New Macbook Pro

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Sounds awesome

The screen is 2880x1800, thats impressive, and its powered by a 650M, probably gonna cost £3,000 but the screen sounds awesome

tavon

£1799 with 15.6' 2880 X 1800 Retina 220 DPI screen, 1GB GDDR5 Nvidia 650M, 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3L (Low Voltage), 256GB SSD, 2.3Ghz Quad core i7

Height: 1.8 cm (0.71 inches)
Width: 35.89 cm (14.13 inches)
Depth: 24.71 cm (9.73 inches)
Weight: 2.02 kg (4.46 pounds)

I would have liked a more powerful GPU, but it's an amazing spec for the price and so thin.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
£1799 with 15.6' 2880 X 1800 Retina 220 DPI screen, 1GB GDDR5 Nvidia 650M, 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3L (Low Voltage), 256GB SSD, 2.3Ghz Quad core i7

Height: 1.8 cm (0.71 inches)
Width: 35.89 cm (14.13 inches)
Depth: 24.71 cm (9.73 inches)
Weight: 2.02 kg (4.46 pounds)

I would have liked a more powerful GPU, but it's an amazing spec for the price and so thin.

thats surprisingly good value for an apple mac

Xii_Damian

Bronze Level Poster
Glad I went Vortex III over this I was going to see if apple gave us a 670m but no I didn't think they would, still years behind with delivering GPUs..

jonny123

Bright Spark
Ive never liked macs because of the cost for there spec you can get a windows spec alot cheaper but the new macbook looks amazing,When i was looking around for a laptop a while ago i couldent find one that looked pretty awsome,Had a backlit keyboard,good specs and a good company (good service) and i went with the skyfire but if this was out then i think i would of went for that as its just amazing,Espiccally seeing how light and thin it is.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
But if you wanted a gaming laptop, it would be pretty pointless, you would still be running on 1440x900 as games dont use that resolution and there is all of about 5 games on steam that work with mac, and i think they are mostly GTA, and then you have badly scaled iPhone games on the mac app store

jonny123

Bright Spark
Yeh i know,Gaming is the only bad thing about it.When i bought the laptop it was for my art and design course in sixth form (Which the mac would be perfect for) but i have played games like fifa,bf3 and cod but im not a huge gamer so its not much of a issue.it would be able to play games on disk?e.g if i bought the new black ops/Fifa on a disk would they work with macs?.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
No, Mac does not run executable files, it would need a complete workaround, of course you could use that parallel desktop program which sets up windows in a parallel desktop but they run really badly

jonny123

Bright Spark
Ah ok then that sucks but for a non gamer the mac would be perfect imo and i would never buy a mac before but when i buy my new laptop i think i would consider getting a mac.If they could get games to work on the mac it would be much better though.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Macs are a complete rip off imo, you can do everything on a windows machine if you want to and it will be much faster and cheaper than a mac, you are just paying for the brand on a mac

You can do art and design on a windows just fine, you have photoshop, CAD and tonnes of other programs

jonny123

Bright Spark
I agree that macs should be cheaper and most macs i would rather buy a computer for or build one and it would be much cheaper,I wouldent buy the mac desktop (Dont know what it is called) or the smaller mac because there is no point but the new one theyve realised imo is amazing and alot better than most laptops now in a way.Ofc you can get better specs for cheaper,But the retina display,The funcanality beetween ipods,iphones and ipads with the mac is awsome.The design is clean and ALOT lighter than most laptops (And ofc thin) and the mac has just a cleaner look and feel to it imo.For professional graphic design or photographer i can see why they would pick the mac.Im not saying its right how much they charge and like you said they are more expensive than they could be.But for 1806.47 you can get a realy nice clean laptop thats extremly portable with the best display on a laptop that can be used with devices that most people have (Ipads,iphones )etc and included in the specs is a 512gb ssd and a 7 hour battery life along with a 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache.

Last edited:

johnckeen

macs are a waste of time, especially the new macbook pro.
The SSD is specially designed by Samsung so you cannot upgrade unless some come up on the market.
The ram is soldered to the motherboard so you cannot upgrade that either.
The battery is glued to the chassis so if your battery dies you need to buy a new chassis with the battery or buy a new laptop and no you cant just rip the battery out because its glued down underneath the touchpad and the wires so you will most likely damage it beyond repair doing so.

The reason they have made it look so slick and light and "cool" is because everything has been built specific to that laptop so nothing generic will fit...

Waste if money unless you have money to burn.
Sorry if some people dont like what im saying.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
macs are a waste of time, especially the new macbook pro.
The SSD is specially designed by Samsung so you cannot upgrade unless some come up on the market.
The ram is soldered to the motherboard so you cannot upgrade that either.
The battery is glued to the chassis so if your battery dies you need to buy a new chassis with the battery or buy a new laptop and no you cant just rip the battery out because its glued down underneath the touchpad and the wires so you will most likely damage it beyond repair doing so.

The reason they have made it look so slick and light and "cool" is because everything has been built specific to that laptop so nothing generic will fit...

Waste if money unless you have money to burn.
Sorry if some people dont like what im saying.

I gotta disagree, while macs are not that upgradeable, they are one of the most reliable computers out there. I have had my macbook pro and my 27 iMac for over 2 years each now and have not had a single problem with either, I also use several at work and have never run into a single problem on any of them. I cant say as much for PCs, In fact pretty much every PC I've had or used has had a problem at some time or other, including those running Linux.

I'm also unsure as to where you are getting your information about how the components fit into the macs, ram is not soldered to the motherboard, infact please see here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270#link3 for an official link describing how to replace ram in a macbook pro. SSDs and HDDs are also replacable, pretty easily too, plenty of videos showing you how to do it online.

The battery is one of the things I'm not bothered about, I have never known anyone to have a problem with a battery on any of their apple products. I may just be lucky, but then I am in contact with a lot of apple products, be it iPhones, iPods, macs etc and so the lack of problems means I dont see lack of removeability as a problem.

Anyway as for use, for a gamer yes they are a waste of money, for photographers, musicians, even programmers such as myself they are absolutley fantastic machines and completely destroy any PC/Laptop. As many people on here know I have a pretty good PC, id still go back to my mac in an instant for a lot of my programming. The workflow on OSX is fantastic in comparison with any windows or linux based OS. Everything just works too, never have any hasstle with anything. I use my PC alot for 3D rendering, game design, mobile app design etc and there are always niggly little problems, compatability and the like, things I never have on my mac.

As I say, it depends entirely on what you are using it for. Those who think macs are a waste of money or a rip off, either haven't used it or don't have the need for one, id say they are far from a rip off.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i gotta disagree, while macs are not that upgradeable, they are one of the most reliable computers out there. I have had my macbook pro and my 27 imac for over 2 years each now and have not had a single problem with either, i also use several at work and have never run into a single problem on any of them. I cant say as much for pcs, in fact pretty much every pc i've had or used has had a problem at some time or other, including those running linux.

I'm also unsure as to where you are getting your information about how the components fit into the macs, ram is not soldered to the motherboard, infact please see here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1270#link3 for an official link describing how to replace ram in a macbook pro. Ssds and hdds are also replacable, pretty easily too, plenty of videos showing you how to do it online.

The battery is one of the things i'm not bothered about, i have never known anyone to have a problem with a battery on any of their apple products. I may just be lucky, but then i am in contact with a lot of apple products, be it iphones, ipods, macs etc and so the lack of problems means i dont see lack of removeability as a problem.

Anyway as for use, for a gamer yes they are a waste of money, for photographers, musicians, even programmers such as myself they are absolutley fantastic machines and completely destroy any pc/laptop. As many people on here know i have a pretty good pc, id still go back to my mac in an instant for a lot of my programming. The workflow on osx is fantastic in comparison with any windows or linux based os. Everything just works too, never have any hasstle with anything. I use my pc alot for 3d rendering, game design, mobile app design etc and there are always niggly little problems, compatability and the like, things i never have on my mac.

As i say, it depends entirely on what you are using it for. Those who think macs are a waste of money or a rip off, either haven't used it or don't have the need for one, id say they are far from a rip off.

hes back!!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
cool, well you may remember recommending me a ASUS Transformer, and I will be getting the new Infinity TF700 when its released, whats your app? and is it tablet compatible?

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
cool, well you may remember recommending me a ASUS Transformer, and I will be getting the new Infinity TF700 when its released, whats your app? and is it tablet compatible?

Ah sounds good. Um all I can say at the moment is its a strategy game, its in beta at the moment, itll be released hopefully within about 3 months from now. It can be run on a tablet, I run it both on my samsung galaxy s3 and my xoom 2 me tablet, both run it fine, although it looks much better on a phone. I will eventually get round to rewriting the interface fully for tablets.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Ah sounds good. Um all I can say at the moment is its a strategy game, its in beta at the moment, itll be released hopefully within about 3 months from now. It can be run on a tablet, I run it both on my samsung galaxy s3 and my xoom 2 me tablet, both run it fine, although it looks much better on a phone. I will eventually get round to rewriting the interface fully for tablets.

well let me know when its up, if i had a phone or tablet running android atm i would offer to help test it, but i havent got either :(