My reservoir is bigger than your reservoir?

badsector

I was simply wondering if it helps to have a greater quantity of liquid in the water cooling loop?
The usual internal reservoirs are quite small, and the AIO CPU coolers don't even have a reservoir.
If you have say a buckets size worth of external reservoir, would that help with temperatures? I might have heard of people putting ice cubes into the external reservoir.
My guess is that you also need a bigger radiator area to cool the liquid.
Just wondering.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I was simply wondering if it helps to have a greater quantity of liquid in the water cooling loop?
The usual internal reservoirs are quite small, and the AIO CPU coolers don't even have a reservoir.
If you have say a buckets size worth of external reservoir, would that help with temperatures? I might have heard of people putting ice cubes into the external reservoir.
My guess is that you also need a bigger radiator area to cool the liquid.
Just wondering.
It's down to the cooling lane, how long and complex it is and how many components you're cooling.

If you've got a build with 6 GPU's and 2 CPU's, you'll need a larger reservoir than it you're just cooling 1 GPU and 1 CPU as there's more liquid within the chain and needs a larger pump to circulate it.

For temps though, that's more down to the radiator and pump. The greater surface area of the radiator ie 360mm vs 240mm, that greater surface area can cool more water at the rate set by the pump and therefor keep temps down better.

There's a new closed loop cryo cooler that was created by Intel of all people and is supposed to be even more effective at lowering temps:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I could be completely wrong on the reservoir, the good folks at Linus Tech Tips see no benefit in having a larger reservoir other than aesthetics and they're far better at this stuff than me!:

badsector

I had spotted the CPU blocks with additional TEC, but the problem now is to remove the heat from the CPU and the TEC, given that the TECs are not efficient. I did play around with TEC cooling many many years ago (for fun). I've still got a TEC based CPU cooler which I "won" on Ebay, which has never been used.
I wondered if the total volume of water in the reservoir and loop is larger then it heats up slower as compared with a smaller quantity of water in the loop.
As I mentioned I just have this picture in my head of dropping ice cubes into the large external reservoir box (needs no lid) :)
I'm rambling now :-(