New chassis becoming available?

Hi all,

I've noticed recently customers commenting that different models are appearing and disappearing on the pcs "configure a laptop" page.
As of today (31-01/-17) there are no Lafite models listed.
I suppose this is all to do with the Kaby Lake rollout.

Does anyone know if the Defiance models will be due a refresh this year? I am wondering if we would ever see a Defiance model with a Thunderbolt 3 port?

Also, I am wondering if people feel the £90 or so more for the Kaby lake i7 7700HQ is worthwhile over the previous i7 6700HQ performance wise?

Thank you.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Any refresh queries you would need to ask PCS directly. Since the new cpus are included with the current chassis I doubt it. Whether or not is worth £90 depends really on you and your intended use. For gaming there wouldn't be a noticeable difference.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Also, I am wondering if people feel the £90 or so more for the Kaby lake i7 7700HQ is worthwhile over the previous i7 6700HQ performance wise?

For a chassis like the Optimus VIII with an i7 7700HQ vs the Optimus VII with an i7 6700HQ the cost difference is ~£80. That also includes a better GPU, more display outputs, type C USB etc within that price range. In that context I'd say the extra price of the new machines is not disproportionate (though it's a shame that tech prices are as high as they are at the moment).

For the Defiance where as you say it's £90 for 300MHz on the boost clock, I'm not sure it's worth it for most scenarios. If you're playing certain really CPU bound games and you want to maximise your performance then maybe.

If one isn't after a GTX 1070 there's always the Proteus with a 7700HQ as a baseline for the same price as the Defiance with the 6700HQ.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If you mean the fact it says it's out of stock until 1st Feb on the configurator page (bit out of date there..), I don't think it is getting a revamp, I think that is the revamp.

It's apparently the Clevo P640HK1 http://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=1013&lang=en

Compared to the Defiance II 14" it sports the 7th Gen Intel CPUs and the Pascal GTX 1050 ti (as opposed to the Maxwell 960M and 970M)

PCS seem to sometimes take a little while to update the configurator info but apparently (according to the Clevo page) it has USB 3.1, which I believe the Defiance II 14" didn't have. The configurator page says it has 4 USB 3.0 ports but I believe thta might be incorrect and PCS haven't updated it to reflect the USB 3.1 yet.