Network card diagnostics

mugelbbub

HI All,

Hope everyone's keeping safe!

Looking for some guidance over a network card wondering if there is any way to test it to discover if any issues with it. Reason is that out of four laptops we are using here mine keeps losing internet connection when the others are connected fine and the Hub is showing connected.

Someone suggested maybe my network card is on the way out but I don't know how to check it nor discover the drop out cause otherwise.

My system is Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD, Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050, GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ WIRELESS-AC 1535 M.2 GAMING 802.11AC + BLUETOOTH 4.1

Appreciate any guidance given the current remote working status!

Regards

mugelbbub

Additional information

The Event logs, if of any relevance, show only DistributedCOM 10016 error and ESENT 455 though I could not say for sure if they coincide with internet loss.

Thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Is the 'Allow Windows to turn off this device to save power' unchecked in the adapter settings?

Check in power options that the wireless adapter is set to 'maximum performance'.

mugelbbub

HI Ubuysa and Spydertracks,

Thanks for responding.

"Allow windows to turn off........" is unchecked in Power Management.
Dont know where you mean to look for 'power options'

Bought with Windows (2017 purchase so been using a while with no problems)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Dont know where you mean to look for 'power options'
If you go to start and search for power, you should see "power and sleep settings", then goto "additional power settings", just double check that's it's set to maximum performance:

Untitled.png

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Then we need to ensure you have the right driver installed. Use device manager to uninstall the WiFi adapter - and delete the driver if asked - then reboot. Windows will install a basic driver, so in device manager click 'update driver' and let Windows update find the best driver.

If you get issues after that I'd suspect a WiFi adapter issue. If that's the case PCS will probably ship a replacement card for you to fit if you're comfortable with that. It's a bit fiddly getting at the card and replacing it, but it's not hard.