Need a new car...

bigben

Master Poster
Lol Keynes
hahaha lol,

lol 9 grand on a Fiesta! I mean, it looks good, low mileage, one owner, probably good MPG, But for 4-5grand you could get a very good car and still have some change.

Why don't you want a larger car btw?

What about something like this.... clicky will be much much more fun to drive. :)
Yeah I know it's a lot of money.
Tbh the main reason I want a little car is that I parallel park like a girl....
I've never really liked the impreza although I'm open to other suggestions.

I'm hoping for snow so I can build a snowman...

Haha I wouldn't mind it either, been looking forward to an opportunity to get my skis out for a while

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Lunatic :)

I'm hoping for snow so I can build a snowman...

What about a snow angel? or an Igloo? I built an Igloo with a group of young people in Feb last year. Took about 10 hours and about 15 people, but it was pretty good fun :)

sorry, ben, I can't think of any other small hatches that you would like... Mainly as i don't know much about cars... :(

Corfate

Author Level
What do you lot think of this RX8?

Lovely cars, till you learn about the engine!

Because it's a Rotary engine, you can't just turn it on and then turn it off. You've got to turn it on, then let it warm up, and only then can you turn it off. The injectors will flood the engine with Fuel if they're not warm. Horrible MPG, have to top up the oil every so many hundred miles etc..

Just a few of the problems lol

tom_gr7

Life Serving
well, this is a long shot... But Ben, you might be interested in this... clicky

and yes it's a scoob haha. Came across it on another forum.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Pretty sure the word "Kev" can be applied to that one tom :) (maybe that's a local thing, but look at the car and I think you get the idea :D )

Rakk

The Awesome
So, I don't normally visit the motoring section of these forums, but rather unfortunately I am also now looking for a new car, my current one seems to have developed a leak :( - its nearly 10 so I figure a newer car is probably the best idea cos my car is now gonna start costing a lot to fix and run :(

So I'm sorting looking at Toyota Yaris's at the mo - also looked at a Honda Jazz and some Fiestas - I'm looking for something of that size, so anyone have any other suggestions of reliable cars that are about that size - anyone any advise? (I generally do less then 6k miles a year so I do not need a big powerful car)

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Any of those would be fine Rakk :) I'd personally go for a Fiesta out of those but you'll probably have better reliability in the Yaris. What sort of budget are you looking at? Fairly new cars or maybe a few years old?

And to Tom a few posts up...

I cannot believe you think your Scooby has similar MPG to an RX8... Those figures mean diddly squat, an RX8 in day-to-day driving will get 10-15mpg, I'm fairly sure your scooby will be closer to 30mpg x) But yea, as Corfate said the RX8's are pretty expensive cars when it comes to maintenance and fuel.

Rakk

The Awesome
Any of those would be fine Rakk :) I'd personally go for a Fiesta out of those but you'll probably have better reliability in the Yaris. What sort of budget are you looking at? Fairly new cars or maybe a few years old?
I was hoping to get a year or two old, or maybe new if the price wasn't that different.

I did look at some Fiestas, but not to put to fine a point on it, the saleman (who was the sales manger) really ticked me off, he pressurized me a lot - and doing that will just make me want to flee, and the 2nd hand car they showed me had mould in the boot, they claimed it was just cos they often left the boots open so people could see in and if it rained they often didn't get them shut in time, however, I wouldn't trust that guy at all.

I think the Yaris is probably my favourite at the mo (it helps that because of my work I can get a discount on Toyotas (not a big discount but a but something is better than nothing - however this may only apply to new cars)), and looking at the finance deals they have a brand new one you can get on 0% finance whereas 2nd hand are about 5%, so over the space of however long the deals run, a 1 to 2 year old car would probably cost the same as the new one given the interest payments, getting the guy to give me a quote today taking into account part-ex'ing my Corsa and my work-related discount.

I originally decided I didn't want to spend more than 7k, however, I've had to raise that given that newer cars aren't that cheap - hey the last time I bought a car it was 8 years ago! I think the Yaris is basically right on the edge of my budget (after discounts) - gotta think some more though.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Hmmm there are quite a few deals out at the moment on new cars that work out cheaper than 1-2 year old ones plus you get things like 3 years service and 0% apr included. If I recall correctly Citroen C1's and Pug 107's are normally very cheap on new deals. There's also Volkswagen UP's and Skodo Citigo's that are cheap. At least one of those 4 cars normally has a decent deal on :)

If you get a discount at Toyota then it may well be worth going through them!

Just don't always be fooled that a 1-2 year old car will work out cheaper, once you factor in finance deals and service packages, etc then it can well be worth going for a new car or pre-registered car. I'll have a look around and see if I can see anything :)

PLAYDODGY

Bronze Level Poster
No , no were on your insurance do you have to tell them it a accident damage repaired.
The Seat is a very good car, basically its a VW, look at polo estate, reliable cheap insurance and road tax, and good fuel economy with loads of room inside.
Any of those would be good. Driven a Mondeo in the past as a company car it was ok, good motorway grinder. Im considering branching away from my general rule on my next one and getting a VW Touran (family car). I think if you can afford it, VW's are pretty strong, servicing is slightly higher than Ford and Vaux i believe though.

Do you have to pay higher insurance if they're CAT '*' damaged?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Rakk, I'd go for the Toyota. They are known to be pretty reliable. As long as you have it serviced every year you will do fine. I had a seat ibiza long story, but i wont be getting another Seat.

I'm not the best with cars, but definitely watch the slimy sleazy car salesmen. They come out with the same old lies every time,
"oh yeah mate, just came in yesterday"
"got a viewing booked this afternoon"
"yeah we mot'd and serviced it already, all good to go" - although, dealers only service/mot cars when they are sold....

Rakk

The Awesome
Rakk, I'd go for the Toyota. They are known to be pretty reliable. As long as you have it serviced every year you will do fine. I had a seat ibiza long story, but i wont be getting another Seat.
Yeah, I think I was already pretty convinced on the Toyota, my dad says they're very reliable (he used to work at a garage - only as a delivery driver until he retired - but knows quite a lot about cars - he also said to avoid French cars :))

I'm not the best with cars, but definitely watch the slimy sleazy car salesmen. .
Yeah - the guy put me off Fords just because I'd have to deal with him, the guys I spoke to at Toyota and Honda were a lot more pleasant.

I decided against one of the really smaller cars cos I take my mountain bike with me when I visit friends to go out biking, and well some of the smaller cars it'd never fit it in :).

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Tell you another a trick dealers do (and some sellers) use tire shine or spray that makes the tires black and fresh. They will then tell you they are new tires.

Rakk

The Awesome
Just as an update, I have decided to go for a Yaris, now it's just getting the best deal, and I want one of those keyless entry/start packs cos well that'd be so cool!