New Build

Joegriff3

Hi Guys,

Any thoughts on the below? will primarily be used for gaming, streaming TV etc and will spend most of the time plugged into a 40" TV

Prefer to stick with Intel/Nvidia but are there any tweaks i can make to get better value/performance? Budget tops out at around £2k

Case
SHARKOON VG4-W GAMING CASE (Green LED)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs, WIFI - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
3TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
2nd Storage Drive
3TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 1800MB/sR | 1800MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster Hyper 212X (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler Black Edition
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Monitor Cables
2 x 2 METRE GOLD PLATED V1.4 HDMI CABLE
Keyboard & Mouse
LOGITECH® MK270 WIRELESS KEYBOARD & MOUSE COMBO
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
TIMED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND - MON-FRI (BEFORE 2PM)
Build Time
Standard
Price: £1,766.00 including VAT and Delivery

Joegriff3

Yeah, contemplating upgrading to 4K in the not to distance future though

Z390-E Purely because of onboard Wi-Fi, would consider a cheaper option with a card though

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The case is budget and not great for airflow. The Fractal Meshify C or Define S are both very solid cases.

The CPU's a bit of a waste of money. You're not going to see any difference versus an AMD Ryzen CPU like the R5 2600x in most titles and the cost difference is huge. Moreover AMD's Ryzen CPUs have a better upgrade path. Frankly holding off the purchase for them to release their Zen 2 CPUs (expected end May) would probably make most sense.

Sticking to Intel made sense in the days of AMD's FX series CPUs, but those days are long behind them.

At 4k gaming, the performance difference between a top end Intel CPU and a mid-range AMD CPU costing maybe a third the price shrinks to the point you can't see it and can barely measure it.

The AMD route will also free up budget enabling an RTX 2080, which will actually let you play demanding titles at high settings at 4k

Rather than a mobo with onboard wifi, a mobo and a wifi card is often much more economical.

if the 2nd 3TB HDD is for backing up the first, go instead with network storage or at least an external drive; something separate from your PC.

A better quality PSU (TXm series) would be worth investing in especially with this kind of budget. It'll be quieter, more efficient, and is modular, as well as being better quality.

I'd suggest holding off to the end of the month and seeing what happens with Zen 2, which I think is expected to be announced on 27th/28th May at Computex.

In Jan, AMD showed an 8 core 16 thread Zen 2 CPU beating an 8 core 16 thread i9 9900k in Cinebench, so we should expect to see some decent stuff.