New Computer Turned Up Today... Help

lukeirelan-hill195

Got my new PC today (August PC of the Month) however on turning it on, I get the following:

Troubleshoot (reset your PC or see advanced options)
Turn off your PC

I’m guessing this is not the screen I should be greeted with when turning on a new PC.

All help welcome!

Thanks!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It could be that the Windows Out Of Box experience failed (which seems to happen a lot).

I would probably just do a clean install of Windows. You can download Windows direct from MS here:

The licence key is stored digitally on your motherboard so you don't even need to enter it when installing.

Once it has installed, allow Windows to download drivers and any updates it wants (don't use any driver installer software). And you should be more or less good to go :)

lukeirelan-hill195

It could be that the Windows Out Of Box experience failed (which seems to happen a lot).

I would probably just do a clean install of Windows. You can download Windows direct from MS here:

The licence key is stored digitally on your motherboard so you don't even need to enter it when installing.

Once it has installed, allow Windows to download drivers and any updates it wants (don't use any driver installer software). And you should be more or less good to go :)

Oussebon, thanks for the response. Without sounding dense, how do I do that with the options that are available on the troubleshoot screen?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Oussebon, thanks for the response. Without sounding dense, how do I do that with the options that are available on the troubleshoot screen?
You can't. If the troubleshooting screen doesn't help (and it often doesn't) a completely clean install is your only option.

Boot the installation media PCS sent you, typically a DVD, choose a custom install, delete all partitions on your system drive (MSR/Reserved, EFI/Boot, Recovery, System/Windows), select the 'unallocated space' and click the Next button. The installer will create all the correct partitions and install Windows. Once the Out Of Box Experience setup has completed run Windows Update repeatedly until no more updates are found. You may have to reboot between installs, but keep running Windows Update until it finds no more updates. This will (should) install all drivers as well as all necessary updates.

If you don't have a DVD drive then get an 8GB (min) USB stick and on another PC download the Windows Media Creation Tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. Run that tool, tell it to create an ISO for use on another computer, and point it at the USB stick. The tool will create bootable Windows installation media on that USB stick. Boot that on your PC and install as above.

lukeirelan-hill195

You can't. If the troubleshooting screen doesn't help (and it often doesn't) a completely clean install is your only option.

Boot the installation media PCS sent you, typically a DVD, choose a custom install, delete all partitions on your system drive (MSR/Reserved, EFI/Boot, Recovery, System/Windows), select the 'unallocated space' and click the Next button. The installer will create all the correct partitions and install Windows. Once the Out Of Box Experience setup has completed run Windows Update repeatedly until no more updates are found. You may have to reboot between installs, but keep running Windows Update until it finds no more updates. This will (should) install all drivers as well as all necessary updates.

If you don't have a DVD drive then get an 8GB (min) USB stick and on another PC download the Windows Media Creation Tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. Run that tool, tell it to create an ISO for use on another computer, and point it at the USB stick. The tool will create bootable Windows installation media on that USB stick. Boot that on your PC and install as above.
Ubuysa, thanks for the reply. I have downloaded Windows 10 onto a USB as above, but how do I get the PC to run this?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Plug the USB stick in and boot from it. Depending on the system you may need to enter the BIOS setup to tell it to boot the USB stick.

Sent using Tapatalk

lukeirelan-hill195

Tried installing windows from the USB but got the following:

Any further advice?

Attachments

• 38BE197F-FDC9-4369-9CE2-040D90FF614F.jpeg
    38BE197F-FDC9-4369-9CE2-040D90FF614F.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 208

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Tried installing windows from the USB but got the following:

Any further advice?
That’s running from within windows.

You have to actually boot from the USB drive.

There’s further info on how to do that here:

lukeirelan-hill195

Morning Ubuysa,

Do I delete everything in the Partitions or just the ones you mention? Photos show what is in there.
I don’t appear to have EFI/Boot.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• E42AFBE9-4934-4356-BBFE-526BD43408C3.jpeg
    E42AFBE9-4934-4356-BBFE-526BD43408C3.jpeg
    382 KB · Views: 206
  • 6685CD57-739E-445F-92D0-9DE0885AF90F.jpeg
    6685CD57-739E-445F-92D0-9DE0885AF90F.jpeg
    25 KB · Views: 188

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You have two drives there; drive 0 is abut 2TB and drive 1 looks to be about 512GB. Currently Windows is installed on drive 1 - I assue that's an SSD and that's where you want Windows?

If so, delete all partitions on drive 1 so that it all shows as 'unallocated space'. Select that 'unallocated space' and click the Next button. The installer will do the rest.

We'll talk about what to do with drive 0 once Windows is installed. :)

lukeirelan-hill195

You have two drives there; drive 0 is abut 2TB and drive 1 looks to be about 512GB. Currently Windows is installed on drive 1 - I assue that's an SSD and that's where you want Windows?

If so, delete all partitions on drive 1 so that it all shows as 'unallocated space'. Select that 'unallocated space' and click the Next button. The installer will do the rest.

We'll talk about what to do with drive 0 once Windows is installed. :)
It won’t let me delete any of the partitions.

We couldn’t delete the selected partition (Error 0x8007001

Any ideas?

Having said that, I clicked refresh and now all drive 1s have disappeared!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That's probably due to the incomplete OOBE issues you had.

Boot the installation media again and this time select 'Repair My Computer'. Navigate to the command prompt. At the command prompt enter the following commands....

X:> diskpart

DISKPART:> list disk (this will list all the disks on your PC and label them disk 0 and disk 1 showing you the disk sizes).

DISKPART:>
sel disk 0 (this makes drive 0 the focus, all future operations will be on this drive. Make certain this is your 2TB drive, not the one you'll use for Windows).

clean (this will erase everything on this disk, including all partition tables)

create part primary (this will create a single partition the size of your entire disk)

format fs=ntfs quick (this will format that partition as an ntfs drive - which you will use as a data drive)

sel disk 1 (this now makes disk 1 the focus, all future operations will be on this drive. Make certain that this is the 512GB drive on which you want Windows installed).

DISKPART:> clean (this will erase everything on this disk, including all partition tables)

exit

X:> exit

Now reboot the installation media again and select a 'custom install'. This time drive 0 should show a single partition the size of the drive and drive 1 should show as unallocated space. Select drive 1 and click the Next button, the installer will do the rest.

lukeirelan-hill195

That's probably due to the incomplete OOBE issues you had.

Boot the installation media again and this time select 'Repair My Computer'. Navigate to the command prompt. At the command prompt enter the following commands....

X:> diskpart

DISKPART:> list disk (this will list all the disks on your PC and label them disk 0 and disk 1 showing you the disk sizes).

sel disk 0 (this makes drive 0 the focus, all future operations will be on this drive. Make certain this is your 2TB drive, not the one you'll use for Windows).

clean (this will erase everything on this disk, including all partition tables)

create part primary (this will create a single partition the size of your entire disk)

format fs=ntfs quick (this will format that partition as an ntfs drive - which you will use as a data drive)

sel disk 1 (this now makes disk 1 the focus, all future operations will be on this drive. Make certain that this is the 512GB drive on which you want Windows installed).

DISKPART:> clean (this will erase everything on this disk, including all partition tables)

exit

X:> exit

Now reboot the installation media again and select a 'custom install'. This time drive 0 should show a single partition the size of the drive and drive 1 should show as unallocated space. Select drive 1 and click the Next button, the installer will do the rest.
Just doing this now. When I enter list disk, it is only show disk 0 which is the HDD and disk 2 which I am guessing is the memory stick. There is no disk 1. It that correct or should it be showing a disk 1?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just doing this now. When I enter list disk, it is only show disk 0 which is the HDD and disk 2 which I am guessing is the memory stick. There is no disk 1. It that correct or should it be showing a disk 1?
If its labelling the USB stick as disk 2 then it knows that disk one is there. Enter sel disk 1 and then clean and see what happens...

Sent using Tapatalk

lukeirelan-hill195

If its labelling the USB stick as disk 2 then it knows that disk one is there. Enter sel disk 1 and then clean and see what happens...

Sent using Tapatalk
Thanks again for the reply. Got through all the steps until disk 1 clean. It says the following: DiskPart has encomtoured an error: incorrect ruction. See the system event log for more information.

Any ideas on this one?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks again for the reply. Got through all the steps until disk 1 clean. It says the following: DiskPart has encomtoured an error: incorrect ruction. See the system event log for more information.

Any ideas on this one?
So you can select disk 1? What do you see if you enter list part (to list the partitions on that drive)?

Is this an SSD? If so is it a SATA SSD or an M.2 SSD? I'm starting to think that this drive may be faulty.

Sent using Tapatalk

lukeirelan-hill195

Partition 1 System 260mb 1024kb
Partition 2 Reserved 128mb 261mb
Partition 3 Recovery 500mb 389mb
Partition 4 Primary 464gb 889mb

1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Partition 1 System 260mb 1024kb
Partition 2 Reserved 128mb 261mb
Partition 3 Recovery 500mb 389mb
Partition 4 Primary 464gb 889mb

1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Hmmm. Those are the expected UEFI partitions so I'm surprised the clean command has problems. You might try 'clean all' to see whether that helps. Alternatively enter a 'sel part 1' command (to make partition 1 the focus) and then enter a 'delete partition' command. If that works delete each partition in turn until no more partitions are found and then try a 'clean all'.

If clean still doesn't work issue a 'create part primary' command followed by a 'list part' to see whether it was created. If it was try a 'clean' command again.

See also the diskpart command reference at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/diskpart. Experiment with diskpart to see whether you can remove those partitions such that the Windows installer can access the drive.
Sent using Tapatalk

lukeirelan-hill195

Hmmm. Those are the expected UEFI partitions so I'm surprised the clean command has problems. You might try 'clean all' to see whether that helps. Alternatively enter a 'sel part 1' command (to make partition 1 the focus) and then enter a 'delete partition' command. If that works delete each partition in turn until no more partitions are found and then try a 'clean all'.

If clean still doesn't work issue a 'create part primary' command followed by a 'list part' to see whether it was created. If it was try a 'clean' command again.

See also the diskpart command reference at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/diskpart. Experiment with diskpart to see whether you can remove those partitions such that the Windows installer can access the drive.
Sent using Tapatalk
Clean all doesn’t work.
Sel part 1 and then delete partition gives the following:

Virtual disk service error: cannot delete a protected partition without the force protected parameter set.

Starting to think this isn’t meant to be!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Clean all doesn’t work.
Sel part 1 and then delete partition gives the following:

Virtual disk service error: cannot delete a protected partition without the force protected parameter set.

Starting to think this isn’t meant to be!
When the OOBE screws up it does so Royally!

Use the delete partition override command. That overrides the protected parameter.

See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/delete-partition