New Minecraft Hosting

Sleinous

Author Level
Due to Gorman being ill and teh christmas break where servers (I imagine) @ PCS will be offline, ive decided to host the map myself, on the latest version that I actuially have available to me which was about 5hrs before the whole thing stopped working.

All I need to redo is the roofing on teh spawn point, haematite needs to redig the tunnel that connects him to the deep tunnel thing I made in the spawn base.

I think spiko and jojo_x were working on a tower, my apologies for the few hours that will be lost but yeah, better somethign than nothing right? if you want to wait for the old server, you can, although, then we'll be likely on 2 seperate server as some of us will have progressed on mine and some will have waited for what they did on the old one :p

Anyway, ill provide IP in a bit via PM when its all done.

Furthermore, the server will be online until 4PM today, and maybe a bit tonight.

Every other day except Wednesday and probably Xmas day, itll be on from around 9am to 7pm.

After the 27th, itll be offline till teh 31st as ill be in France.

Ill probably pass the world over to my friend to host during that time.

This is the best I can think of for time being.

EDIT

OK, server is hosted, but ye we've decided we want the up-to-date map off teh server before people come, so ive dished out the ip but ye the world will be updated with the new one when gorman is next in.

Also, my ip is a dynamic IP, i dont think you can type web-urls in, otherwise u could have used dyndns to always connect to my right IP, hopefully it wont change often, but if u cant get in, its because the IP did change, so pm me and ill dish out teh new one each time.

EDIT EDIT:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK we're gonna scrap the whole hosting at home thingy, we're gonna buy a server at MyMCServ, for $9.60 (£6.20) per month. We will be buying this:

MYMCSERV.png

Total Burst RAM will be 1024MB, including the OpenVZ thing it runs on.

512MB for minecraft, which is enough to comfortably satisfy 6 players at any one time (we've never been more than 6 on the server at any one time anyways).

There is NO cap on how manny can join, so we could quite easily get 10 player on at same time, but it may start to lag abit.

The main thing is i'll be able to update it as soon as updates come out, and it will auto restart if it crashes.

Haematite and myself will split the cost 50 50 but if you want to donate the odd penny to teh cause, my paypal is [email protected]

I will probably set up a whitelist so we dont get griefers.

Any questions, pm away.

Oh and Gorman, dont worry, ill still all-hail you upon arrival :p Oh and, when you're better and back in work, we will need teh most up-to-date minecraft map.

and... ANOTHER edit...

That $9.60 one is out of stock, so we'll be going for the UK one, same RAM and everything, $13/month

minecraftserverhost.png

~~~Latest News~~~

Server bought, turns out they dont use the OpenVC one anymore as its a bit slower, so we have a Xen for the same price of $13 (would have been $15) same 512MB of RAM, etc etc, and we can download the map for backups.

Paid for it, just awaiting updated map from Gorman now :) We will probably white-list so I can just dish out the IP on the forums and it will be a 'PM to add' policy.

Last edited:

Sleinous

Author Level
OK this has been edited so many times its just getting confusing now...

So, we've bought the Xen server, 512MB of RAM, 6 players lag free, but no limit to number of people that can get on, it may just get laggier!

Server will be fully up and running once Hmod version is updated.

Last edited:

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
Sounds good :).

Probably wont be worth playing atm till notch releases another bugfix to the beta. From what I've heard (going on the mojang get satisfaction support thing), since Beta theres loads of problems with lag, people are having problems running the game on good machines, and there seem to be quite a few new bugs now.

Sleinous

Author Level
I gave it a whirl by hosting my own server & everything seemed fine :) Hopefully ill get it up tomorrow and see you lot in there :) no progress on the map will be lost!

Al.Neri

Super Star
you should give us the info to join it while we are waiting, give it a stress test until you get the old one back.

Sleinous

Author Level
Join what? Server at home? I took that down, it was slowing down my CPU folding by about 1minute.

The one we've paid for will be available tomorrow, (advanced admin through hMod will only be available once hMod is updated to support beta status). As soon as I get our map, we'll move it across and we'll be up and running :)

Sleinous

Author Level
Ok the payment has been taken, and the server is now online.

IP: 109.169.55.120

There is NO map at the moment, I will tell you on here once the map is installed. There will be a whitelist. Dont worry ill add all teh usual players on straight away.

Sleinous

Author Level
Apparently there's a ton of mods you can add too rofl, like...

MoveCraft
Add moving ships and aircrafts and UFO's to your server!

jojo_x

Is it up yet?? If not tell me when it is, please.

I've had to go back to the sims 2, I think I'm addicted to minecraft. :S

Last edited:

Sleinous

Author Level
jojo made a tower, i repaired the respawn roof (tok out roof and raised roof) haematite worked on his brik house and linked a tunnel, dno about evvery1 else

Al.Neri

Super Star
maybe we could have 2 servers going, the original with the original map, and you start a completely new one, then players can choose between the 2. it would be a shame to lose the old map, but I can appreciate the prospect of playing a new one.

Sleinous

Author Level
the 5hr old map is being uploaded now. If gorman is around to give me the updated version by tonight then ill put that up, otherwise we just need to get on with the 5hr old one

EDIT: We dont lose the old map, just under 5hrsz of progress

Last edited:

Al.Neri

Super Star
I know, what I meant was that we could have 2 servers with 2 different maps, the new one on yours and the old one on the previous server, as opposed to just the old one on the new server should the old one be taken down.

best case scenario is 2 different maps on 2 different servers, should one go down, people can play on the other. if we only have the one server, should that go down, we would be in the same boat as we have been in for a while now, no server to play on at all.

Sleinous

Author Level
Ye but this server is paid for and online 24/7, no risk of loss of map.

I can get Gorman to make a new map on his server

~~~~~Server now Online, happy gaming~~~~~~~~