Network Hub/Switch

chrissib

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all,

I thought I was well up on this, being a network support engineer, but in trying to improve my network at home, I bought a small 8 port hub, in an effort to improve speeds over wifi.

Expecting faster speeds than troubled wifi, I assumed the ports speeds, would be far better, but it turns out that my 10/100 ethernet ports are giving no more the 9-10mb/s on each port. making the 23mb/s on wifi seem positively supersonic in comparison.

This led me to want to buy a new hub, with faster ports, but in all the sales blurb, I can't find one which actually says what the ports are giving.
Yes they all say 10/100/1000, and even state Gigabit speeds, but no one actually states what is guaranteed out of each port.
Also get annoyed by sellers calling them switches, when they are no more than hubs.

So my question, can anyone point me to a hub or switch, which actually has more than 10mb/s port speed. Obviously I could buy a Cisco switch, but that would be 5 times the price, so anything reasonably priced please.

chrissib

Bronze Level Poster
ok say £30 - £70, I am more interested in the port speeds being faster than 10mb/s.
My internet speed is around 60-70mb/s, so 10mb/s on a wired port connection is lousy.

Everything I look at has the same selling tactic, 10/100/1000 switch, without actually saying what the actual ports speeds are.
Very annoying.
I can't be the only one caught out by this.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
ok say £30 - £70, I am more interested in the port speeds being faster than 10mb/s.
My internet speed is around 60-70mb/s, so 10mb/s on a wired port connection is lousy.

Everything I look at has the same selling tactic, 10/100/1000 switch, without actually saying what the actual ports speeds are.
Very annoying.
You said above that your current one was 100mbs? What's wrong with that one?

There's literally nothing such as a 10mbs switch, unless it's 50 years old or you bought it from some chinese marketplace.

If it states it's 10/100 then it is 100 again, unless it's some dire generic thin you picked up for a couple of quid.

It suggests there's a bottleneck elsewhere in the system, where does the route extend from? Is it from the router? Routers are well known for cheaping out on ports.

Also, are you sure you're referencing mbs and not MBS?

Last edited:

chrissib

Bronze Level Poster
You said above that your current one was 100mbs? What's wrong with that one?

There's literally nothing such as a 10mbs switch, unless it's 50 years old or you bought it from some chinese marketplace.

If it states it's 10/100 then it is 100 again, unless it's some dire generic thin you picked up for a couple of quid.

It suggests there's a bottleneck elsewhere in the system, where does the route extend from? Is it from the router? Routers are well known for cheaping out on ports.

Also, are you sure you're referencing mbs and not MBS?
So firstly I am testing internet speeds directly from the devices connected to the ports..

secondly, by mb/s I do mean Megabits per second.

Each device connected has the same result, and as soon as I disconnect the device, to default to wifi, the retest more than doubles in speed.
So the port speed says 10/100Mb/s, but I cannot get more than 10Mb/s out of each one.

I realise than if the switch says 10/100, it should be capable of 100Mb/s, but they all say that, and I don't want to get caught out a second time, by misrepresentation on the seller's part.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I realise than if the switch says 10/100, it should be capable of 100Mb/s, but they all say that, and I don't want to get caught out a second time, by misrepresentation on the seller's part.
That's what I'm querying though, if it's a mainstream manufacturer it will be what it's rated to be.

10 mbs ports havn't been available in UK for decades now, that's why I'm very surprised it's the hub. Whereas routers are known for scrimping on port specifications

But anyway, my go to for a good and cheap switch are the Netgear ProSafe's which a lot of businesses will use for endpoint connections because they're so reliable, it's gigabit as well

RichLan564

Bright Spark

Very annoying.
The 10/100/1000 IS the speed of the port

Check your router ethernet port that you are connecting the switch to isn't setup to 10Mbps manually, that will make the new switch auto negotiate down, just set it to auto at the router end if possible