My upcoming Record Cleaning Machine

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There's a common misconception that vinyl playback has an inherent problem with clicks and pops or static noise. I think when I was growing up, this was certainly the impression I had but realise now my Dad had pretty cheap equipment and certainly didn't look after his records. But a properly clean and well produced record will be as quiet in the background as any CD (on a reasonable system). If you're experiencing clicks and pops, it's either a defect in the pressing (which can happen), or it's some kind of dirt like dust or finger grease. So cleaning a record can mean turning it from a noisy static sounding mess to something far far better.

In the vinyl world, pretty much anything audio related carries a ginormous mark-up, it's just an unfortunate reality to the hobby, I guess because it's quite niche once you're getting into mid range stuff, so volumes are low, plus it's such exacting design wise (tiny tolerances required almost everywhere) that I think actually making a lot of the stuff must be very expensive.

When it comes to record cleaning, there are 3 main tiers:

1/. A manual cleaning setup using some form of solution usually in distilled water, often with brushes that go over the record and try to brush out any debris, then you just leave the record to air dry. These tend to be "cheap", the word should be cheaper, because for what they are they're extortionate! A very popular one is the "Spin Clean" which is the one I currently use. It's all plastic, I only bought it because it seemed popular but haven't found it does any particular good with my records, and I just don't like the idea of a grain of something getting stuck between the record and the brush and causing a scratch, so I barely use it.

This is it, it's literally just a plastic bath with a couple of rollers that the record sits on and you manually turn it. Costs £80 which I think is daylight robbery!

711bW7twnIL.jpg

2/. Then you get Vacuum automatic RCM's, these are essentially the same idea, although it's automated and spins on a motorised platter as you brush over the solution, or some of the more expensive options will automate applying the solution. Then a vacuum rod will run over the surface of the record and suck up any residual moisture and dirt.

81fwXD9bMaL._AC_SY450_.jpg

These are certainly more effective, and there are some semi reasonably priced options like the Okki Nokki, or the the Project VC-S2 BUT there's still the complexity of a physical contact with the record which I really don't feel comfortable with.

3/. Then, the cream of the crop is Ultrasonic machines. These have been used for decades in the Medical profession, or often in high end kitchens to surgically clean utensils and surgical implements. The idea is an ultrasonic signal is broadcast into a bath of warmed water, this signal creates small bubbles that then burst creating what's called "cavitation", and this process is quite effective at getting into the grooves and disrupting hard to remove skin oils and ground in dust. AND, there's zero contact anywhere, the bubbles don't wear the record at all, it's a really great solution.

I've always been dreaming of an Ultrasonic cleaner, there are DIY kits which you can pick up but they're really designed for jewelry cleaning, and I was really hoping to get something properly designed for records.

The major drawback of Ultrasonic though, is the price. Pretty much all "proper" vinyl cleaners run over £2000, there are some really famous ones like the Degritter (£2500) or KLAudio (£3500). This just isn't within my reach by any means whatsoever. Under about £2000 they're all mainly DIY apaptations of Jewelry cleaning kits.

Recently though a Kids Toy company called HappyWell Tech (based in Hong Kong) started a kickstarter to make a low cost mass produced Ultrasonic, I've followed it since the kickstarter which was about a 2 years ago now, and watched closely for any reviews since, and while there have been issues with some boards shorting out, HappyWell support has been absolutely first class, and they honour a decent warranty in every case I've seen.

To make things even better, they've recently partnered with establishments around the world as official distributors, and who can liaise with HappyWell for support issues. In the UK this is Juno who are one of the top Music websites in the UK from my experience, I've been buying records and record boxes from them for years and they've always been incredible.

So I'm now gonna get one (on Wednesday). I'm so excited, cleaning records is essential, especially as it took me a few years to work out how to properly handle them so a lot of my early collection have finger oils on them that needs removing, plus I've been buying quite a few older 60's and 70's second hand records that all need a proper clean

So this is what I'm getting, it's called the HumminGuru and is about 1/6th the price of most other taylor made solutions. It's got great reviews generally, of course, it's never going to be as effective as one of the "proper" machines, but at the pricepoint, I'm not expecting any miracles but for my needs I think it's going to be superb.

It's all automatic, has an air filter, water filter, water heater and even dries the record after cleaning

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
slightly old vid but snazzy labs did a video on this in 2020

I really like him and he's seriously into vinyl playback, has an incredible system, this video was when I started looking into ultrasonics, and happened to be around the same time the HumminGuru started the Kickstarter.

The top tier Degritter he uses at the end is probably one of the most popular BUT it's £2500.

If I could afford it that's what I'd ultimately like to get but there's absolutely no way I could justify the price even if I was earning a hell of a lot more

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I swear, I'm not trolling.... I couldn't hear any difference in the "clean" and "dirty" at the start of that video. I absolutely believe the difference is huge, I just cant hear it.

Do I need to listen to the video not on a laptop to hear it..... or am I simply doomed.

TBH I'm happy with the ignorance is bliss side. If I was to get a record cleaner, it would absolutely be the ultrasonic variant though. They're brilliant.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I swear, I'm not trolling.... I couldn't hear any difference in the "clean" and "dirty" at the start of that video. I absolutely believe the difference is huge, I just cant hear it.

Do I need to listen to the video not on a laptop to hear it..... or am I simply doomed.

TBH I'm happy with the ignorance is bliss side. If I was to get a record cleaner, it would absolutely be the ultrasonic variant though. They're brilliant.
Youtube is crap in the way it compresses audio streams so it's doubtful you'd hear the difference even on an incredible system.

My purpose wouldn't be so much for new records which a lot of people say are dirty out of the factory. Most of the ones I get through may be dirty but I can't see it or hear it (that I know of)

Sometimes I do get some through that are really bad, almost anything on the Pink Floyd catalogue and on NinjaTune as 2 examples.

But I've been collecting some older 60s classical records and my parents old collection was never very well cared for, those could do with a serious clean. I've got one Stevie Wonder album as well I bought second hand and doesn't sound great. And then once in a while I'll clean records I play a lot just to clear the dust.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I once helped my sister out by cleaning her record collection with acetone...the sound became rather muted after that (which in my 12-year old opinion was not a bad thing for the Bros/Rick Astley albums)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well colour me impressed, I’ve only done one double album so far, but it’s a stubborn one that was mishandled and had finger grease on the outer edge that made the first minute or so of each opening track very crackly and poppy.

One pass through with the HumminGuru without surfactant has vastly improved it, to NM aside from one pop, but I’d run this through a few times on my old SpinClean manual system and it never managed to even make a dent in it.

There’s a thread here if you’re interested, you don’t have to sign up to read it:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So TLDR on this.

I've cleaned about 15 records, 9 or so albums and 6 7" singles.

It's not going to magically improve a worn record which was the case on some of the 7" that were literally pennies from discogs. It frustrates me that since sellers see something as low cost, they choose to give really inacurate grading.

But one 7" which is a great favorite of mine, Angel Of The Morning by Juice Newton, that sounded really poor, and no joke, with the use of surfactant, it's gone from a g or g+, lowest of the low, to a VG+ being conservative. It sounds remarkably good and was a record I was literally going to throw in the bin.

Some of the albums also were noisy out of the factory, especially the new Cinematic Orchestra - Every Day 10th Anniversary from NinjaTune, all NinjaTune records are really noisy out of the packaging, this one I was very surprised at how much of an improvement the HumminGuru made.

Overall, for the ease of use, the AIO that it fully dries the record as part of the program, and with the use of the HumminGuru surfactant (just a couple of drops in the water), this is a surprisingly capable system for the money, I'm really impressed.

Last edited: