My verdict on BF3...

Dayve

Worth the wait and one of the only (possibly the only) games to ever live up to such epic hype. I especially love the sound. I don't even have a sound card or expensive headset and the sound is amazing. Especially the explosions and distant gunfire. One could get shellshock playing this too long.

Bugs - just a few graphical glitches from what I've seen so far.
Server joining thing - absolute naff, but I'll get used to it.

What does everyone else think?

What do you mean "We didn't need a new thread for this"? I AM THE EMPEROR OF ROME AND ABOVE POSTING IN OLD THREADS!

:D

NMEBowen

Master Poster
Im with frenchy i like battle log means you can check info while the game is running and i think it makes the game feel that bit more hands on(dont know why i just think it does)

Dayve

After playing it for a few hours yesterday and all morning + all afternoon today, (and also discovering that by going to sound options you can change the sound thing to "war sounds" or something like that, which makes the weapon and explosion sounds even more epic than they already are) I can dfinitely say this is one awesome game. It sounds like a weird thing to say but it's amazing that only now, after so many years of FPS games, is there finally a game where the weapons sound like real life weapons!

Last edited:

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I gotta agree, the sound is incredible on this game, ive still yet to try it with my Z5500 speakers, ive only been using my other speakers for now since my main oens are plugged into telly. Ive also used my X41's though and it sounds ***** epic lolol

Stappa

Enthusiast
IMO I'm very impressed with the game(not played more than 4 hrs online thou,and haven't looked at the SP campaign)I am now seriously considering a 2nd 580 and a Nvidia Surround 3 screen setup??

Pros:

Gorgeous looking maps esp Grand Bazaar&Tehran Highway

As said previously,the sound effects are incredible(even through headphones,let alone my AV setup)

The ingame 'Atmosphere' is incredibly realistic(u really feel like ur there)

Cons:

I'm not sure about the web based Battle Log,is feels 'cheap'??

BF3 is extremely demanding on PC's,my rig on default gives me very high ingame GFX levels,but not ultra(I think 2 options were set to ultra by default)saying that I set all to ultra and get between 40-60 fps

logging into servers is awkward,as are the random 'disconnects'(yes I've updated all game/PB files and have the latest 580 drivers)

No damn Karkland yet lol

Oh u can throw a grenade/or use a knife thrust etc with a one button press(mouse thumb buttons),as u could in BFBC2,u now need to select grenade then L click to throw??

Last edited:

Barnaby89

Definitely worth the wait. I've had 1 or 2 disconnects but they are very rare for me.

Game runs very smooth, noticed server lag every so often but again it's minimal tbh.

Loving it so far :)

Mattyp

Enthusiast
I'm loving it! The gun play is intense, and maps are very well designed. I've had a few graphic glitches crop up, and a few disconnects but nothing major and overall the experience is great. The game browser is unusual but I certainly don't dislike it. I quite like being able to browse facebook whilst finding a match!

Has anyone managed to get the hang of the jets yet? I can't fly the jets or the helicopters and just seem to suicide everytime! Loving the tanks though.

Serendipity

Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads up Dayve, I might get it at some point. +1

How did your AMD HD 6970 handle the graphics by the way?

JSG10

Expert
I'm loving it! The gun play is intense, and maps are very well designed. I've had a few graphic glitches crop up, and a few disconnects but nothing major and overall the experience is great. The game browser is unusual but I certainly don't dislike it. I quite like being able to browse facebook whilst finding a match!

Has anyone managed to get the hang of the jets yet? I can't fly the jets or the helicopters and just seem to suicide everytime! Loving the tanks though.

Nope!! lol I can just about fly a Heli... just. And Jets I CAN fly but I fly around for ages and ages not being able to shoot anyone, then eventually end up out of bounds or crash into something and die lol
Had an epic Jet crash a couple of days ago, 3 of us in the air in Jets, 1 enemy the other guy was my ally, we were both trying to take him out and spectacularly managed to crash straight into each other lmao

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Need to go on a quiet server...firstly to reduce embarrassment when crashing all the time, but also because just like BF2...can never even get in the blinkin things! (I swear some people just feel like they are entitled to fly them every spawn :D )

I much prefer the mini gun seat in the large helis...can just fire away, not a care in the world :D

Mattyp

Enthusiast
Yeah I much prefer being in the gunner seat of a heli. To be honest I'm not a big fan of the Jets, but only because the whole team seems to want to ***** them, and then when they're in the air they don't offer much support other than for dog fighting.

Dayve

Textures at ultra, everything else at high, 16x MSAA (i think it's msaa) and I haven't checked the FPS but it must be high because it's as smooth as you could ever dream of. I put everything up to ultra and notices some minor stuttering, but I see absolutely no difference between high and ultra settings so I just play with textures on ultra and everything else on high.

Mattyp

Enthusiast
I've been putting the settings as ultra as well on my 560ti and couldn't see any difference. Was expecting the game to just lag and be poo but nothing really happened. Wasn' tsure if that was because my graphics card or if there wasn't much difference...