New Laptop for General Use and Some Gaming

dancol

Hi all,

I'm looking into getting a new laptop to be used for both basic tasks and some gaming. Although playing games on the very highest settings isn't necessarily important to me I certainly want something that would be suitable for playing modern games at reasonable settings now and that will also see me a few years into the future and so realistically I'd rather have a higher spec laptop than I necessarily need right now to prevent the need for any upgrades in the near future. I'm fairly new to all this and this is the first time I've ever looked into having a laptop built to spec and so although I have a basic understanding of these things a little guidance would be really helpful.

Having had a bit of a play around with specifications this is what I've come up with:

Chassis & Display
Cosmos Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4710MQ (2.50GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X IMPACT 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 950M - 2.0GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st Hard Disk
750GB WD BLACK 2.5" WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-7260 HMC (867Mbps, 802.11AC) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery
Cosmos Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (48.84WH)
Power Cable
1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Keyboard Language
COSMOS SERIES UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Windows 10 Upgrade
FREE Upgrade to Windows 10 with all Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 Purchases*
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 10 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve

All in all it comes to just over £800 which I don't think is too bad but ideally I'd perhaps like to spend a little less. That said I'd rather spend £800 on a machine that's going to last than £700 on one that won't. Just wondering if anyone has any suggested changes to those specs. Any advice or comments would be really appreciated.

dancol

Thanks for the reply. I had wondered if there were quad core i5 processors for laptops but they don't seem to be available on PCS if so and the 960m doesn't seem to be an option either sadly. At least not on the Cosmos III anyway :(

I had also considered the SkyFire IV as an alternative but sadly that doesn't have those options either.