NAS Bay (purchase advice )

AsifSaddique 836

Bronze Level Poster
Unfortunately my 2.5 4tb external wd drive started playing up , only had it for just over a year and now it’s vibrating and pc doesn’t recognise it, wish I kept a backup!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Unfortunately my 2.5 4tb external wd drive started playing up , only had it for just over a year and now it’s vibrating and pc doesn’t recognise it, wish I kept a backup!
External drives, it's usually the USB circuitry that fails.

Often if you break it down and remove the drive, the drive is still fully functional.

AsifSaddique 836

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for that, yeah got plenty of cables from PC.

From this pic, do I need to detach the drive further from the pc board? Looks like this is a custom built board for the drive.

Attachments

• 3369DB07-C54A-4156-B102-6F108AE86C45.jpeg
    3369DB07-C54A-4156-B102-6F108AE86C45.jpeg
    954.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Aza

Rising Star
No. Its only the outer shell (which youve already removed) what you have left in the photo is the full HDD
In your welcome pack (should of got a cardboard box with the manuals n stuff in) you should have spare sata leads and power cables.

Normally there are spare power connections already available in the case already, have a look at whats tucked in the back of the machine, theyre daisychained and often spare unusued cables or a spare port on a cable where theres 3 or 4 on one cable. The SATA data lead will be in the box and your motherboard manual should have a diagram showing you were your ports are.

This is a SSD, but cables are the same.

drivepicture.jpg

Aza

Rising Star
I believe, and I say that as I am not 100% sure, that the connector there is the USB connector. If I'm right, then that circuit board will be removable. This is what a HDD would normally look like on the connector end:

View attachment 33575

However, I haven't seen a WD drive for many years and no idea if the drives in the Elements enclosure are different or not
Oh I see what you mean.... I thought he was talking about taking the metal plate off!

Aza

Rising Star
Id take a good look at it up close before you remove any parts though, I wouldnt of thought a USB adaptor would span the whole underside of the drive like it appears to.... and they have a circuit board on one side anyway, Any chance you can get a few picks up, up close and sides/underside etc.... might be the USB bit is hardwired to the actual drive rather than an adaptor you can take off.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Looks like micro USB B to me. Can probably just get a cable for it. I would get a Y version just to make sure there's enough power.

AsifSaddique 836

Bronze Level Poster
Looks like micro USB B to me. Can probably just get a cable for it. I would get a Y version just to make sure there's enough power.
Sorry Im a little confused, it does have a micro usb b cable and have tried it and with spares , the drive vibrates and does appear on file explorer but not loading up.

to attach where?

The drives not working.