New desktop GPU

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Hey guys, I've put this in the PC gaming section since It isn't about PCS computers.

My custom desktop has a 7850 graphics card and over summer I was going to upgrade it to something better. I only have a 500w PSU so will probably need upgrading.

My budget with a new power supply is around £350, I'd prefer not to go above it but I could go above by £25 or so if needed :)

Any ideas on what graphics card I should get? I don't mind if it's AMD or NVIDIA. Also a link to amazon or somewhere would be nice. I was considering either the R9 280X, 770 or R9 290. So far I think the R9 290 is the one I'll go with (a sapphire "TRI-X" edition to keep it nice and cool) and I'm not too bothered about heat/noise as long as it doesn't blow up :p

T

TheGeeza

You can get a decent non modular PSU 80 plus gold for about £100
That would leave £250.
You could get a 280x for £200
At that price, it's a steal in my opinion.
Also, that leaves you a bit extra to spend on a modular psu should you prefer one.

Last edited by a moderator:

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Might go for a modular PSU just to keep it nice and tidy :)

And steaky, I put it in this section as it's "Off topic", I thought it would therefore be fine to post it here since I haven't put it in the sales area... I would consider using the upgrade service if I could, but I didn't buy the desktop from here so I can't.

T

TheGeeza

I remember changing to a modular. The difference was amazing. My case seemed so much bigger :)
The modular ones also come with those black cables. Much nicer looking that the coloured ones that come with most non modulars.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
I remember changing to a modular. The difference was amazing. My case seemed so much bigger :)
The modular ones also come with those black cables. Much nicer looking that the coloured ones that come with most non modulars.

Yeah, my case is a bit of a mess at the moment :p I'll probably get a modular corsair PSU as I can get a 750w one for £77, which is more than enough power and seems like it's a decent price. That'll leave me about £275, which means I could grab a R9 290 for only another £10, which is fine :D

steaky360

George,

As you will have seen elsewhere, PCS are in the business of selling PC's and therefore discussions pertaining to self-builds (etc.) are not encouraged. Off topic or not the discussion itself isn't encouraged. That aside, regardless of the position of the thread on the forum competitor links are not allowed (anywhere), which is why I removed them from Geezers post.

Don't mean to be a party pooper.

bigben

Master Poster
I'd also suggest a modular PSU, I put one in mine (because my old PSU was too noisy) and it looks so much neater.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
The other option I have is to get a second 7850, upgraded PSU and a better motherboard, but in the end it will cost the same amount and I'm not sure if it'll run better or worse. What do you guys think? I have a Corsair 300R which can actually take two of my cards and I have enough airflow in my case (7 case fans) so the heat wouldn't be too bad.

T

TheGeeza

I would get the 290 and the new PSU. A motherboard swap is a lot of faffing about and a single gpu is always a better choice than crossfire or sli in terms of heat output and reliability etc. :)

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
I would get the 290 and the new PSU. A motherboard swap is a lot of faffing about and a single gpu is always a better choice than crossfire or sli in terms of heat output and reliability etc. :)

That's just what I was thinking, that way I can also give my old GPU to a friend that might want it :)

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Hmm, just looked at some reviews for cards and stuff. I'm now considering the R9 280X or R9 290, looking at benchmarks the 290 does get considerably higher frames considering it's only £40 more or so. Do you think It's worth the extra? And do you think I should get a dual fan or triple fan version for the 280X (the triple fan is around £30 more). With the 290 it's actually cheaper to get the triple fan version (not complaining :D )

T

TheGeeza

I can confirm that the 290 is considerably faster. I own a ghz 7970 which is basically the same as the 280x and my friend's stock 290 destroys it in all benchmarks. As long as it comes with an after market cooler I would get the 290.
The 280x is still a good card but for that extra £30 I would just go with the 290.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
As long as it comes with an after market cooler I would get the 290. A friend mine has it and it is a beast :)
The 280x is still a good card but for that extra £40 I would just go with the 290.

Exactly what I was thinking. What PSU would I need with it? I have an fx-6200. I was thinking 650w or above. Should I get the bronze or gold version by corsiar (gold is another £30 or so).

T

TheGeeza

I would always go gold or higher if you can. Bronze and silver PSUs tend to run hotter and louder (in my own experiences). Maybe get something closer to a 700 watt or above. A gold 650 could probably handle it but I would play it safe and go slightly higher. Just in case you want to add something else in the future.
The 290 is rather power hungry after all :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Gold is expensive though, and a bronze will be more than reliable enough, personally as long as its got at least bronze its fine and will have 80%+ efficiency.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
I would always go gold or higher if you can. Bronze and silver PSUs tend to run hotter and louder. Maybe get something closer to a 700 watt or above. A gold 650 could probably handle it but I would play it safe and go slightly higher. Just in case you want to add something else in the future.
The 290 is rather power hungry after all :)

Yeah, thought I may as well get a 750w PSU since it's only a few more more pounds. Would it be possible to buy the R9 290 and run it on my 500w PSU for the time being and then upgrade the PSU the month after? Or would it not work at all or spontaneously combust? :p I have no clue what would happen if I ran it on a lower power so any advice would be helpful :)

T

TheGeeza

Gold is expensive though, and a bronze will be more than reliable enough, personally as long as its got at least bronze its fine and will have 80%+ efficiency.

I suppose so.
I have had some bad experiences with bronze PSUs in the past which is why I tend to go for the more expensive ones:)