New Intel i7 10th CPUs unable to undervolt/ underclock

GeorgeCA

Bronze Level Poster
I just tried -1 under-volt on my Vyper 17 and it worst ... now in load goes up 95-97 and in idle 60-66...
Is fast and good quality but the thermals are very high ! sky is the limit.

GeorgeCA

Bronze Level Poster
You've overvolted rather than undervolted.

I have found a guide online for exactly the same laptop but under a different name .. and they did a under-volt of 0.15 V.
On Vyper 17 Bios, i have changed the value to negative and then inserted 1.

Isnt this the correct way ?

Mine is idleling at 50 and on load 5 our of 8 cores are over 92...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have found a guide online for exactly the same laptop but under a different name .. and they did a under-volt of 0.15 V.
On Vyper 17 Bios, i have changed the value to negative and then inserted 1.

Isnt this the correct way ?

Mine is idleling at 50 and on load 5 our of 8 cores are over 92...
If temps are going up when applying the undervolt, it suggests it's actually applying an overvolt. Try entering a value the other way and see how temps respond. With an undervolt, each increment should further reduce temps.

BTW, with undervolting or overclocking or anything like that, what someone else has achieved has no relevance to what you may achieve. It's called silicon lottery, every chip is different in it's electrical properties. Some will go miles, some won't go at all. So you always have to start low, maybe -0.50, then work down in -0.1 increments until you hit instability, then dial back and do stress tests until you're sure it's stable.

GeorgeCA

Bronze Level Poster
If temps are going up when applying the undervolt, it suggests it's actually applying an overvolt. Try entering a value the other way and see how temps respond. With an undervolt, each increment should further reduce temps.

BTW, with undervolting or overclocking or anything like that, what someone else has achieved has no relevance to what you may achieve. It's called silicon lottery, every chip is different in it's electrical properties. Some will go miles, some won't go at all. So you always have to start low, maybe -0.50, then work down in -0.1 increments until you hit instability, then dial back and do stress tests until you're sure it's stable.

But you cant enter 0. values ... it accepts only integer values.

let me take a pic

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
But you cant enter 0. values ... it accepts only integer values.

let me take a pic
We really need this confirmed by PCS, if it's only accepting integers, then we need to understand exactly what that translates to.... I will send the admins an email to see if we can get some further clarification and get back to you once I hear something.

It may be worth one of you phoning PCS if you get a moment to discuss it with them also, may get an answer sooner :)

GeorgeCA

Bronze Level Poster
We really need this confirmed by PCS, if it's only accepting integers, then we need to understand exactly what that translates to.... I will send the admins an email to see if we can get some further clarification and get back to you once I hear something.

It may be worth one of you phoning PCS if you get a moment to discuss it with them also, may get an answer sooner :)

I did phone them today and had a talk .. they said that the high temps are normal and currently dont have any informations in regards to tweaks. I am waiting reply to an email ive sent to their technical team via the PCS account. I really like the laptop is very sturdy and fast but the heat man ... is just mind blowing.. Once i get something back i will post.

Ive attached the pics from bios with the option and full explanation.

Attachments

• bios_1.jpg
    bios_1.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 582
  • bios_2.jpg
    bios_2.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 564
  • bios_3.jpg
    bios_3.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 584

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Furthermore, until we get some clarification on this, I would suggest not playing with the setting just in case it's doing something completely unexpected, and if it's affecting temps negatively (ie pushing them up) then obviously that's something we need to avoid.

Give me until tomorrow probably and I'll come back to you with an answer if someone hasn't found out in the meantime.

GeorgeCA

Bronze Level Poster
Furthermore, until we get some clarification on this, I would suggest not playing with the setting just in case it's doing something completely unexpected, and if it's affecting temps negatively (ie pushing them up) then obviously that's something we need to avoid.

Give me until tomorrow probably and I'll come back to you with an answer if someone hasn't found out in the meantime.

I did revert back ... to 0 as in the pics above. Thank you !

Some explanations on this are here, from page 3 --> https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1912/1912.04870.pdf

I did some searching and yeah you are right, we should not touch that until PCS confirms..

Delanno

I am enjoying your discussion guys. I have looking to do some undervolting as well, but wasn't sure about doing it with seeing anyone that had tried that.
So, if you gradually increase the undervolting, like -0.10, -0.20... when you reach instability, what is going to happen exactly? And how to return and fix? What software are you using to test stability?

Cheers,

GeorgeCA

Bronze Level Poster
I needed to return my laptop - PCS confirmed that the thermal paste was not applied or not applied correctly ... Now the laptop is staying at 35-45 in idle, 50-55 in office mode for normal apps and browsing and 75-82 while gaming.

PCS are still exploring the possibilities of an under-volt, but nothing yet on how to do it.

Is the best laptop i ever had ...

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I needed to return my laptop - PCS confirmed that the thermal paste was not applied or not applied correctly ... Now the laptop is staying at 35-45 in idle, 50-55 in office mode for normal apps and browsing and 75-82 while gaming.

PCS are still exploring the possibilities of an under-volt, but nothing yet on how to do it.

Is the best laptop i ever had ...
Personally I wouldn't undervolt with those temps. Glad it's now sorted. :)

GeorgeCA

Bronze Level Poster
Personally I wouldn't undervolt with those temps. Glad it's now sorted. :)

Maybe you can help .. i dont know so much about this... When i use HwInfo i can see the PL1 and PL2 set to 100W, but i see others with the same spec on Vyper 17 with PL1 and PL2 set on 120W. Is this a problem ..?

Thank you,

George

Maybe you can help .. i dont know so much about this... When i use HwInfo i can see the PL1 and PL2 set to 100W, but i see others with the same spec on Vyper 17 with PL1 and PL2 set on 120W. Is this a problem ..?

Thank you,

George

That's not a problem, it's just the different modes: 100W is gaming; 120W is turbo (and I think office is something like 40W, with Office-ECO even lower). Cycle between them and restart HWInfo and see what happens!

I'm also surprised to see people are having issues with undervolting - I can do it fine in XTU, mine has been running at an entirely stable -120mV for the last couple of weeks with no problems. -125mV was causing the occassional BSOD in stress tests and gaming so I think that is the limit for stability with my chip.

It's made a night-and-day difference to thermals and benchmarks (I've got Cinebench R20 averaging over 4000, which is on a par with the (let's face it) superior 4900 Ryzen). And my temps are staying well controlled with max fan, even on turbo.

debiruman665

Enthusiast

It's possible If there is still head room for more Hz that was previously not being attained because of thermal throttling then any extra reduction in temps will be eaten up by the more cycles and the temp will have virtually not changed at all.

GeorgeCA

Bronze Level Poster
It's possible If there is still head room for more Hz that was previously not being attained because of thermal throttling then any extra reduction in temps will be eaten up by the more cycles and the temp will have virtually not changed at all.

I think you are right ... prior of the under-volt the CPU was going up to 4.7 Ghz and with the under-volt was going to 5 GHz.