Need a name for a fish and chip shop, any suggestions?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
You wont often find me in this section of the forum so hello to anyone I've not met before. Hopefully some of you are creative enough to help me out.

Wont bore everyone with the details, but after being made redundant yesterday I am now looking to buy a fish and chip shop. Have actually been working on the idea for a couple of years now and have the premises all nailed down etc, now comes the bit I'm no good at. I need a name, nothing amazing is needed, just something original and if possible internet/social media friendly. (ie quite short)

Anyone got any ideas? However rough round the edges I'm all ears.

I would offer the winner a free Fish supper but unless one of the many Scottish peoples win, it might get a bit soggy in the post :)

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Naming it after the street isn't a bad idea, that way people always know where to find you.

Unless the street is 'Pizza lane' or something haha.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
FISH (or FASH if you wanted to keep it local...)

Chips Ahoy!

Plaice Holder (works better with a sign than on a forum...)

Super Awesome Happy Fish Time (who wouldn't want a cool acronym like SAHFT?!)

Chish and Fips (or Fips and Chish)

and of course

Deep Fried Everything! (not meant as a stereotype slur, I love Scots! :) )

All that while eating a Scotch Egg :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Chips With Everything

The Fish Plaice a play on words - geddit?

The Chippy a bit obvious but catchy

Old 'Enry's a bit obscure this one, it's from the chorus of the song "Fish & Chips" from the musical "Charlie Girl" which goes:

`Addock or Cod or Sprats or `Ake,
Filleted Dover Sole
Kippers or Scampi, Plaice or Skate,
Mackerel by the shoal
I tell yer ev'rythin's fresh and newly fried
`Ot to the finger tips,
You've never eaten till you've tried
Ol' `Enry's Fish and Chips! Oi!

http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/f/fishandchips.shtml

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Wow, those are all epic... Pretty much our best effort so far was a name that resulted in the acronym "KFC" which I suspect wouldn't go down with a certain other well knows takeaway chain. Definitely got some good ideas, keep em coming though, remember the winner gets a cold, soggy fish supper (with or without curry sauce) in the post :p

feetofclay

sorry about you being made redundant
we have a place (hah pun) near us called nemo. only they also put up signs with the disney fish from finding nemo (so not to sure how kids would react!) but maby a captain Nemo theme instead. there is always the nautilus. but then nemo means "nobody" so could backfire :p hope it all works out well. if you can fry aswell as you hand out good advice, you are sure to succeed ;)

oh and there is the frying dutchman ofcourse (ode to the simpsons)

bigben

Master Poster
Fryer's Tuck

Quite like that.

Obviously it's nice to have a decent name, but in all honesty most people don't notice. I have no idea what any of my local chippys are called. The amount of times I've rang customers who've placed pretty big orders with us and they've no idea who our company is until you say "the wood place" is crazy (you would think that if you are spending £500+ with a company you would at least remember their name?!).

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Obviously it's nice to have a decent name, but in all honesty most people don't notice. I have no idea what any of my local chippys are called. The amount of times I've rang customers who've placed pretty big orders with us and they've no idea who our company is until you say "the wood place" is crazy (you would think that if you are spending £500+ with a company you would at least remember their name?!).

100% see where your coming from, I don't know the names of many of out local ones myself. Still needs a name though, and pretty much everything posted so far is better that anything I can think of so well done :)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Oo oo

Manta Ray's

(are they fish? Who cares...also, would help if you have a guy named Ray on the front counter :) )

4ner

Enthusiast
Yes, I did come up with these myself..... ;p

Star Chip. Enterprise

'A Batter Plaice'
'A Salt N Battered'
'A Load of Pollocks'
'Apocalchips Now'
'All Wrapped Up'
'Batter the Devil you Know'
'Castaways'
'Chip Ahoy'
'Chip n' Dales'
'Chip-o'lotas'
'Chippy Chippy Bang Bang ' (oo-er!)
'Cod by Mr Chips'
'Cod Squad'
'Codfather'
'Codrophenia'
'Codswallop'
'Curl up and Fry'
'Doctor Chipargo's'
'Fat Friars'
'Fishcoteque'
'For Cod's Sake'
'Frequent Fryers'
'Frydays'
'Frying Nemo'
'Fry Hard'
'Fry-Ho Silver
'Fryer Fryer
'Fry in the Sky'
'Fried Piper'
'Fry and Fry Again'
'Get Battered'
'Halibut it'
'In Cod We Trust'
'Just for the Halibut'
'Just Codding'
'Lord of the Fries'
'Master Baiter'
'Moby Chip'
'Oh My Cod'.
'Rock and Sole'
'Salty Towers'
'Schlinder's Chips'
'Sweenies - the Frying Squad'
'The Cod Squad'
'The Laughing Halibut'
'The Fry Inn'
'The Frying Scotsman'
'The Plaice to be'
'Utterly Batterly'
'Wise Plaice'

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Mr. Chippy. Plain and simple ;D

Or you could name it after yourself, or your surname. My favourite one round here that is quite up-market kinda is called Mumford's after the owner I believe.

I look forward to my bit of fish in the post. Extra vinegar please :p

Oh and 'Phil's Yer Tum Fish & Chips'

LFFPicard

Godlike
You wont get many family customers with this one, but it will stick in your head :)

Battered Nemo
or soon to be
Battered Dory

Androcles

Rising Star
Hmn, I was under the impression that it is a legal requirement to name a fish n chip shop with a Chinese name like choy fu or ling tau or something like that now. At least that's how it seems to me every fish n ship shop within a 100 mile radius of me is a Chinese fish n chip shop now lol

how about "oh my cod"

or

the+cod+father.jpg

or one of my favourites ...

battersea_cod.jpg

Last edited:

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Very true Androcles :)

Living in Cornwall as I do, fish & chip shops are both plentiful and for the most part great.

3 years at university in Liverpool gave me a whole new perspective. I never did find a fish & chip shop, but I did find plenty of fi' a chi' shops that looked suspiciously like Chinese take aways...

I think a less cultured Cornish native might die of some sort of shock related attack if they were given fish that was deep fried in the same vat as the pork balls and crispy beef also on offer :)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Well... sorry I left this for such a long time, but who knew trying to start a business would involve a load of work... Starting to consider just working in a takeaway rather than buying one!

Thanks again everyone, definitely given some great ideas and we have been able to narrows it down to a select few that are going into the final knockout round. Just going to have a fly round the internet and look at domain names, twitter etc and will get back and let you all know what we have decided.

If I could just open this up slightly further while I have this thread going, anyone got anything they always wanted to see sold in a chip shop that hasn't been? Looking to extend the range a little.

Anyone be interested to pay a small bit more for a real quality butchers burger? Pizza made to your specifications, but uncooked for you to take home?
Anything like that, if anyone has any ideas on that they will also be gratefully received :)

feetofclay

well i know when i order or have take away i always enjoy a variety of sides, such as mozzarella sticks, stuffed jalapeños,onion rings, breaded muchrooms etc. generally things with cheese thats in breadcrumb and fried :p enjoy those more than the main meal. so i tend to go with take outs that has that to offer. i know a fish and chip shop near us do gluten free batter for people with intolerances. and people with problems will love you for it if you cater to their issues. good way to build up a loyal client base!