new desktop

andybebbs

I am looking at buying a new desktop and the main uses will be editing photos with adobe lightroom 6 and affinity photo and general pc use like listening to my music wired to hifi searching the internet and maybe watching the odd film. it will not be used for gaming.
I`m looking to get the i7 9700 but not sure what graphics card, mother board or processor cooler to get so any help would be very helpful.
Thanks Andy

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I am looking at buying a new desktop and the main uses will be editing photos with adobe lightroom 6 and affinity photo and general pc use like listening to my music wired to hifi searching the internet and maybe watching the odd film. it will not be used for gaming.
I`m looking to get the i7 9700 but not sure what graphics card, mother board or processor cooler to get so any help would be very helpful.
Thanks Andy
What’s your max budget?

andybebbs

for the complete desktop £1300 don`t need monitor or anything else just the desktop. just confused as to what spec graphics card and mother board to go for.
Andy

andybebbs

really don`t know my thoughts are i7 9700, 500gig ssd 2 x 2tb hard drives, asus z390 motherboard, 2 x 16gig ddr4 2400MHz ram, windows 10 pro, nvidia 4g geforce gtx 1650 hdmi ?, asus tuf z390 plus ?, cpu cooler(dont know) corsair rm750x 80 plus psu.
I am looking at buying it from here or am i missing something in your question?
Andy

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
really don`t know my thoughts are i7 9700, 500gig ssd 2 x 2tb hard drives, asus z390 motherboard, 2 x 16gig ddr4 2400MHz ram, windows 10 pro, nvidia 4g geforce gtx 1650 hdmi ?, asus tuf z390 plus ?, cpu cooler(dont know) corsair rm750x 80 plus psu.
Andy
I'm far from the hardware expert on here, but given your stated uses, which aren't terribly demanding, why do you need an i7 CPU? I'd have thought a cheaper i5 would be more than good enough.

Why do you even need a graphics card at all (the on-board GPU will be fine for your needs)?

You'll want the fastest SSD you can afford for Windows and programs (which means an M.2 NVMe SSD) and 256GB will be plenty big enough for that IMO.

Photos do benefit from being on an SSD (but they're about the only user data that does) but it doesn't have to be blistering fast (a SATA NAND SSD will be fine), it depends on whether you can afford one in that budget that's large enough for all your photos, otherwise make sure your HDDs are 7200rpm drives.

For cooling I understand that the stock Intel coolers are noisy and not very efficient, the Noctua is excellent (I have one) but a cheaper air cooler will almost certainly be fine for your uses. You certainly don't need liquid cooling.

andybebbs

forgot to add i do run the pc through my tv via hdmi to watch movies and also went over the top on cpu for future use rather than have to upgrade later..

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
forgot to add i do run the pc through my tv via hdmi to watch movies and also went over the top on cpu for future use rather than have to upgrade later..
Many motherboards have both a display port and HDMI output from the integrated GPU (and the Asus board you mention - which may be overkill for your needs - does) so supporting a monitor (display port) and TV (HDMI) will be no problem.

Regarding the i7, you're paying a lot of money for potential future use from a pretty limited budget.