New Hybrid SSD drives - 500GB now, 750GB coming

Growltiger

Bronze Level Poster
The new Seagate Momentus XT drives look interesting. Most of the performance of SSD at a fraction of the price.
"Seagate is also introducing a 750GB, 7200rpm Momentus drive with a 16MB cache and the SATA 3Gbit/s interface."
Do you offer the 500GB version which is around now (it has a 4GB SSD cache)?

Gorman

Author Level
The Seagate Momentus XT drive is a solid state hybrid with Adaptive Memory technology, enabling the drive to deliver SSD-like performance along with higher capacity. The Momentus XT drive is designed for all standard laptop PCs and is OS-, driver- and software-independent, making this drive easy to integrate and easy to use. Adaptive Memory technology enables the drive to tailor performance to the user. Whether you are gaming, editing digital media or crunching numbers, performance is optimized and ready for your next move.

A hybrid SSD/Mechanical HDD? Thats news to me.

We dont offer these at the moment, they might be worth a look though.

Growltiger

Bronze Level Poster
I was planning to get the 160GB Intel SSD as my C: drive. But the 500GB hybrid would save me about £200, have more capacity, and still have superior performance.

I would also think anyone currently specifying a Velociraptor would think seriously about one of these instead.

My guess would be that we will see more of these hybrids, as it will take many years for the price of pure SSDs to come low enough for us all to buy SSDs for all storage.

A 1TB version with 6Gb interface and a larger SSD cache would be superb, perhaps in a year or so.

Gorman

Author Level
I was planning to get the 160GB Intel SSD as my C: drive. But the 500GB hybrid would save me about £200, have more capacity, and still have superior performance.

I would also think anyone currently specifying a Velociraptor would think seriously about one of these instead.

My guess would be that we will see more of these hybrids, as it will take many years for the price of pure SSDs to come low enough for us all to buy SSDs for all storage.

A 1TB version with 6Gb interface and a larger SSD cache would be superb, perhaps in a year or so.

I agree on all points, these are news to me and definately are of interest.

I see these being a big problem for raptor drives!

Sleinous

Author Level
Just out of interest, how long does everyone think it will be before say: a 1TB SSD drive comes out, with 64mb cache, all for under £100. I'm guessing 2 years.

Growltiger

Bronze Level Poster
Just out of interest, how long does everyone think it will be before say: a 1TB SSD drive comes out, with 64mb cache, all for under £100. I'm guessing 2 years.

I think you mean 1TB hybrid with 64GB SSD cache?
Two years sounds just about plausible.

But if you really think you will get 1TB pure SSD in 2 years for £100 you are dreaming.

Gorman

Author Level
They have been kicking around for a couple of years now and progress on the £ for gb is slow. I dont expect anything major within 5 years.

Maestro

This is the future
The proverbial ‘hot ****’ at Guru3D; OCZ Revodrive -120GB-
After receiving the Revodrive, Guru3D acknowledged that this storage unit is sexy, and the first in a series which over the years will become popular alright.
It's the proverbial hot **** my man ... As what OCZ did was done right. They smacked 120GB or alternatively 240 GB of the fastest NAND Flash memory on the PCB, armed that Flash memory with two separate 8-channel SandForce SSD ICs, then bind them to a SIS RAID controller, pop on a PCie x4 bridge and then offer a "PCIe SSD" (if you can call it that) reaching 300, 400 even 500 MB/sec read and write speeds.
I caught your attention didn't I ?
RevoDrive_PCIe_SSD_2hr.jpg

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/solid-state-drives/pci-express/revodrive/ocz-revodrive-pci-express-ssd-.html
http://www.guru3d.com/article/ocz-revodrive-120gb-review/

Gorman

Author Level
This is the future
The proverbial ‘hot ****’ at Guru3D; OCZ Revodrive -120GB-
After receiving the Revodrive, Guru3D acknowledged that this storage unit is sexy, and the first in a series which over the years will become popular alright.
It's the proverbial hot **** my man ... As what OCZ did was done right. They smacked 120GB or alternatively 240 GB of the fastest NAND Flash memory on the PCB, armed that Flash memory with two separate 8-channel SandForce SSD ICs, then bind them to a SIS RAID controller, pop on a PCie x4 bridge and then offer a "PCIe SSD" (if you can call it that) reaching 300, 400 even 500 MB/sec read and write speeds.
I caught your attention didn't I ?
RevoDrive_PCIe_SSD_2hr.jpg

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/solid-state-drives/pci-express/revodrive/ocz-revodrive-pci-express-ssd-.html
http://www.guru3d.com/article/ocz-revodrive-120gb-review/

Nice, but £187 = 50Gb

£3.74 per Mb

Growltiger

Bronze Level Poster
This OCZ Revodrive isn't a hybrid - this was about cheap hybrids.

It is expensive and has a whole list of problems.
1. Ties up a slot.
2. Is not operating system independent, it requires a special Windows driver to boot. So you can't boot Linux off it for example.
3. Doesn't support TRIM, so performance will steadily degrade.
4. Added complexity, as they had to build in RAID 0 to make it work fast. That is the type of RAID with no redundancy.

I don't like the idea of a boot drive that needs special drivers. Suppose it won't boot Windows 8.

Gorman

Author Level
This OCZ Revodrive isn't a hybrid - this was about cheap hybrids.

It is expensive and has a whole list of problems.
1. Ties up a slot.
2. Is not operating system independent, it requires a special Windows driver to boot. So you can't boot Linux off it for example.
3. Doesn't support TRIM, so performance will steadily degrade.
4. Added complexity, as they had to build in RAID 0 to make it work fast. That is the type of RAID with no redundancy.

I don't like the idea of a boot drive that needs special drivers. Suppose it won't boot Windows 8.

Takes me back to making ram drives, remember very little about it now but i do remember loading SIN in .5 seconds, w00t.