New Graphics card (im a noob)

ojmck22

Bronze Level Poster
So im just thinking in advance for a new graphics card and i decided why dont i just go to PCS and click upgrade my existing PC as that will tell me whats compatible etc. (I currently have a 6gb Nvidia GTX 1660 Super But when i put in 16gb AMD RX 6800 it comes up with this message. As you can see i have a 1tb M.2 SSD. Just wondering whats the reasoning behind this. Thanks.

Attachments

• GRAPHICS CARD.PNG
    GRAPHICS CARD.PNG
    54.6 KB · Views: 134

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So im just thinking in advance for a new graphics card and i decided why dont i just go to PCS and click upgrade my existing PC as that will tell me whats compatible etc. (I currently have a 6gb Nvidia GTX 1660 Super But when i put in 16gb AMD RX 6800 it comes up with this message. As you can see i have a 1tb M.2 SSD. Just wondering whats the reasoning behind this. Thanks.
Interesting. If you've tried multiple times, it might be something you need to contact PCS about. Be aware though, there phone lines are very busy with hour + waits. I'd recommend calling as early as possible for the best chance of having a small queue. They open at 9AM on Saturday and 9AM on Monday, If you'd rather email, they're taking a while to get through too, definitely a multiple day wait.

Although as this is a plan for the future, it might not be necessary to call until you do make the upgrade. GPU prices are also sky high right now so waiting will likely let you get more for your money. I'd also advise posting your full spec to make sure you have an adiquate build for that card and ample PSU wattage to take on the more powerful GPU.

ojmck22

Bronze Level Poster
Interesting. If you've tried multiple times, it might be something you need to contact PCS about. Be aware though, there phone lines are very busy with hour + waits. I'd recommend calling as early as possible for the best chance of having a small queue. They open at 9AM on Saturday and 9AM on Monday, If you'd rather email, they're taking a while to get through too, definitely a multiple day wait.

Although as this is a plan for the future, it might not be necessary to call until you do make the upgrade. GPU prices are also sky high right now so waiting will likely let you get more for your money. I'd also advise posting your full spec to make sure you have an adiquate build for that card and ample PSU wattage to take on the more powerful GPU.
I dont have enough power as is but i had already upgraded it there. Thank you

ojmck22

Bronze Level Poster
No worries! Let us know if you need any help with upgrade recommendations, there are lots of clever people here that would be happy to help!
Here are the main details of my current setup, went with the 1660 super at the time as i didnt have the funds for anything better really. I want to first upgrade my graphics card and maybe 2-3 months down the line i can go with a i7 or maybe an i9

Attachments

• Current PC setup.PNG
    Current PC setup.PNG
    200.8 KB · Views: 118

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Here are the main details of my current setup, went with the 1660 super at the time as i didnt have the funds for anything better really. I want to first upgrade my graphics card and maybe 2-3 months down the line i can go with a i7 or maybe an i9
It's okay! The 1660 Super is a great entry/ early mid level gaming card and was a solid choice when you bought the system.

That said, by far the first upgrade I'd suggest is a new PSU, that 350W will be worked HARD in that system. I'd highly recommend upgrading to at least a RM750 or RMx750. This will mean it's not working as close to full capacity, which extends the life of the PSU and will future proof you for a while, should you want to upgrade (which it sounds like you do). I wouldn't recommend changing anything, especially the GPU until the PSU is changed.

After that, we'd have to look at the games you play and the monitor you own to suggest your best upgrade path.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Before you go upgrading things, what monitor are you pairing it with, what resolution and refresh rate or make and model if you’re unsure?

Ash_

Master Poster
I’m surprised a 350w can even power that build. It has absolutely no chance of powering a 6800.

You really don’t want to be swapping your cpu this early either, but if you do opt to (can’t understand why you would), you need a better cooler. So your upgrades are probably going to be around:
PSU: £110
GPU: £800
Cooler: £50
CPU: £400

you’re basically at a brand new rig

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I’m surprised a 350w can even power that build. It has absolutely no chance of powering a 6800.

You really don’t want to be swapping your cpu this early either, but if you do opt to (can’t understand why you would), you need a better cooler. So your upgrades are probably going to be around:
PSU: £110
GPU: £800
Cooler: £50
CPU: £400

you’re basically at a brand new rig
Plus you would need about £1000 for a suitable monitor.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
A 1660 super with an i5 10th gen should be a good 1080p gaming rig. I certainly wouldn’t look at upgrading such a new pc right now anyway.
I would strongly repeat this as well.

The platform on that build isn't suitable for upgradeability without buying a whole new rig really.

You really should get advice on a build, we could have specced the platform much more applicable to your future requirements so you could have slotted in any GPU you wanted.

As it stands there's too much work to make it viable for a top end GPU, it's not worth it without replacing it entirely.

ojmck22

Bronze Level Poster
I would strongly repeat this as well.

The platform on that build isn't suitable for upgradeability without buying a whole new rig really.

You really should get advice on a build, we could have specced the platform much more applicable to your future requirements so you could have slotted in any GPU you wanted.

As it stands there's too much work to make it viable for a top end GPU, it's not worth it without replacing it entirely.
Got it, ill leave the upgrades for at least another few months (hoping the GPU show is half resolved too) , thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator: