Need Help Please

David Unwin

I JUST got my new WatchDogs Elite pc. PC is amazing.. but today,
I was in the middle of playing RESI6 online and suddenly the screen went black, then the sound went, a moment later it returned, then it happened again, but this time the pc reset itself.
It came back on and did a windows 8.1 update. Then it returned to normal ( been running all day fine since) worried this isn't a driver/update issue though. I just didn't have any warning and it seems strange that the screen/ sound went before it reset itself. Very confused and I know smeg all about pcs (why I let PCS fix me one up. I tried before but it would stop playing games for DAYS..it had big issues lol. Worried this might be faulty :/ I have very bad luck specially with pcs. I haven't messed with ANYTHING was even worried about the win8.1 update as I know some updates can mess things up even more.

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
Hi David, Would you mind posting your computer's specs?

Also would you mind posting the windows updates you had applied before the fault happened?

Thanks
Oliver

rzolv

Bronze Level Poster
The screen going black and the sound going was probably windows killing the graphical and sound daemons (or whatever it is windows uses) to get the new drivers to take. Then it's rebooted to restart and use the new drivers. It's the way Windows deals with device drivers and devices. With Linux, you can usually just kill the various daemons, or restart the various services. But Windows has an ass backwards approach to dealing with devices and hardware that means device drivers are locked while in use, so to update and use the new driver you need to completely kill the machine (reboot, restart, whatever).

If you've had no problems since, you probably shouldn't worry. What I would recommend though, is that you go and do all the Windows updates now and get them out of the way. When I do a fresh install of Windows for people, after the install I will run Windows update, download the first batch of updates and then when it reboots, go straight back to Windows update and do it again and keep repeating that until I've finally got all the updates. With Windows 7 this usually means two or three downloading / restart sessions before they're all complete. But at least when they're done, they're done. Then I tell them to check Windows update once a day (while you're having your morning coffee and reading your email) just to see if there's anythng needs downloaded and updated.