NEW Laptop Temperature Concerns

fauxvirgo

Hi all,

My gaming laptop came today and I am a little worried about the temperature it’s getting up to.

I have Speccy installed and according to the program, the CPU is generally resting at 38-41* celsius but has gotten up to 61* celsius completely at rest with nothing running except for Speccy itself. The graphics are reading at 43-44* celsius at rest.

It’s a 15’6” Elimina, 32GB RAM, 931GB storage (Corsair MP400), 4095mb NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 graphics card.

This is my first custom built laptop so I‘m not sure what is considered “normal” with these specs.

Am I right to be concerned? The fan did get pretty loud when installing windows updates, but has quietened down now. It got very loud again when the temperature “randomly” jumped to 61* celsius.

Thanks all!

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
This is quite normal on modern laptops, they can fluctuate between 30 and 60 quite a bit as the fans don't really kick in until after this (otherwise you'd get wildly fluctuating fans very often). They focus more on the upper limits these days. As MartinR36 mentioned the full-load temps are the focus. Interested to know what you get though :)

fauxvirgo

This is quite normal on modern laptops, they can fluctuate between 30 and 60 quite a bit as the fans don't really kick in until after this (otherwise you'd get wildly fluctuating fans very often). They focus more on the upper limits these days. As MartinR36 mentioned the full-load temps are the focus. Interested to know what you get though :)
Thank you for your response! I played a game that only requires 4GB RAM (minimum) and it got up to 73*C as soon as I started it and, naturally, the fan kicked in pretty loudly. Is this still normal? 🙂

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
This seems fine, keep an eye on it and if you have any concerns or just want to check please feel free to ask away!