Network Cable not working

edgetrading

Bronze Level Poster
I received my new PC after a wait of just under a month.

I installed Ubuntu 20.04 on the machine. It has an Asus TUF B550 motherboard.

When I plug in the network cable, my home network is not getting detected. The cable is working on another machine, and LEDs flash next to the network port when it goes in.

What should I try to get the cable working?

edgetrading

Bronze Level Poster
By "you need an email to receive the download link", do you mean I need to email the link to myself, before it will work?

There are numerous download urls in the first URL that you posted. Is the one that I need, the one with description "2.5G Ethernet LINUX driver r8125 for kernel up to 5.6" ?

edgetrading

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks. I managed to fix it over my lunch break.

For anyone else who sees this, I initially had this error:

Check old driver and unload it.
Build the module and install
At main.c:160:
- SSL error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory: ../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:69
- SSL error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:no such file: ../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:76
sign-file: certs/signing_key.pem: No such file or directory
Warning: modules_install: missing 'System.map' file. Skipping depmod.
DEPMOD 5.4.0-42-generic
load module r8125
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'r8125': Operation not permitted
Updating initramfs. Please wait.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-42-generic
I: The initramfs will attempt to resume from /dev/dm-2
I: (/dev/mapper/vgubuntu-swap_1)
I: Set the RESUME variable to override this.
Completed.

I had to resolve the problem by disabling secure boot: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UEFI/SecureBoot/DKMS

Though if I turn secureboot back on afterwards, I lose the network again. I guess I should have not turned it on in the first place, though I only left it on by accident.

jerome_jm_martin

Bronze Level Poster
hi,

lol, well secure boot is a different story, really different than a network issue.

Though if I turn secureboot back on afterwards, I lose the network again. I guess I should have not turned it on in the first place, though I only left it on by accident.

It will ask for signed modules and if there's no keys the module will never load, (and on top of that you do not get the info in dmesg...) I had this problem once with a wifi network card.

I guess I should have not turned it on in the first place, though I only left it on by accident.

yes ! :-D

glad it's working.

j.

Last edited: