New Monitor Help

Sceers

Hey everyone,

I've been looking into a brand new monitor for my new build and I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with how many there are to choose from! There's so many variations of refresh rates, screen sizes etc so I'm not sure where to begin so I could use some help if there's some go to recommendations out there =)

I also want to utilize my current specs the best way I can as currently I'm only using a 2560 x 1080 from LG (LG 34WK650 34-Inch Ultrawide Height Adjustable HDR 10 IPS Monitor) which was purchased for editing. The resolution in games is decent but given that it's not 2560 x 1440, it's got a slight blur aspect to it due to the 1080 so it's not the best for gaming.

I recently managed to get an TUF Gaming GeForce RTX™ 3090 Ti OC Edition, and I'm wondering to step up to that kind of card should I aim for a 4k monitor? Or would 2560 x 1440 still be really good? I'm just wondering if a 4k monitor is worth it given a 27/32" screen size? I'm willing to spend around £600 or so but I'm not sure what is best for the money.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
If the system is purely for gaming then the 3090Ti warrants a £1k monitor, £600 isn't really going to cut it unfortunately. In your shoes I would actually sell on the 3090Ti, purchase a 3070Ti and a monitor and pocket the change :D

Sceers

If the system is purely for gaming then the 3090Ti warrants a £1k monitor, £600 isn't really going to cut it unfortunately. In your shoes I would actually sell on the 3090Ti, purchase a 3070Ti and a monitor and pocket the change :D
I should have mentioned that I also use it for heavy editing/rendering so it's a bit of a multitasking thing going on but I just wanted to know a monitor that would do the system justice at the same time. I'm willing to go higher in budget but just wasn't sure if the whole 4k on a small-ish screen was worth while?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I should have mentioned that I also use it for heavy editing/rendering so it's a bit of a multitasking thing going on but I just wanted to know a monitor that would do the system justice at the same time. I'm willing to go higher in budget but just wasn't sure if the whole 4k on a small-ish screen was worth while?
Size has no bearing on gaming particularly at 4k. An 80" 4k monitor would still look pretty incredible.

Most decent 4k screens are over 32"

Sceers

Size has no bearing on gaming particularly at 4k. An 80" 4k monitor would still look pretty incredible.

Most decent 4k screens are over 32"
I think I just read somewhere that 4k on a smaller screen isn't as noticeable in the 4k vs that of a much larger screen for example

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Am I correct in saying that 3840 x 1600p is ultrawide 4k?

4k is 2160p. The most popular, vertical, naming conventions would be 1080p, 1440p and 2160p. 1600p is closer, and more comparable, to 1440p.

Sceers

After shopping around a bit I think a good monitor might be the ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQ 4K Ultra HD 32" IPS LCD Gaming Monitor. Has anyone heard good things about this or possibly have this as their own monitor?

I'm looking for a decent 4k 32" monitor and this seems to be up there. But if anyone has any advice for any alternate suggestions that could be a better fit, let me know! Thank you =)

Fizzo

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, I have been looking around for basically the same specs it seems like the M32U and the PG32U are the best reasonable priced monitor in the market currently. Both seem to have pros and cons so here is a little list of them-

M32U

Pro's

. Quite a bit cheaper
. KVM switch can be relatively useful
. Smaller stand width

Cons
. Plastic casing and cheaper looking casing
. Not very good internal speakers
. Not very good stand

PG32UQ

Pro's

. Has more of a gamer aesthetic and has a RGB feature at the back
. Amazingly good colours
. Can be pushed to 155Hz

Cons
. £130 more expensive
. More ghosting
. Slow response time

.If you have time and money the G8 Neo should be released in 2022 which could be perfect.
.Reviews seem to be very varied in both favour
.The F32U if you really like the M32U but you want a better exterior ( Same panel as the M32U) But its price is expensive

I am currently looking in the 2nd hand market since I don't really like £849 price tag but if you have the cash I would say the PG32U.

References
M32U

PG32U

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Be aware the Asus is a very slow monitor, it's not current Fast IPS technology like almost all monitors released around the same time, it's the older technology so is very slow.

Skip to 13:10 for the M32U Recommendation

I would suggest the M32U personally if gaming is your usage. It has better IPS speeds and better HDR performance.

But one to beat both of them I'd suggest the MSI MPG321UR:

Last edited:

Sceers

Yeah, I have been looking around for basically the same specs it seems like the M32U and the PG32U are the best reasonable priced monitor in the market currently. Both seem to have pros and cons so here is a little list of them-

M32U

Pro's

. Quite a bit cheaper
. KVM switch can be relatively useful
. Smaller stand width

Cons
. Plastic casing and cheaper looking casing
. Not very good internal speakers
. Not very good stand

PG32UQ

Pro's

. Has more of a gamer aesthetic and has a RGB feature at the back
. Amazingly good colours
. Can be pushed to 155Hz

Cons
. £130 more expensive
. More ghosting
. Slow response time

.If you have time and money the G8 Neo should be released in 2022 which could be perfect.
.Reviews seem to be very varied in both favour
.The F32U if you really like the M32U but you want a better exterior ( Same panel as the M32U) But its price is expensive

I am currently looking in the 2nd hand market since I don't really like £849 price tag but if you have the cash I would say the PG32U.

References
M32U

PG32U

Thanks for the reply & information, very helpful!

The G8 Neo is tempting to wait for... Will there be a flat version offered as well? If not, what's the big deal about curved?

As posted by Spyder, did you come across the MSI MPG321UR? Seems like a good option too! =)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the reply & information, very helpful!

The G8 Neo is tempting to wait for... Will there be a flat version offered as well? If not, what's the big deal about curved?

As posted by Spyder, did you come across the MSI MPG321UR? Seems like a good option too! =)
The Samsungs tend to be curved.

Curvature adds immersiveness over a certain physical size.