My PC order has finally arrived :) quick question about O.C

Rakk

The Awesome
If you don't know how to overclock yourself, the best advice is for you to take it seriously and read up and around overclocking. If you get it wrong you can damage your components, and invalidate your warranty.

I can only agree with this, also remember that what may work for one i7-7700k may not work for another, none of them are identical - for instance yours may be overclock stably at 5Ghz, or it may only get to a stable max of 4.6Ghz - unfortunately this is just how the silicon lottery works.

And no I'm afraid I can't give any OC'ing advice as I've never done it.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
You can contact PCS and ask if they could share the settings they use. You will need to still read their guide though :) and fiddle with it to reach a stable overclock

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
so telling me to read a guide isn't that helpful either then is it? because every cpu is different, cant follow a guide ;/
Guides tell you about the process of overclocking for you to safely do it yourself on any CPU.

maybe because I was slightly over my budget as it is?
If you'd actually engaged with the advice we could have covered things like dropping the SSD to fund other hardware, etc. But you didn't. Also if you're paying PCS to build the PC for you, £9 more to OC it for you if you didn't have a clue would probably have been worth it. But we never got that far in the discussion...

When people ask about overclocking on the forums I usually reassure them that it's easy, that there are lots of free guides, and that it's very hard to damage your hardware if you follow the guides and be careful.

But there is a topic I saw on Tom's Hardware where some guy did actually fry their hardware by entering a random voltage... so there are always risks, especially if you don't do it incrementally and read up guides.

Trying to deny reality just to win an argument against people who are actually trying to advise you in your best interests, isn't helping.

If you want to easy overclock, you can have the motherboard do it for you. Note this still risks your warranty, may give your CPU too much voltage, and cause other problems. But the auto-overclock stuff is actually a lot better than it used to be, and is better than entering random numbers. Make sure to stability test anything you end up with. The OC guides will tell you how to do that...

Last edited:

JSanderson99

Bronze Level Poster
Guides tell you about the process of overclocking for you to safely do it yourself on any CPU.

If you'd actually engaged with the advice we could have covered things like dropping the SSD to fund other hardware, etc. But you didn't. Also if you're paying PCS to build the PC for you, £9 more to OC it for you if you didn't have a clue would probably have been worth it. But we never got that far in the discussion...

When people ask about overclocking on the forums I usually reassure them that it's easy, that there are lots of free guides, and that it's very hard to damage your hardware if you follow the guides and be careful.

But there is a topic I saw on Tom's Hardware where some guy did actually fry their hardware by entering a random voltage...

Trying to deny reality just to win an argument against people who are actually trying to advise you in your best interests, isn't helping.
yeah but that's what I mean, the guides go into stuff like bclk and flck or somethings, cache and all sorts of things and as clearly stated this is my first proper pc that I actually go into bios with.

JSanderson99

Bronze Level Poster
you say read up a guide but entering a voltage from a guide is bad? cant enter a voltage then can I, if I cant use what the guide recommends. somewhat pointless.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
yeah but that's what I mean, the guides go into stuff like bclk and flck or somethings, cache and all sorts of things and as clearly stated this is my first proper pc that I actually go into bios with.

So learn about what they do. You have to factor in several settings for overclocking, you’ll need to know what each one does.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If a guide by Asus recommends a voltage you can certainly use that as a guide... you just need to understand the rest of the guide as well or else it doesn't mean much.

I edited my post to talk about auto-overclocking, in case you missed it. Note that auto-overclocking is still not recommended vs carefully and patiently doing it yourself.

Alternatively if you don't know what you're doing, just don't do it. Overclocking is great, but it's not essential and may not make much of a difference. Use your PC at stock speeds until you are more comfortable with the complex stuff.

JSanderson99

Bronze Level Poster
If a guide by Asus recommends a voltage you can certainly use that as a guide... you just need to understand the rest of the guide as well or else it doesn't mean much.

I edited my post to talk about auto-overclocking, in case you missed it. Note that auto-overclocking is still not recommended vs carefully and patiently doing it yourself.

Alternatively if you don't know what you're doing, just don't do it. Overclocking is great, but it's not essential and may not make much of a difference. Use your PC at stock speeds until you are more comfortable with the complex stuff.

I found the motherboard has a 5ghz profile. if I apply this would it change only the cpu stuff or would I have to enable stuff like xmp again for ram or is only the cpu effected?

JSanderson99

Bronze Level Poster
this was the page on asus site.

asus5g.png

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
No idea how so many of you still have the patience to reply to someone so rude and angry. Kudos to you lot.

JSanderson99

Bronze Level Poster
well to be honest a simple yes or no answer wouldn't of been hard, I decided to ignore and try anyway with a 4.6ghz core and 4.4ghz cache at 1.3v and all seems to be fine, system has not crashed yet.

JSanderson99

Bronze Level Poster
if you don't want my replies, then next time you know to just answer the question, the amount of posts where people come along and post not what the author was waiting for. I came on the forums for help and told to read a guide, anyone would of thought of that, think I didn't already read one up?

EDIT: Because as I was stating earlier, I wasn't asking if only those 2 things need changing to anything, I was just asking if there the only 2 options required to overclock.

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
if you don't want my replies, then next time you know to just answer the question
, the amount of posts where people come along and post not what the author was waiting for. I came on the forums for help and told to read a guide, anyone would of thought of that, think I didn't already read one up?.

Difficult to give advice if they are ignore. I think the lack of a specific reply was not to try to make you mess up your system. Considering your tone I am assuming there won’t be a next time as don’t think people are keen on helping you. You are right that anyone could have though of reading a guide but don’t think you did it. Don’t think it is difficult either as there are plenty of guides and tutorials that you can watch/read.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Frankly mate you ignore anything that isn't exactly what you have already decided you want to hear.