New laptop for photo editing, print/web design and light gaming

D

Drakknar

Hey guys,
I was thinking about changing my old laptop with a new one I can use for print/web design (Adobe CS), Android programming w Eclipse, photo editing and some light gaming (mostly Diablo III or PC exclusives like Civilization and Championship Manager - for most other graphics intensive games I use the Xbox 360).
I will need some degree of portability to bring it every day with me at my workplace and at cloents offices, and possibly a few hours of battery time.

I was tempted to go for the following spec:

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M - 1.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk
120GB INTEL® 330 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 500MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
+ a secondary Hybrid hdd I already have
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW) - possibly switching this with an optical drive hdd bay
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N130 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Upgrade to 62.16WH 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery (£39)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 90W Adaptor (GT 540M) / 120W Adaptor (GT 555M)
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
30 Day Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£12)

I thought about going for the Vortex III/LE 15'' or 17'' but in the first case I'm concerned about the great increase of weight and the super sized power brick (do I really need max 16GB RAM and a more powerful graphics card?), and in the latter about the lack of portability and battery life...

Do you think the spec I selected is going to be good enough and future proof for my needs, especially in terms of RAM, battery life and GPU or would you suggest something else?

Last edited by a moderator:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums :)

The specification you have selected is well balanced and more than capable of the uses you have specified. As you are a causal gamer the GT 650M is more than suitable and you do not need to upgrade to the Vortex III/LE. 8GB is RAM is more than enough for your needs and the upgraded battery will give you the maximum battery life from your laptop.

D

Drakknar

Thanks for your kind reply :)

I have a couple of last minute questions I would like to ask you before placing the order: is there any chance to have an optical hdd drive caddy instead of the dvd writer? I never used an optical media with my old laptop so maybe in the future it could be handy to have another slot for some extra storage space (I know, I'm a storage fanatic lol)

As I also use quite a lot virtualisation apps like VMWare, do you know if I can enable the Intel VT-X instructions via the bios settings?

:)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The Optimus III 15.6" supports two HDDs by default. Adding a caddy will not save any money but allow for a 3rd HDD - are you sure you'd install 3 hard drives in a notebook? We can add one to your quote no problem, just call us on 0844 499 4000 with the quote reference number after you've saved a quote.

As for the Intel VT-X instructions I'm not sure about this - I'll have to come back to you tomorrow to confirm.

D

Drakknar

Hmm you are absolutely right, a third hdd is not gonna be any good for such a system. If needed I can rely on external USB media.
Thanks again for your help, I'll wait for the last bit of info about VT-X so that I can place the order :)

Meds

I'll wait for the last bit of info about VT-X so that I can place the order :)

Just checked this for you on the Optimus III. There is nowhere in the BIOS where you can alter the Intel VT-X settings. Hope this helps?

D

Drakknar

Hey Meds,
thanks for checking that out for me; previously I had the chance to call the telephone support to have the confirmation that the VT-X technologies were enabled by default in the BIOS :)

I fast tracked my order and I'm already typing from a brand new Optimus III :D