New Laptop replacing a Desktop

MikeD

I have a new laptop being built by PCS to replace my old PCS desktop PC and am hoping for any advice regarding any potential issues that I may face regarding the battery, as I intend to run it almost permanently off the mains. I have a mesh rack to keep the laptop on, I hope that should allow decent air circulation, and will be using an external monitor, keyboard and mouse, in essence I am using the laptop as I presenty use my desktop. The laptop will be used for a small amount of photo editing, but its main use will be word processing and database work, and some limited powerpoint presentations away from home, but no gaming. I look forward to any comments and pointers from anyone using their laptop in a similar way, thanks in anticipation.
Mike

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have a new laptop being built by PCS to replace my old PCS desktop PC and am hoping for any advice regarding any potential issues that I may face regarding the battery, as I intend to run it almost permanently off the mains. I have a mesh rack to keep the laptop on, I hope that should allow decent air circulation, and will be using an external monitor, keyboard and mouse, in essence I am using the laptop as I presenty use my desktop. The laptop will be used for a small amount of photo editing, but its main use will be word processing and database work, and some limited powerpoint presentations away from home, but no gaming. I look forward to any comments and pointers from anyone using their laptop in a similar way, thanks in anticipation.
Mike
I use my laptop on that way, mines old now (2014) and the battery has only just fully worn out. Luckily I bought a spare a few years after I bought it although it really is time to think about starting to replace it.

Ive found that running it as normal, then when not in use, don’t leave it on standby or anything, disable hibernation on it and fully shut it down each time, and then turn of off at the mains when not in use.

Ive found that led to better battery wear than when I left the mains on when it wasn’t in use.

Hibernation and sleep are things that will far more rapidly wear the battery.

Avoid direct sunlight where possible also, as heat will degrade the battery faster.

MikeD

Hi, that is reassuring as I am into new territory in using a laptop in place of a desktop, I have always in the past turned off the desktop and switched off at the mains after use so that is certainly something that I will continue to do with the laptop. Of course using a separate external monitor, once the laptop has been switched on, I will be obviously closing the cover/screen, and wondered if you had any experience of eliminating this step by going into the BIOS settings and enabling a keyboard option to switch on the laptop.
I seem to recall from a conversation I once heard that there is a setting that enables this to be achieved. Thanks for your reply.
Mike

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
and wondered if you had any experience of eliminating this step by going into the BIOS settings and enabling a keyboard option to switch on the laptop.
Laptop BIOSes are usually pretty restrictive compared to desktops, I'm not sure that would be possible on a laptop.

TBH, didn't even realise it was possible on a desktop. There's the windows hibernation which puts the laptop into a suspended sleep, and that can be woken by mouse or keyboard, but that doesn't fully shut down the laptop, it's just in a low power state, and that will knacker the battery a lot quicker.

MikeD

I think that when I have finished transferring all my bits and pieces over to my new laptop I will make sure that the hibernation function is disabled, and will also investigate that potential option to have a keyboad key assigned to switch on the laptop, if I do discover a method to do it I will let you know. Thanks for your comments, they are very much appreciated.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I think that when I have finished transferring all my bits and pieces over to my new laptop I will make sure that the hibernation function is disabled, and will also investigate that potential option to have a keyboad key assigned to switch on the laptop, if I do discover a method to do it I will let you know. Thanks for your comments, they are very much appreciated.
on my cosmos to wake from sleep is fn F12

Nedd Ludd

Mike, what is your spec for your laptop. I may be senile as I cannot see your spec anywhere. The model will make a huge difference as will the use of your laptop. Is it a full desktop replacement, a portable "desktop" or a laptop for use on the go?