New gaming laptop

Hey, I was hopping for some advice on how a 2080 laptop would handle 4k gaming and how many years it would be able to do that with ultra or high settings. Also if it's worth getting the i9 processor or which one would be best. I work at sea so I normally get a desktop replacement laptop but if the 2080 can't handle 4k when I'm home(or only with low settings in a year or so) i might buy a cheaper one and then buy a desktop as well since it's only the laptops 1080p screen I'd use on the ship. Also thinking about buying a rift s since I could take it on the ship without needing sensors. Thanks for any advice.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey, I was hopping for some advice on how a 2080 laptop would handle 4k gaming and how many years it would be able to do that with ultra or high settings. Also if it's worth getting the i9 processor or which one would be best. I work at sea so I normally get a desktop replacement laptop but if the 2080 can't handle 4k when I'm home(or only with low settings in a year or so) i might buy a cheaper one and then buy a desktop as well since it's only the laptops 1080p screen I'd use on the ship. Also thinking about buying a rift s since I could take it on the ship without needing sensors. Thanks for any advice.
Not very long really, a 2080 is already 2 years old, it's the very end of it's lifecycle, add to that that laptop GPU's are less powerful than their desktop counterparts and a 2080 laptop is about equivalent of a 2070 Super desktop card which you'd have to reduce settings on for 4k gaming anyway.

polycrac

Rising Star

VR on a ship? I'm a big VR fan but wow, you sir are hardcore! I'm forever explaining to people who have tried cheap, rubbish vr and gotten queasy that a decent bit of kit (rift/vive or better) is a whole different ballgame but even good kit with a moving floor is a scary prospect for me.

I guess the base stations would be fixed relative to the floor so the whole reference frame moves as one? I don't know how sealegs work but it might be worth asking around to find what other people have experienced.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I guess the base stations would be fixed relative to the floor so the whole reference frame moves as one? I don't know how sealegs work but it might be worth asking around to find what other people have experienced.
The Rift S doesn't have basestations, it's all contained within the headset.

Yeh, i was going to get the rift s because it doesn't need the base stations. The ship doesn't roll that much usually since its big but i don't really get queasy with vr and i made a point of trying to spin around and jump all over the place with fast games whenever i use my mates.

Given what you said about the 2080, do you have any recommendations about a cheaper laptop option that will be good for vr and 1080p gaming at high settings then? I'll probably make do with that for now and then buy a desktop later for 4k gaming at home. The only other requirement is a display port connection (or mini) for the rift s.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeh, i was going to get the rift s because it doesn't need the base stations. The ship doesn't roll that much usually since its big but i don't really get queasy with vr and i made a point of trying to spin around and jump all over the place with fast games whenever i use my mates.

Given what you said about the 2080, do you have any recommendations about a cheaper laptop option that will be good for vr and 1080p gaming at high settings then? I'll probably make do with that for now and then buy a desktop later for 4k gaming at home. The only other requirement is a display port connection (or mini) for the rift s.
If it were me, I'd always say the Vortex 15.6 with a 2070 is the one to go for for ultimate gaming performance at 1080p 144Hz, plus will do well with the Rift S.

It's got quite a few bonuses:

Thunderbolt 3 connector: Can add an eGPU down the road when the GPU isn't powerful enough anymore like the razor core x

Best screen available, an absolute stonker with GSync at 144Hz.

Excellent cooling potential and we rarely get any complaints about that chassis at all.

If it were me, I'd always say the Vortex 15.6 with a 2070 is the one to go for for ultimate gaming performance at 1080p 144Hz, plus will do well with the Rift S.

It's got quite a few bonuses:

Thunderbolt 3 connector: Can add an eGPU down the road when the GPU isn't powerful enough anymore like the razor core x

Best screen available, an absolute stonker with GSync at 144Hz.

Excellent cooling potential and we rarely get any complaints about that chassis at all.

Whats the performance of the eGPU like with thunderbolt 3? I looked into an eGPU before but there was too much of a performance loss to make it worthwhile. Thats why i was thinking i might buy a lower end laptop and then a desktop. If i connected a 2080ti or something to it would it perform like one or loose a lot of its performance?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Whats the performance of the eGPU like with thunderbolt 3? I looked into an eGPU before but there was too much of a performance loss to make it worthwhile. Thats why i was thinking i might buy a lower end laptop and then a desktop. If i connected a 2080ti or something to it would it perform like one or loose a lot of its performance?
According to the Notebookreview forum, you're still losing about 20% of overall performance

performance is actually quite a lot better if you use an external monitor rather than the laptop monitor.

There is an obvious hit, but being that the nvidia RTX 3000 cards are due out this summer, that would likely still be more than powerful enough with 4k gaming in mind.

According to the Notebookreview forum, you're still losing about 20% of overall performance

performance is actually quite a lot better if you use an external monitor rather than the laptop monitor.

There is an obvious hit, but being that the nvidia RTX 3000 cards are due out this summer, that would likely still be more than powerful enough with 4k gaming in mind.

Cheers man, didn't realise the RTX 3000 cards were coming out this summer. Ill have a look at the vortex but i was thinking Id get a 17 inch (any recomendations there?). If it's only a 20% drop off for the eGPU i might not need to pick up a desktop as well so i could spend the money on a RTX3000 when they come out.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Cheers man, didn't realise the RTX 3000 cards were coming out this summer. Ill have a look at the vortex but i was thinking Id get a 17 inch (any recomendations there?). If it's only a 20% drop off for the eGPU i might not need to pick up a desktop as well so i could spend the money on a RTX3000 when they come out.
Yeah, from the rumours, the 3000 series are set to be something pretty special. AMD sound like they have something high end that could actually threaten nVidia, so nvidia are gonna have to pull out some major stops...

The embedded GPU on the new XBox series X alone is set to be just under 2080ti level, and that's not gonna be AMD's top card by any means.

It's going to be interesting.

Unfortunately there's not really many decent 17" laptops available. Not that they're bad, it's just a crying shame there isn't a vortex option. For the increase in size, I would personally say it's not worth it to step up to 17" for the tradeoffs. But I guess if you had to, get the Octane. Be warned though, you'll need to do some thermal management to get it running optimally, out of the box it's almost certain to thermal throttle, and it's best to get the i7 over the i9 as the i9 is power limited and thermally limited making it not that much better than the i7.