New Gaming Laptop

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Hi guys,

Just pulled the trigger on this build, currently being tested. Will add that I changed my mind on the SSD and swapped them for a pair of 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)

Looking forward to getting back into the PC gaming after several years on Xbox. Just missed playing things like ANNO, Civilization and flight sims.

Hope the specs should keep me going for a while, realised after I paid for the system that this forum existed, otherwise I would've asked you guys for advice ref the build. Guess I just have to hope for the best

Cheers

Garry

Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 3000MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 330W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Octane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS, 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS, 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
OCTANE SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Supplied on USB Drive
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Google Chrome™
Laptop Cooling Stands
CoolerMaster NotePal L2 Laptop Cooler, upto 17.3 inch
Notebook Mouse
CoolerMaster Devastator MM110 Gaming Mouse
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MP FULL HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs
Delivery
TIMED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND - MON-FRI (BEFORE 2PM)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days
Promotional Item
FREE Division 2: Ultimate Edition with select SAMSUNG SSDs!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Do you realise this isn't a laptop? It's a desktop replacement (DTR) which means desktop CPU's, very poor battery and very heavy, not really portable as it's designed to sit in one place.

Just so you're aware of that.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
I haven't got room (or not allowed) a full desktop setup, laptop will be on the kitchen table or in a rucksack. Purely bought to play games and won't be leaving the house. Guess I tried to fit the best stuff (or thought I had) into a 15.6" laptop case. Sods law.....

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I haven't got room (or not allowed) a full desktop setup, laptop will be on the kitchen table or in a rucksack. Purely bought to play games and won't be leaving the house. Guess I tried to fit the best stuff (or thought I had) into a 15.6" laptop case. Sods law.....
Yeah, if you want it portable, it's not really designed for that and you'd get much more value and portability from something like the Vyper.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Guess I fell for the find the most expensive laptop and threw whatever I could in it. Too late as its being tested now.... Thanks for looking

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Guess I fell for the find the most expensive laptop and threw whatever I could in it. Too late as its being tested now.... Thanks for looking
It's still a fantastic device, but won't be great for portability.

But if you're having it for gaming, it will still smash anything you throw at it.

It's not at all that it will perform badly.

Be warned though, the CPU will need an undervolt applied to get it to run at all normally, otherwise it will overheat. If you need any help with that, let us know and we can talk you through it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Will it not run out of the box then? Or is the undervolt required for gaming??
The CPU will overheat out of the box, limitation of almost any Intel CPU, but especially desktop cpu's in laptops.

They have to be undervolted to get them to perform normally and not damage the CPU/motherboard.

It's not an issue with the chassis, it's the same with that CPU in any laptop from any manufacturer.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
OK thanks for the heads up, PCS are testing this so wouldn't they ensure or know about the need to undervolt this setup? . I know it's my fault for putting in the wrong CPU in the first place 😭

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
OK thanks for the heads up, PCS are testing this so wouldn't they ensure or know about the need to undervolt this setup? . I know it's my fault for putting in the wrong CPU in the first place 😭
That's not something that manufacturers do, it's something the user has to do, otherwise they're supplying it out of Intels specification which they can't do.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Thanks, I think it's best I do that, maybe change the ssd to one 2tb instead of two 1tb ones. Would that be better? Might even put a sata drive in too as a backup, assuming PCS would install the OS on the SSD?? Really appreciate your help, guessing no undervoltage is needed on the i7 CPU then?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
maybe change the ssd to one 2tb instead of two 1tb ones. Would that be better?
Although there's not really any need to these days, I still much rather have 2 separate drives, one for OS, programs and games, and a separate one for data.

That way if anything goes wrong with windows, you can reinstall without affecting the data drive.

PCS will install windows on the fastest drive unless you specifically direct them otherwise, but to be sure, it may be worth calling them just in case.

i7 will definitely be better thermally, the i9 is a particularly hot beast, but you may still require an undervolt to optimse performance. I'm not sure about the i7 in that chassis, it may well be fine.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Thanks bud, I've tweaked the build a bit. Bit more storage added with the savings from swapping out the i9 to the i7.

Item 2Change to NONE from 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Item 3Change to 2TB SEAGATE 7mm SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 128MB CACHE (5,400rpm) from NOT REQUIRED
Item 4Change to 32GB INTEL® M10 OPTANE MEMORY - USE WITH MECHANICAL HDD from
Item 5Change to Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache from Intel® Core™ i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache
Item 6Change to 2TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W) from 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No point to the Optane, it's more cost effective and better performance just to get an M2 drive.

If you're just using as storage, then a 5400rpm would be find on it's own.