New Macbook Pro

Frenchy

Prolific Poster

This doesn't apply to any macbook apart from the retina version. It doesnt apply to the new normal pros. Either you want super thin or you want upgradeable, cant have both. As they explain in the video to make the laptop as thin as possible, they have to create custom parts to fit inside the new casing. The retina pro is just a side version, much like the air, completely designed for portability, but also keeping power in mind. The people who are going to need to upgrade will almost certainly be using a standard pro, even so though, I can't say I come across many mac users that wish to upgrade, they generally have the fastest ram available, extrenmely good SSD/HDDs, mine are both 2 years old and still run extremely quickly. The problem most users have with PCs is the amount of crap they download onto them, makes them run slow and then they think upgrading ram will make a difference. Most mac users dont tend to download the copious amounts of crap and therefore keep their systems running extreely quick for a very long time.

As I said though, macs in general do not have any sort of problem with upgradeability, only those that need custom parts in the first place. But that is the same with anything, If you are going to try and push the limits of manufacturing to build something which ultimately ends up being extremely thin, lightweight, portable and extremely powerful they are going to ahve to make compramises. I don't see how this can reflect badly upon apple at all, they could however turn around and say "No sorry but were not going to try and produce a thinner laptop because we dont want to deprive the few who upgrade once in a while", guaranteed the majority of mac users would be annoyed since most almost certainly dont care about upgrading.

johnckeen

When i was making my statement it was with regards to the retina mac book pros, not the older ones.
Ive had my pc for 4 years now and ive been slowly upgrading it bit by bit but never have i had it fall over on me.
I think your pc/mac is as good as you treat it. If you look after it, clean it and sort it out every now and again it will last forever.

Just dont drop it! :p

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
When i was making my statement it was with regards to the retina mac book pros, not the older ones.
Ive had my pc for 4 years now and ive been slowly upgrading it bit by bit but never have i had it fall over on me.
I think your pc/mac is as good as you treat it. If you look after it, clean it and sort it out every now and again it will last forever.

Just dont drop it! :p

yes and the cleaning up thing is a lot easier on mac, if there is a lot less crap to throw around, its not gonna get anywhere near as messy, which is one way of looking at less programs as a good thing :/

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Yeah i've had a couple of Mac's for non gaming uses and theres no doubting there impressive machines. There just a lot of money when you comapre it agains a spec of a Windows laptop but i've alwasy seen it as like comparing a PC to a Games console. You cant really.

I liked the isometric fans that produce different sound frequencys to reduce the annoying noise from the cooling system and the curved components inside. They come up with some good ideas. I've never really found any of my Macbooks noisy though compared to my Vortex its a lot quiter. But thats why we have speakers, to drown out the noise.

Also read that they were developing a patch for Diablo 3 just for the Retna display on macs. Should look nice

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Yeah i've had a couple of Mac's for non gaming uses and theres no doubting there impressive machines. There just a lot of money when you comapre it agains a spec of a Windows laptop but i've alwasy seen it as like comparing a PC to a Games console. You cant really.

I liked the isometric fans that produce different sound frequencys to reduce the annoying noise from the cooling system and the curved components inside. They come up with some good ideas. I've never really found any of my Macbooks noisy though compared to my Vortex its a lot quiter. But thats why we have speakers, to drown out the noise.

Also read that they were developing a patch for Diablo 3 just for the Retna display on macs. Should look nice

considering the macbooks only have a 650m or something, it wont look very nice, the graphics will be on the lowest settings just to allow for the resolution

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Diable isn't that demanding a game i would have said but you may have a point. Notebook checker recons they can get the following on Ultra

41.1 FPS
[X] 550P7C-S02DE
Intel Core i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
GeForce GT 650M (835MHz), 2048MB (900MHz) DDR3-VRAM, Turbo bis 950 MHz, ForceWare 295.55
8192MB RAM

But that depends on the advanced Graphics settings they used.

dangro474

Bright Spark
I have to strongly disagree with previous comments regarding the retina displays.

2880x1800 on a 15" screen? Really? I struggle to make out individual pixels on a 15" 1080p screen while squinting at it from a centimetre away.

Unless you are prone to sitting an inch away while staring at your screen through a magnifying glass, the only effect the retina display will have on the use of the laptop is poor upscaling (hence negatively impact visual aesthetics) while gaming.

Its just as pointless as the 2x00 x 1x00 resolution iPads that which only results in overpriced tat.

There is a very good reason why even enthusiast gaming laptops do not offer panels past 1080/1200p and it certainly isn't due to technologial restrictions or panel cost.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I have to strongly disagree with previous comments regarding the retina displays.

2880x1800 on a 15" screen? Really? I struggle to make out individual pixels on a 15" 1080p screen while squinting at it from a centimetre away.

Unless you are prone to sitting an inch away while staring at your screen through a magnifying glass, the only effect the retina display will have on the use of the laptop is poor upscaling (hence negatively impact visual aesthetics) while gaming.

Its just as pointless as the 2x00 x 1x00 resolution iPads that which only results in overpriced tat.

There is a very good reason why even enthusiast gaming laptops do not offer panels past 1080/1200p and it certainly isn't due to technologial restrictions or panel cost.

I must admit, the retina display is a not nicer than my iPad and makes reading small text much easier, but im not getting another iPad, getting an actual Full HD tablet instead

sakumatu

Bronze Level Poster
I gotta disagree, while macs are not that upgradeable, they are one of the most reliable computers out there. I have had my macbook pro and my 27 iMac for over 2 years each now and have not had a single problem with either, I also use several at work and have never run into a single problem on any of them. I cant say as much for PCs, In fact pretty much every PC I've had or used has had a problem at some time or other, including those running Linux.

Just wanted to say that I honestly believe it's the myth that macs are more reliable. They are just as reliable as are the components they made out off.

About 6 years ago got myself Dell's laptop (see my sig). 2 years later housemate got Mac pro.
On Mac
GPU - Fail. Got replaced just before warranty ran out.
HDD - Fail. Got replaced.
DVD drive doesn't write anymore. And believe me she have tried everything and since she can watch DVDs, she's just not bothered anymore.

Another friend got himself a year old Macbook. 3 years later complete failure. Not sure what was wrong with it. He was lucky to get all his data from it and couldn't even give it to the kids for net surfing.

My 6 years old Dell
1 fan doesn't work. Battery is useless. Otherwise runs perfectly well with Win XP. Thinking off installing Linux on that. Just to try it out.

Last year I just thought enough is enough and got myself Vortex II. Hardware is alright, I'm just not happy with Win 7. Way too many crashes compared to times with XP. It's just silly that you have to check all sort off drivers now and then. Shouldn't crash anyway. And on that side of the story I have to admit Apple have done much better job, even I never used Mac, but seems so.