New case recommendation

BT81

Enthusiast
Hi

I bought the NZXT H511i - Any recommendation less than £100, that would be an upgrade?

Ideally I'd like
1. An open/mesh front - I have these RGB fans on the radiator and I can't see them!
2. Something with improved airflow - more for the GPU - The CPU is always pretty cool
3. Look smart

I've seen some case that have x3 fans at the front. Where would I then put the radiator? at the top, would it clear the RAM?

Suggestions welcome :)

Untitled

My specs of the machines

Specs below
Case
NZXT H511 MID-TOWER GAMING CASE (WHITE)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
(Now 32gb) 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 - HDMI, DP
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
(Now Windows 11) Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licenc

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi

I bought the NZXT H511i - Any recommendation less than £100, that would be an upgrade?

Ideally I'd like
1. An open/mesh front - I have these RGB fans on the radiator and I can't see them!
2. Something with improved airflow - more for the GPU - The CPU is always pretty cool
3. Look smart

I've seen some case that have x3 fans at the front. Where would I then put the radiator? at the top, would it clear the RAM?

Suggestions welcome :)

Untitled

My specs of the machines

Specs below
Case
NZXT H511 MID-TOWER GAMING CASE (WHITE)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
(Now 32gb) 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 - HDMI, DP
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
(Now Windows 11) Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licenc
Heya! Before you swap the case, it might be worth reading these points of the PCS warranty:

Screenshot 2022-02-06 at 16.34.04.png

If you're happy to continue, I'd have 2 recommendations

1) NZXT H510 Flow: If you like the look of your current H510, you could go for it's high airflow brother the NZXT H510 Flow in Black or White

2a) Corsair 4000D Airflow: Probably one of our favourite cases on the forum, it's got great airflow, fantastic build quality and looks awesome. There is also it's larger brother the 5000D Airflow, although with the components you've currently got i doesn't look like you'll need the extra space 4KD Black, 4KD White, 5KD Black, 5KD White

2b) Corsair 4000X: If you like RGB and want more, the Corsair 4000X is a fantastic choice, it comes with 3 Corsair SP120 Elite fans and a Corsair Node core as standard. As your AIO cooler is a 280mm, you could rearrange these fans so you have the AIO as an intake and the 3 fans the 4KX comes with as exhausts at the top and back. Airflow from this case is good, but you can increase it by buying the airflow front and popping them on. 4KX Black, 4KX White, 5KX Black, 5KX White

Any other questions, ask away!

BT81

Enthusiast
I did have a look at the NZXT - However, assuming I have the radiator front mount (I have heard that's the best location) - I wouldn't have space to have an additional intake fan at the front

Whilst on the 4000d

I assume I'd have

x1 exhaust fan rear
x1 / 2 exhaust fan top
x1 AIO Radiator Front
x1 in take fan Front

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I did have a look at the NZXT - However, assuming I have the radiator front mount (I have heard that's the best location) - I wouldn't have space to have an additional intake fan at the front

Whilst on the 4000d

I assume I'd have

x1 exhaust fan rear
x1 / 2 exhaust fan top
x1 AIO Radiator Front
x1 in take fan Front
You wouldn't need a bottom fan in the front of the NZXT case anyway, especially as you have no hard drives in the spec. With the positioning of the AIO it'd still cool the CPU and GPU which realistically are the only things that need cooling.

Just because there's a fan slot doesn't mean it needs to be filled. The front of the 4000D takes either 3 120mm's or 2 140mm's so I wouldn't guarantee that you'd be able to have the 280mm AIO and a 120mm fan at the bottom (If you wanted 3 140mm's you'd need the gargantuan 7000D/X). Due to the RAM I don't think it'd fit at the top either. I reckon on the 4000D, it'd be:

Front: 280mm AIO
Top: 2 120mm Exhaust Fans
Back 1 120mm Exhaust Fan

As has mentioned by other forum users, the Meshify 2 C is also a brilliant case and one probably worth having a look at

Last edited:

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I agree with the Meshify 2 Compact: if I were buying a computer today it's what I'd want.

Note, though, that your cooler, the H115i, will only fit on the front of the case, not on the top, because it only takes 240mm radiators on the top. That's not a problem -- it's what you have already -- but just be aware that it's a limitation.

BT81

Enthusiast
Cheers all!

I’ll take a look at the Meahify 2 - comes in a bit over budget. Saying that - just spent £60 on RGB ram 🤦‍♂️

I’m quite happy having the AIO cooler at the front as I do now to be honest - as I’ll get to see a flicker of the fans light through to mesh

Honestly - I thought I was better than liking RGB 🤣

Seems I have enough fans and equipment to proceed - where is that Amazon button

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Cheers all!

I’ll take a look at the Meahify 2 - comes in a bit over budget. Saying that - just spent £60 on RGB ram 🤦‍♂️

I’m quite happy having the AIO cooler at the front as I do now to be honest - as I’ll get to see a flicker of the fans light through to mesh

Just for clarity, there are two cases: the Fractal Meshify 2 and the Fractal Meshify 2 Compact. Both are awesome. The Meshify 2 is awesome and big; the Meshify 2 Compact is awesome and fairly small. You can get the Compact for just over £100 on Box, fwiw.

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Cheers all!

If you go ahead with the purchase it would be great to see some before and after pics as well as some temp testing? 👀

BT81

Enthusiast
So - I went on holiday :) Come back to this :)

Ok - So recommendations appear to be

Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
4000D

I assume both are a step up in thermal performance over the H115 I have above.

The factual doesn't have PWM control for the fans? Is that an issue?
As I take apart my current case, I assume I'll remove the AIO from the CPU - Just to make a note to get some new thermal paste :)

Last edited:

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I assume both are a step up in thermal performance over the H115 I have above.
Assuming you mean the H511, very much so, it's known to be a bit oveny where as the 4000D and Meshify are fantastic high airflow cases.

The factual doesn't have PWM control for the fans? Is that an issue?
I don't believe the 4000D does either. If your NZXT case fans do you could always transfer them over? For case fans it's not the end of the world, but it's certainly nice to have them.

As I take apart my current case, I assume I'll remove the AIO from the CPU - Just to make a note to get some new thermal paste :)
Well, I don't expect it to need changing, Corsair AIO's come with high quality thermal paste applied and the 3600X isn't exactly a furnace of a CPU or anything. I've done a few AIO mountings and it's by far my least favourite part of building a PC. I'd personally just unmount the AIO from the case, then keep it attached to the mobo at the CPU. When you're putting the motherboard into the new case, you can either dangle it over the top or sit it on top (depending on which way you'd rather work), then screw it in once all your cables are in.

BT81

Enthusiast
Assuming you mean the H511, very much so, it's known to be a bit oveny where as the 4000D and Meshify are fantastic high airflow cases.

I don't believe the 4000D does either. If your NZXT case fans do you could always transfer them over? For case fans it's not the end of the world, but it's certainly nice to have them.

Well, I don't expect it to need changing, Corsair AIO's come with high quality thermal paste applied and the 3600X isn't exactly a furnace of a CPU or anything. I've done a few AIO mountings and it's by far my least favourite part of building a PC. I'd personally just unmount the AIO from the case, then keep it attached to the mobo at the CPU. When you're putting the motherboard into the new case, you can either dangle it over the top or sit it on top (depending on which way you'd rather work), then screw it in once all your cables are in.
Bought the 4000d in white - two reasons
1. It's £80 vs the cheapest light tint Meshify was £120
2. Both seem to offer better than NZXT airflow
3. I 'think' my front RGB radiator fans will be more visible :)

My plan for fans and the like

1. AIO front mounted as it currently is
2. Use the x2 fans I already have - Use them at the top as exhaust fans (I will need to buy a cable extension to attach it to the motherboard like all my fans currently are)
3. Use one of the fans that comes with the case as an exhaust fan at the rear

then...Need to look into - What do I need to buy, to use the Type c header? I don't believe from 'google' I can connect my tuf x570 to a type c header - I only use the headers for linking my mouse/keyboard etc

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Bought the 4000d in white - two reasons
1. It's £80 vs the cheapest light tint Meshify was £120
2. Both seem to offer better than NZXT airflow
3. I 'think' my front RGB radiator fans will be more visible :)

My plan for fans and the like

1. AIO front mounted as it currently is
2. Use the x2 fans I already have - Use them at the top as exhaust fans (I will need to buy a cable extension to attach it to the motherboard like all my fans currently are)
3. Use one of the fans that comes with the case as an exhaust fan at the rear

then...Need to look into - What do I need to buy, to use the Type c header? I don't believe from 'google' I can connect my tuf x570 to a type c header - I only use the headers for linking my mouse/keyboard etc
Good choice and sounds like a plan!

For the USB C port, you could get something like this if you have an internal USB 3.0 header available? Not the prettiest but gets the job done. You might be able to find a cable but didn't see one in the 40 seconds of searching I did.

BT81

Enthusiast
Cheers for looking - I’ll have a better look tomorrow and see what options there are :)

Yeah to finally seeing the front RGB - and hopefully experiencing some lower GPU temps 🙏🙏🙏

BT81

Enthusiast
I am not doing that again!!!! Case swapped. Much swearing!

I'll post photos tomorrow. In the mean time

I have...

As per the NZXT Case above
x2 Intake fans onto the radiator at the front
x2 top mounted exhaust fans
x1 rear mount exhaust fan

The temps aren't really much different on the GPU
Saying that, my 3d mark score has increased slightly :)

Last edited by a moderator:

BT81

Enthusiast
Firstly - Sorry mods for swearing in my prior post! Building a case proved....frustrating!

Alas.

So - In short, I swapped everything over - I had to unscrew the motherboard a few times - that was.....annoying. As I missed to put a cover on, where the motherboard ports are, and then because - I kid you not. Lost two cables for the fans between the screwed in motherboard and the case.
I spent far too long going....where do these cables go?! turned out the matching cables were stuck!

Fan wise. Not an ideal set up. As you can see below. The pipes from the radiator are foul of the top exhaust fan. Not sure what to do. I will see if I can drop the radiator down a little bit.

In respect of cable management. I have bought some new cable extensions for the top exhaust fans, so I can route them round the back. After that I may swap out the corsair fan, with another noctua fan like the other two.

Also. Need to sort out the Type C issue. The cable from the case doesn' fit the motherboard (I knew that, and Junior, thank you for the link above), but that link/item I don't think will work..

Below, is to show the fans only - I have the mesh and front panel on, during operation :)

Last edited:

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Did you daisy chain your psu cables to the GPU? For a 3070, I'd be using dedicated cables for each power connection on the GPU.

Also what is this cable?
1647293266642.png

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yeah mate daisy chaining is not good practice you want two separate cables, everything else can be tidied up sure but this is the only thing I can see that I would consider a problem as such

BT81

Enthusiast
Cheers - just used what came with the original build. - I’ll take a look at buying a new cable - any particular one I need?
It’s a rmx850 psu and 3070 gpu :)