Need help finding a good monitor

I'm looking for a good fps but also good monitor and whether HDR is important because I found a monitor with 170fps 2560x1440p but without hdr and then there's a 144hz monitor with 2560x1440p but with hdr what should I go for?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm looking for a good fps but also good monitor and whether HDR is important because I found a monitor with 170fps 2560x1440p but without hdr and then there's a 144hz monitor with 2560x1440p but with hdr what should I go for?

What GPU is this pairing with and what kinds of games?

Why do you not want HDR? Seems odd.

And what's the budget?

DarTon

I'll assume this is for the PC you've described in another thread (5600X and 3070 GPU) and the budget is c. £300, based on your preferences above.

To be honest, my view is HDR400 can be a bit pointless in many scenarios but you can always turn it off, so there is no downside to having it. HDR is only really useful once you get to HDR600 or better. That though would put you in a higher price bracket than £300 and if your budget stretches up to £400-600 say then you could also consider 34in 1440p Ultra-wides.

Right now there are some really good deals on IPS 27in monitors in the £300 price range so it's a not a bad time to buy one. Both of your choices are good screens. The TUF has a limited black frame insertion capability and is brighter in HDR. The LG has faster response times and colour accuracy. The TUF is possibly better for 100% gaming, the LG better for mixed use. I'd take the LG but it's very marginal. In that price range, you might want to consider the Gigabyte M27Q which has better response times that the TUF and more features such as USB-C, PiP and KVM. It's negative is that it's a BGR, rather than RBG monitor, which can cause some issues with text clarity.

If you want to go a bit cheaper consider this HP monitor (https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=8GC08AA&opt=ABU&sel=MTO) for £270.

I'll assume this is for the PC you've described in another thread (5600X and 3070 GPU) and the budget is c. £300, based on your preferences above.

To be honest, my view is HDR400 can be a bit pointless in many scenarios but you can always turn it off, so there is no downside to having it. HDR is only really useful once you get to HDR600 or better. That though would put you in a higher price bracket than £300 and if your budget stretches up to £400-600 say then you could also consider 34in 1440p Ultra-wides.

Right now there are some really good deals on IPS 27in monitors in the £300 price range so it's a not a bad time to buy one. Both of your choices are good screens. The TUF has a limited black frame insertion capability and is brighter in HDR. The LG has faster response times and colour accuracy. The TUF is possibly better for 100% gaming, the LG better for mixed use. I'd take the LG but it's very marginal. In that price range, you might want to consider the Gigabyte M27Q which has better response times that the TUF and more features such as USB-C, PiP and KVM. It's negative is that it's a BGR, rather than RBG monitor, which can cause some issues with text clarity.

If you want to go a bit cheaper consider this HP monitor (https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=8GC08AA&opt=ABU&sel=MTO) for £270.
Yeah I could possibly stretch up to around £400 if the monitor is worth it. I just wasn't sure if HDR makes a massive difference or not as I've never used it but feel free to send me some monitors that you'd recommend with a max around £400 can be a little bit above

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah I could possibly stretch up to around £400 if the monitor is worth it. I just wasn't sure if HDR makes a massive difference or not as I've never used it but feel free to send me some monitors that you'd recommend with a max around £400 can be a little bit above
So for £400, I would suggest an Ultrawide to pair with the 3070 personally. I'll list some ultrawide and some standard 1440p

HDR (when done properly) is extremely beneficial, there's a great article on it HERE. Each HDR value (HDR400, HDR600 etc) denotes the peak brightness the panel can achieve under sustained white levels in NITS which are a brightness standard across all things including torches and light bulbs. The problem is it's still not particularly well established as a universal metric, and so some manufacturers often lie about the capabilities of the panel. HDR400 for example is not a valid HDR certification and means that it's not HDR, but somehow manufacturers get away with listing it on budget panels and even when they do this, you find out it can actually only achieve 350Nits, but generally HDR600 is regarded as the lowest real beneficial HDR metric. More on that HERE

This is about the only ultrawide that comes in budget and you'd sacrifice panel quality for the sake of it, just listing it as an option though, because the immersion is far greater for most people despite the sacrifices

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-CU34G2X-BK-Widescreen-3440x1440/dp/B082VHT11B - Slightly over budget but best value ultrawide

For 1440p standard displays though, given the kinds of games you play and healthy budget, Fast IPS would certainly give you the speed, colour gamut and brightness levels that may take you to a higher quality experience over the ultrawide. Personally I'm a huge fan of LG panels and their Nano IPS panels are generally regarded as some of the best performing for high refresh gaming:

By the way, I haven't hunted around for the best prices so do search on the model number and you may well find them cheaper elsewhere. Box do seem to be extremely competitive for monitors at the moment always worth looking there.

So for £400, I would suggest an Ultrawide to pair with the 3070 personally. I'll list some ultrawide and some standard 1440p

HDR (when done properly) is extremely beneficial, there's a great article on it HERE. Each HDR value (HDR400, HDR600 etc) denotes the peak brightness the panel can achieve under sustained white levels in NITS which are a brightness standard across all things including torches and light bulbs. The problem is it's still not particularly well established as a universal metric, and so some manufacturers often lie about the capabilities of the panel. HDR400 for example is not a valid HDR certification and means that it's not HDR, but somehow manufacturers get away with listing it on budget panels and even when they do this, you find out it can actually only achieve 350Nits, but generally HDR600 is regarded as the lowest real beneficial HDR metric. More on that HERE

This is about the only ultrawide that comes in budget and you'd sacrifice panel quality for the sake of it, just listing it as an option though, because the immersion is far greater for most people despite the sacrifices

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-CU34G2X-BK-Widescreen-3440x1440/dp/B082VHT11B - Slightly over budget but best value ultrawide

For 1440p standard displays though, given the kinds of games you play and healthy budget, Fast IPS would certainly give you the speed, colour gamut and brightness levels that may take you to a higher quality experience over the ultrawide. Personally I'm a huge fan of LG panels and their Nano IPS panels are generally regarded as some of the best performing for high refresh gaming:

By the way, I haven't hunted around for the best prices so do search on the model number and you may well find them cheaper elsewhere. Box do seem to be extremely competitive for monitors at the moment always worth looking there.
sorry have only just seen your reply. have you seen any other monitors that you'd recommend over the ones you've listed preferably with gsync as i have a nvidia gpu just send me 1 option that you think i should definitely go for as a player who wants good quality aswell as high fps if thats possible please

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
sorry have only just seen your reply. have you seen any other monitors that you'd recommend over the ones you've listed preferably with gsync as i have a nvidia gpu just send me 1 option that you think i should definitely go for as a player who wants good quality aswell as high fps if thats possible please
They all work fine with nvidia GPUs.

The choice is down to you, you need to work our which one suits you best, that's not something I can advise on I'm afraid.