New laptop is not running well

Mate1987

Good evening guys! I would like to ask your help! I received my order last week. The laptop was a gift to my brother for his birthday. It's not a high end laptop but i think it is still good. Unfortunately when we tried it it was underwhelming, the laptop itself getting hot in 1-2 minutes and the games are not running very well. If I share my setup can someone give ideas and help what could we do?
We installed the latest drivers and we tried the options in the software of the cooling fan
Even 1-2-3 years old games like Doom Eternals, Resident Evil 2 Remake on high graphics starts to be choppy and runs with 20-25 FPS, Cyberpunk 2077 runs with 20-30 FPS on medium graphics
As i said i know it is not a max max setup but i think these games should run much better than 20-25 FPS on medium/high graphics
Thank you!
1.jpg

Aza

Rising Star
Have you got anything on there that can give you temp readouts?
HWMonitor or CPUz for example?

Are you using a laptop stand? How warm is warm? Are the fans going on full blast?

Have you run all updates on Windows Update and checked the optional ones (if any)?

It def sounds like something is either configured incorrectly, or perhaps theres a hardware issue (can happen with new machines, theres a little bit of a lottery with computer components but PCS should happily sort that out if its the case)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Can you take a screenshot of your windows update page?

Can you also install HWMonitor from here:

Take screenshots of temps for both CPU and GPU when idle (nothing open at all, not even browser) and under load with heaven benchmark

Mate1987

Hello! I am at work at now but i will do them tomorrow!
Yes, I’m using a cooling fan, and for temperature reading I use the pre installed Control Centre software and Geforce Experience. The fans are only quiet if I set up the quiet mode in the Control Centre, otherwise they’re really loud, like a hair dryer, no joke. And the temperature is really random, sometimes it just randomly jumps between 55 and 75-80 Celsius degree.
Obviously, because it’s a laptop and not a PC, it’s gonna be higher temperature, but these are really sudden changes in my opinion. And I use a cooling pad too. If I put it on performance or even balanced mod, the fans are so loud, I can hear them through headphones as well.
The other issue is the performance, with this specs most of the games should be go on ultra, or at least high settings with no problem, but even after I installed the latest drivers, and tried different settings, Cyberpunk 2077 can’t even reach 50 FPS on the lowest settings, Doom Eternal literally unplayable, 15-20 FPS with anything above medium, Resident Evil 2 barely 60 FPS on performance settings and I still experience stuttering.
The only 2 games which had decent performance are Quantum Break and Ys IX: Monstrum Nex. My only two guess is is either the Windows 11 (which came pre installed) are not good for gaming at all, or the thermal paste on the CPU is simply bad.
The laptop itself boots up fast, browsing on the web is fast, but when it comes to gaming, it struggles, even if everything is up to date.

Aza

Rising Star
Its a (half educated) stab in the dark, but i'm thinking an issue with the GPU then.... have a look at device manager and see if there are any warnings, double check in windows update that you've installed everything, Perhaps completely reinstall the graphics drivers (although I dont think thats going to help from what you have said).

Have you contacted PCS?

Aza

Rising Star
Id suggest logging into your PCS account and requesting a RMA through there...
What warranty package did you take with it?

Either way, logging a RMA sooner rather than later, if there is hardware issues it will show that its how it turned up and shouldnt end up costing you anything rather than waiting a few weeks and possibly missing the free courier coverage (in case you didnt upgrade to a full years cover)

Mate1987

We got the standard warranty, we will do it if they answer, thank you for your help, it is just dissapointing, because as I said it was a birthday surprise present for my brother and the experience was very underwhelming when we tried it out

Aza

Rising Star
I'd recommend putting the request in immediately...it will still take time to get a reply anyway and if standard warranty it will only cover courier costs for the month....rather than getting into an email conversation which you're going to lose a week or so especially as its a bank holiday weekend, then you have to wait for someone to answer etc etc...

RMA wont cost you anything, and sooner the request goes in the better.

I should also point out that as much as you are disappointed it really is just bad luck, things can happen in transit, someone you can just get a dud component... its pretty much the way it works with computers you do occational get duds. I'm sure PCS will happily sort it for you, ive had laptops in the past and been in similar shoes.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I wouldn't suggest an RMA at this stage, I'd do some basic troubleshooting first, it's very likely simply a bad paste job which is easily fixable.

Aza

Rising Star
It's almost certainly not the GPU that's overheating.

But GPU is just the same as a CPU on a laptop.
Ok.

I thought it might be the GPU as they said it started having problems soon as you tried games and stuff on it.
Any past issues ive had with laptops its also nearly always been something going on with the GPU when getting display problems and the fans running overdrive (particularly with the last laptop I had, which then got to the death stages of flickering green streaks/squares before it would overheat and crash).

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok.

I thought it might be the GPU as they said it started having problems soon as you tried games and stuff on it.
Any past issues ive had with laptops its also nearly always been something going on with the GPU when getting display problems and the fans running overdrive (particularly with the last laptop I had, which then got to the death stanges of flickering green streaks/squares before it would overheat and crash).
If the CPU thermal throttles it will bottleneck the GPU, so normally with poor game performance, the first thing you check is the CPU.

This is moreso on a laptop just because of the way they're assembled, it's most likely CPU / heatsink not being applied properly.

Often with cheaper chassis, the CPU and GPU share the same heatsink so it's related to both really as you have to do both at the same time.

Reactions: Aza

Mate1987

Hello guys! Thank you for thr patience and help I post the screenshots now. These are the results during normal circumstances ( no browser etc...)

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 1.png
    1.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 73

Mate1987

These are after the benchmark