New 17" laptops

LizardSoul

Just watched it. My first reaction is why on earth is freesync only available in Optimus mode!?
My second reaction was instead "CPU reaching 95C?!".
If the Ionico 17 has better temps, I am still going to prefer it, over that central hinge design that feels risky on the long run.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just watched it. My first reaction is why on earth is freesync only available in Optimus mode!?
*EDIT* - My second observation is those are some very impressive gaming benchmarks. Who says Ryzen Is worse than Intel for gaming!
Was that the 5900hx or 5800h?

Macco26

Expert
*EDIT* - My second observation is those are some very impressive gaming benchmarks. Who says Ryzen Is worse than Intel for gaming!
Because Freesync can be driven only when AMD graphics card is working, and in this laptop this is when the APU controls the screen (aka Optimus) and not the Nvidia.

About the benchmarks it's a beast, yes, and beats everything also because it has the highest RTX 3080 in that bunch. Up to 150W. The only laptop winning about that, go figure is the other 3080 over the top Intel 10980K.
5800H with RTX 3070 was benchmarked from the same person (Jarrod) few weeks ago, I'm sure you know, and got slightly beaten by the same RTX 3070 chassis, but paired with Intel 10875H.
Zen3 Cezanne is very good also at gaming. Hot as mad maybe (because the 8 cores are all crammed in a very tiny die) and not exceeding Intel 10th because of the crappy dGPU PCIe link at 8x, but pretty good, nonetheless, almost on par, yeah.

barlew

Godlike
Because Freesync can be driven only when AMD graphics card is working, and in this laptop this is when the APU controls the screen (aka Optimus) and not the Nvidia.
Have you got a source for this because I cannot see it being true. Why fit a FreeSync screen to a performance gaming laptop if it only works when the onboard graphics are in operation (especially when Nvidia have openeed their GPU's up to FreeSync monitors)? Who needs FreeSync when they are using outlook?

Macco26

Expert
Have you got a source for this because I cannot see it being true. Why fit a FreeSync screen to a performance gaming laptop if it only works when the onboard graphics are in operation (especially when Nvidia have openeed their GPU's up to FreeSync monitors)? Who needs FreeSync when they are using outlook?
Too lazy to find but that's the reason.
Pity the recent compatibility of Nvidia with Freesync you're saying is working only for Displayport connections. And internal screens are not connected by Displayports but special eDP connections with different protocols. That's why Nvidia in laptops can VRR only G-Sync certified screens. E.g. the ones available with the Lenovos for example: they go Freesync with the Zen3 APU and switches to G-sync with Nvidia. IIRC they have to show case the Advanced Optimus Branding for that also, another moniker Nvidia wants. Very very few selected screens are advertised with that feature so far.

Tongfang has not any of those. Neither any other brand AFAIK except Lenovo I guess.

@SpyderTracks hope the reason above clears up your 'no sense' reaction. If not, can't help much more. Sorry. ;)

Macco26

Expert
Intel apologists inbound.
If you name me that, if I could I'd surely buy a 5900HX over the Intel I have. No excuses.
That's because it's over 20% faster in anything productivity wise.

For gaming? It'd be 99% as fast as Intel. But I'd not say it's faster than Intel, same GPU paired. It's in the same ballpark. Not faster.

Still I'd rather prefer it over the Intel, that's for sure.

barlew

Godlike
Too lazy to find but that's the reason.
Pity the recent compatibility of Nvidia with Freesync you're saying is working only for Displayport connections. And internal screens are not connected by Displayports but special eDP connections with different protocols. That's why Nvidia in laptops can VRR only G-Sync certified screens. E.g. the ones available with the Lenovos for example: they go Freesync with the Zen3 APU and switches to G-sync with Nvidia. IIRC they have to show case the Advanced Optimus Branding for that also, another moniker Nvidia wants. Very very few selected screens are advertised with that feature so far.

Tongfang has not any of those. Neither any other brand AFAIK except Lenovo I guess.

@SpyderTracks hope the reason above clears up your 'no sense' reaction. If not, can't help much more. Sorry. ;)
I've just been reading through a load of stuff on the AMD website about this and it looks like you are right. Reading between the lines its because of the standard politics you get between NVIDIA and AMD.

This to me begs the question. Why did TF bother to put a FreeSync monitor on this laptop if it can be only be used when onboard graphics are in operation. It seems like an absolute waste.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've just been reading through a load of stuff on the AMD website about this and it looks like you are right. Reading between the lines its because of the standard politics you get between NVIDIA and AMD.

This to me begs the question. Why did TF bother to put a FreeSync monitor on this laptop if it can be only be used when onboard graphics are in operation. It seems like an absolute waste.
Very perplexing!

Macco26

Expert

Free-sync is basically free. G-Sync screens require royalties to be paid to Nvidia instead, that's why TF went with the former. Also there are very few models with both techs, and as an ODM you can't put all your eggs in one single basket (a screen provider), whereas the Freesyncs are widely available, I guess.
Imagine the same screen, on my Intel, is zero-VRR, as I have Intel iGPU and Nvidia. So total waste of it features, but TF buy in volumes so it's fine for them. Half ot them will get AMD VRR at least.

PS: I can't see any tearing at 165 hz anyway. I'm fine with this.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Free-sync is basically free. G-Sync screens require royalties to be paid to Nvidia instead, that's why TF went with the former. Also there are very few models with both techs, and as an ODM you can't put all your eggs in one single basket (a screen provider), whereas the Freesyncs are widely available, I guess.
Imagine the same screen, on my Intel, is zero-VRR, as I have Intel iGPU and Nvidia. So total waste of it features, but TF buy in volumes so it's fine for them. Half ot them will get AMD VRR at least.

PS: I can't see any tearing at 165 hz anyway. I'm fine with this.
But the point is, it’s not going to be VRR from what your saying, it’s pointless it being a freesync screen as the igpu isn’t going to be used for gaming, so the fact it’s feeesync isn’t has no benefit.

There must be something in the works to enable freesync with the dgpu that perhaps we’re not aware of, I can’t see why they’d bother otherwise.

Given the choice, I’d always buy freesync now over gsync for the reasons you described. It used to be that gsync was a far greater experience to freesync but that’s no longer the case.

Macco26

Expert
Well, those are not desktop, they have another choice, that is Nvidia Optimus. The Screen MUST be connected to the iGPU for VRR to work, but 3d rendering and shading not necessarily are done by the iGPU. On the contrary it's the Nvidia to do the hard work then sending the results to the iGPU which displays it to the attached screen.
That's Nvidia Optimus. A very well designed plan. On paper. IRL? It sucks, as when you have a laptop with a MUX which can straight switch to the direct dGPU-screen interface, it gets a lot of FPS more. But only G-Sync is then supported in this mode.

Still, if you're okay with Nvidia Optimus, you can enjoy FreeSync.
In the end FreeSync is vital for low FPS games, where your eyes can see the tearing. Under these circumnstances sticking with Nvidia Optimus might be worth it. You play Cyberpunk with N.Opt., you get like 50 FPS instead of 70? You get VRR as a gift. Acceptable.

You instead play an esport title like CS:GO? Overwatch? Valorant? If you sticked with N.Opt. you'd get like 150 FPS vs 400 FPS w/ the MUX switch. In that case it's worth rebooting your machine in dGPU only mode. You loose VRR, but your 400 FPS won't let you notice ANY tearing anyway. They are soo many you'll be capped by the 165 Hz max of the screen anyway.
This of course if you have a Zen3 CPU to carry the VRR under Nvidia Optimus Operation w/ Freesync.

The green part above is how many important brands work out there. Like the whole A*us lineup. They don't carry a MUX. So you'll get the Nvidia Optimus and that's all. They have Freesync all the time (and sucks all the time at high-FPS titles). Also Defiance and Elimina, btw.

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
Just checked , the Valeon is now removed from the website , I guess due to no availability ( all sold out )