is showing at 5.9!
Is it best/easier to do clean install of O/S rather than migration, never done it before, so any tips or links to advice would be appreciated, gonna try at the weekend to do some bits!

This is a photo of case

case2.jpg

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Is it best/easier to do clean install of O/S rather than migration, never done it before, so any tips or links to advice would be appreciated, gonna try at the weekend to do some bits!

I know there are some pieces of software that can migrate it (I think Samsung do one with their SSD's). However, I was always advised to do a clean install just to avoid any issues and it wasn't too much hassle.

It's literally just a case of plug the SSD in while unplugging your old hard drive, open BIOS and set DVD to top priority boot order, inset windows disc and restart pc and then follow all the instructions. Then once you've installed windows you can re-install your old hard drive and format it (make sure the SSD is top in your boot order in the bios), just keeping important things backed up to an external hard drive.

This seems to be a pretty comprehensive guide: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/desktop-pc/3374767/install-ssd-in-your-pc/?pn=1