new 2018 Recoil II

marwid

I've got a Recoil II, I think I must have been one of the first. Build quality seems good. The keyboard IS a bit clicky but I like the feel of it, but I am not a fan of the LED under-lit light-fest it comes set up with. You can tone it down or turn it off. I don't know what make panel the screen is but it is clear, the backlight is even, no odd cast to it that I have noticed. It's clearer than my eyesight :).
I put in it a 500GB M.2 because why have an M.2 and not use it. I also put in a 2TB SSHD for files, music, photos etc. I went up to the GTX 1060 for games, 32GB of memory (max) as I use some corporate database software and need as much memory as possible. As a result of all that I did not look at upgrade potential.
So far, I am very happy with the machine.

damole

Silver Level Poster
Can you tell me if it is possible to turn off 'tap to click' in the touchpad settings? I'm used to having Synaptics touchpads which have a lot of options and this one is critical to me as I can't use laptop with 'tap to click' tuurned on.

GTS718

Took delivery of my new recoil 2 last week. Thus far very impressed (was additionally impressed with the fact that it arrived in just under 72 hours from the moment I hit ‘proceed’ on the PCS website!).
I opted for:

• 144hz screen
• 16GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
• GTX 1060 GPU
• 250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, PCIe NVMe and 2TB SEAGATE HDD

Thus far I have been mostly getting things transferred over from my main desktop PC, but also with some light gaming and it has run really well.

Fan noise hasn’t, for me at least, been an issue. When the fan has kicked in (I’ve had the laptop running for three hours this morning just transferring files and a bit of light web browser and its been silent all through with the CPU currently at 44C and the GPU 52C whilst transfer has been ongoing - according to the Gaming centre, of which I also haven’t felt has been an issue so far, although I note that some folk have felt the need to remove it).

The recoil feels really well built and the chassis finish feels very nice and solid, yes it can attract finger prints but I prefer the finish to a plastic one (I always have a microfibre cloth to hand as am always wiping my tablet screens anyway). So far I like the feel of the keyboard although still getting used to it but again yes it’s a bit clicky but I don’t personally have an issue with that.

I do have a couple of questions - one probally easy one maybe less for which any feedback would be appreciated:

1. I understand that regardless of what task you may be performing if you have an external monitor plugged in via the HDMI port then the GTX will be running rather than the Intel graphics – is the same true if using one of other of the mini display ports (not sure but I was wondering if one was linked to the intel and the other to the GTX?)

2. The only issue I have had so far, which does seem to be a documented Microsoft Windows 10 bug (since the 1703 update) rather than anything to do with the Recoil per se, in that when attempting to use the Gaming tool bar to screen record (using Windows Key + G shortcut) I get a message to say it ‘cant record and to try later’. However, my other three W10 machines still function fine when recording this way (despite the W10 update on both W10 pro and Home versions of the OS). I wondered if anyone else has experience this problem, not necessarily with he Recoil but specifically on any W10 Home OS PC?

Thanks.

damole

Silver Level Poster
I just ordered my Recoil ii.

15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8750H (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 - 6.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3400MB/R, 2300MB/W)

damole

Silver Level Poster
11 working days, when I ordered it they didn't have stock of my combo of display and GPU so it took longer than normal. My last two according to my orders page were both 10 working days. It seems like forever when you are waiting of course.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Ah, I wasn't counting the 22nd or the bank holiday :) Yes, the wait is not fun. Expecting delivery tomorrow?