Need some serious help guys :S

LDUK

Master Poster
Ok, so I took the brother PC apart, to add different RAM, Power supply and GPU. I've plugged it all back in but it won't boot. The motherboard turns on, the fans start up, including on the GPU but it just wont boot. All the wires are correctly plugged it etc. Do any of you guys know what it could be. Did I miss something? My brothers kinda annoyed lol.

Matt

Bright Spark
Are you sure you haven't missed any wires?

It sounds like a similar problem i had the other day with plugging the motherboard leds incorrectly. If i did that it would display the exact same symptoms as what you describe.

Consult the motherboard manual for exact placement of leds. If you have the plugged in correctly, swap the + and - around. Turns out i had one or two facing the wrong way.

Last edited:

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
Make sure your RAMs are in the right slots if using 3 sticks. That little bugger caught me out first time round.

LDUK

Master Poster
Are you sure you haven't missed any wires?

It sounds like a similar problem i had the other day with plugging the motherboard leds incorrectly. If i did that it would display the exact same symptoms as what you describe.

Consult the motherboard manual for exact placement of leds. If you have the plugged in correctly, swap the + and - around. Turns out i had one or two facing the wrong way.
Nope, everythings in the right place. I just checked again.

Does it get to POST? Or just turns on with nothing else?
Nothing. Just turns on and does nothing.

Make sure your RAMs are in the right slots if using 3 sticks. That little bugger caught me out first time round.
It's an old MB, there are only 2 sticks and 2 slots. But everything is in the right place.

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
Take all the RAM out and see if you get an error beep, if you do, try the sticks of RAM one at a time, then if that works try them both together again.

Also try resetting CMOS by removing battery for about 2 mins.

Sorry dude I misread earlier, didn't realise was an older PC.

LDUK

Master Poster
Take all the RAM out and see if you get an error beep, if you do, try the sticks of RAM one at a time, then if that works try them both together again.

Also try resetting CMOS by removing battery for about 2 mins.

Sorry dude I misread earlier, didn't realise was an older PC.

I took the RAM out but I don't even get a beep :S
I'll leave the battery out for a bit and go back.

Maybe it is the PSU? I'll wack one out of an old dell and give that a shot.

PaulH

Bright Spark
go barebones on it, run with no ram and no GC, see if you get any beeps (assuming you have something connected onto the PC Speaker pins on the motherboard) - i suspect will just need a bios reset :)

LDUK

Master Poster
go barebones on it, run with no ram and no GC, see if you get any beeps (assuming you have something connected onto the PC Speaker pins on the motherboard) - i suspect will just need a bios reset :)

Damn it. Did all that. Nothing. Just can't figure it out. Guess he'll have to get a new one. Wonder where I should buy it :p lol

PaulH

Bright Spark
How about swapping the old parts back in one at a time, and trying different combos that way?

LDUK

Master Poster
How about swapping the old parts back in one at a time, and trying different combos that way?

Lol, I did this too. Ah well, I give up now lol.

But thanks very much for all the help guys, your fantastic :)

PaulH

Bright Spark
you blew something up didnt you....did you earth yerself? 90 times out of 100 you can be ok, however, theres still a chance youll damage something if not in a proper environment :(

LDUK

Master Poster
you blew something up didnt you....did you earth yerself? 90 times out of 100 you can be ok, however, theres still a chance youll damage something if not in a proper environment :(

You know, that's likely what happened lol. No I didn't earth myself, I didn't care to spend much time doing it, as it was old an all. But in a way I wanted him to get a new one anyway soooo :rolleyes:

HMFC_Riley

Enthusiast
You know, that's likely what happened lol. No I didn't earth myself, I didn't care to spend much time doing it, as it was old an all. But in a way I wanted him to get a new one anyway soooo :rolleyes:

Bet you're not gonna let slip to him you blew his PC up.... Speaking of which I should really get new antistatic stuff. Gonna add in a pair of LED's similar to yours except they connect via Molex.

LDUK

Master Poster
Bet you're not gonna let slip to him you blew his PC up.... Speaking of which I should really get new antistatic stuff. Gonna add in a pair of LED's similar to yours except they connect via Molex.

Heeylll No! I'll tell him, it was just because it was old. Or just tell him he did it. He knows nothing about PC's, only how to play on them lol. He'll believe anything I say lol. Hell, I could tell him it's got a flux capacitor and he'll say "Good." I don't think he'll catch the BTTF quote.
Oh cool, make sure you get some pics dude!