New and wanting to learn!

Hi Folks,

i've joined the forums because i am looking to build a gaming spec laptop for which i am hoping to obtain a grant, thus i need some support to spec a laptop that offers good value for money (isn't drastically over-spec'd) but will also be a solid investment that will give me years of use.

I have never built a laptop or computer previously but i am keen to learn and believe this route will offer the best value for money and in the long run will enable me to extend the life of the laptop through upgrading some components in the future, as necessary. I have had recommendations for using PCS from gaming friends and also my grandfather & uncle who both have laptops/computers built by PCS.

I would really appreciate your help to put together a machine that will meet my needs (i've started a new thread in the relevant forum) and also any direction or advice on where i can go to start learning everything i need to know to maintain and run a handbuilt machine.

For a little bit of background info- i have very complex health conditions and have 24/hr live in care at home. Through covid my computer has been my lifeline whilst i have been totally isolated at home from the outside world. I use my laptop for helping to manage my health conditions, medical treatment and care team, it is my window to the world through which i connect with all my friends and support networks, attend appointments via video calls, continue learning about my craft- pottery- whilst my 1 day a week face to face sessions are on hold - and most importantly it has become a very important tool for managing my stress and anxiety levels.

I suffer from a condition called secondary adrenal insufficiency, where stress can basically make me life threateningly ill, through something called an adrenal crisis. I have gone through some extremely stressful times in the past 3 years due to family circumstances and gaming became my solace. I began playing games on my laptop for a couple of hours each day as a way of escaping from my surroundings and to give myself some anxiety free space. I play sedate simulation games like the sims 4, cities skylines, 2 point hospital etc and would love to play planet zoo too and find that having full control over a sandbox type game (rather than playing the high energy, high anxiety, AAA games) gives me a sense of control when things around me are chaotic and extremely stressful- in some ways it is a form of mindfulness for me, which also gives me a sense of achievement when so many of my previous hobbies are no longer possible due to the physical restrictions of my disabilities and health conditions. Unfortunately my laptop of 10 years has now completely died on me and the 2nd hand Acer mini computer i have been using as a stop gap is not at all up to the job. It doesn't even have a dedicated graphics card and cannot be upgraded.... it keeps freezing up on me and crashing. Thus the need for a new laptop.

I would really appreciate any help and support you can offer me- please head to my thread in the laptop speccing forum to offer any advice or tips you have!

Many thanks,

Anna

ColEyt

Gold Level Poster
Hi welcome to the forum.

However unable to find your proposed build, have you posted this yet, as forum stats show you've only posted one message so far.

If you are having issues posting the build, the following thread may be of assistance.

Last edited:
Hi welcome to the forum.

However unable to find your proposed build, have you posted this yet, as forum stats show you've only posted one message so far.

If you are having issues posting the build, the following thread may be of assistance.

Sorry, i was probably still writing the post at the time! It is posted now in the Check this Spec forum!