NEW MONITOR - mains or adaptors?

PC49laptop

Bronze Level Poster
Ordered a new LG 32 inch monitor from Amazon, just about the only place that said they had them in stock. Said 4-5 day delivery took 4 weeks, anyway!

I was surprised that the monitor was not just 240v mains but with an adaptor for 19v, but seems it had come from Italy & had a 2 pin adapter plug.
General question do many monitors now run with adaptors & not straight 240v mains, not come across this before?
Well I contacted Amazon to just ask for a correct UK cable seemed simple, they quickly said that had put a replacement order in, I asked to confirm that they were sending a new UK cable but said no, a complete new screen! They said was too late to cancel & I would have to send original back! I pointed out might be some delay with the return with all the problems with not going out etc, said just return when things get back to normal whenever that is....................
So now waiting for another screen delivery which comes from heavens know where with what type of cable/plug this time?
Just wanting to get right cable has really confused Amazon.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ordered a new LG 32 inch monitor from Amazon, just about the only place that said they had them in stock. Said 4-5 day delivery took 4 weeks, anyway!

I was surprised that the monitor was not just 240v mains but with an adaptor for 19v, but seems it had come from Italy & had a 2 pin adapter plug.
General question do many monitors now run with adaptors & not straight 240v mains, not come across this before?
Well I contacted Amazon to just ask for a correct UK cable seemed simple, they quickly said that had put a replacement order in, I asked to confirm that they were sending a new UK cable but said no, a complete new screen! They said was too late to cancel & I would have to send original back! I pointed out might be some delay with the return with all the problems with not going out etc, said just return when things get back to normal whenever that is....................
So now waiting for another screen delivery which comes from heavens know where with what type of cable/plug this time?
Just wanting to get right cable has really confused Amazon.
It wouldn’t be advised to use a non uk monitor on uk mains, not a good idea really. And no, no monitors these days with separate power supplies, they’re all built in.

have you got a link to the product page on amazon? Sounds particularly dodgy to me.

Im guessing it was a marketplace seller rather than amazon. I would never recommend buying stuff like screens from marketplace sellers as their returns won’t be as good. Always buy direct from amazon.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

andjac

Bronze Level Poster
Agree with spyder i wouldn't reccomend it.

Screens and monitors are built specifically for different regions.
Usually in the full model number there will be coding to indicate intended area of use.
Any EU models are pretty transferable as they are built to meet EU outputs. However, it will differ with UK and US models.

Using it outside of the intended area of use can void the warranty as it's not built to manage the outputs from the mains.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Will see what the 2nd attempt looks like..........................
It does sound like they shipped you a European model rather than uk one, I’m sure they’ll correct it. But it sounds like it was shipped actually from Italy, hence the massive delay. I’d be very surprised if they don’t have uk stocks actually within their UK warehouses, I’d guess you’d get the replacement within a couple of days.

Keep us posted, looks like a nice monitor, haven’t seen that one before would be interested to hear your views.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you look in the customer comments section of the link you posted it actually says its shipped from Italy with a European plug!

PC49laptop

Bronze Level Poster
Yes funny thing is that I never saw comments about missing UK plugs that are now attached to the current similar listing which looks slightly different. Not definite but I looked at many reviews & comments so surprised if I missed these comments. Monitor was sold out just after I bought it took 4 weeks to arrive and now is back listed again.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I haven't seen a monitor that doesn't simply have a mains socket (kettle lead style -IEC 60320 C13 from memory) directly on them.

But I also haven't come across an external PSU for equipment that isn't autosensing of the input voltage (usually from c100V - 250V AC) for well over a decade so I wouldn't generally be too worried about "damage" due to not being built to manage the voltages.

It isn't clear from the reviews if the reviewers had an actual UK mains lead shipped with theirs, or one of those plug adapters, but either way, for that kind of money, I'd expect an entirely UK version full stop!

andjac

Bronze Level Poster
In a 6 year career at a large electronics supplier, the amount of people we've advised we would not honor the warranty for not using the product in the intended environment is higher than you would expect.
Most of my time with the company was managing their Product liability department, who dealt with everything from a burning smell or cut finger to burning a house down. I've seen a lot of what can go wrong.

Please always use the correct products and genuine cables

Last edited:

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
In a 6 year career at a large electronics supplier, the amount of people we've advised we would not honor the warranty for not using the product in the intended environment is higher than you would expect.
Most of my time with the company was managing their Product liability department, who dealt with everything from a burning smell or cut finger to burning a house down. I've seen a lot of what can go wrong.

Please always use the correct products and genuine cables

So it's been a long time but I was an electronics engineer - BSc Electrical and Electronics Engineering. At the start of my career, I repaired kit for some major names to component level - Compaq, Sharp, HP, Dell, Toshiba, etc etc.

Whilst what you say is in one way true, if someone buys something in good faith and it is shipped then the Consumer Rights Act protects them.

If you have a device supplied with a European plug then, by law, a non-removable UK convertor should be supplied - it is not enough to send an adaptor that can easily be removed.

Every mains adapter that I've bought either with or after equipment is autosensing. I literally cannot remember the last time I saw a piece of domestic equipment where you had to manually select the voltage and/or frequency. If you buy such an adaptor in the US, or EU and bring it to the UK, how is that then using it outside of the intended environment?

Indeed, the majority of laptops from the big names such as Dell and HP will usually ship with at least an EU and UK plugged cable and occasionally a US one to boot and they are literally interchangeable.

Ultimately, it is down to the manufacturer to state whether or not their equipment may be used outside of it's intended geographical area (which is what I suspect you may mean by intended environment?) and if it is, whether there is a warranty that extends to that area.

It is then the responsibility of the seller of the equipment to ensure that they abide by any regulatory and manufacturing requirements.

Now if you mean someone buying, for example, a USB-based, flatbed scanner that is designed for home use to do, 5-10 page scans a day and some halfwit company director is getting heated because it can't cope with the multi-hundred pages a day that are actually being scanned, then you are spot on - that's an environment where it was never designed to operate within, and is a whole different ball game (and yes, I had exactly that argument with said director who didn't want to pay for a commercial-grade scanner!).

andjac

Bronze Level Poster
Ultimately, it is down to the manufacturer to state whether or not their equipment may be used outside of it's intended geographical area (which is what I suspect you may mean by intended environment?) and if it is, whether there is a warranty that extends to that area.

This is in almost every T&C and is what we would point out to not honor the warranty.
Excuse my wording i said environment so it would encompass more than just geographical area.
You'd be shocked to see what appliances are kept outdoors or locations with a multitude of extension cables :rolleyes:

Now if you mean someone buying, for example, a USB-based, flatbed scanner that is designed for home use to do, 5-10 page scans a day and some halfwit company director is getting heated because it can't cope with the multi-hundred pages a day that are actually being scanned, then you are spot on - that's an environment where it was never designed to operate within, and is a whole different ball game (and yes, I had exactly that argument with said director who didn't want to pay for a commercial-grade scanner!).
This made me laugh!
I have been in this position many a time. Ahhh commercial use

PC49laptop

Bronze Level Poster
Story so far... the second monitor from Amazon was delivered on 7th May box plastered with Italian stickers & from Milan. Identical to first one & same Italian 2 pin plug. Contacted Amazon, this person was so different, said immediately that it was illegal to supply without UK plugs. They said they would pay for any replacement lead/plugs we bought and take the monitor off Amazon as should not be sold as current listing.

But to make sure said we would contact LG & not just buy an odd one from Amazon. LG were very helpful and asked for full monitor details & serial number & would supply completely free a correct UK lead & plug, had to be ordered so awaiting at moment.

Amazon phoned back to see how we were doing on the Monday, guess they were pleased no cost to them, but we have a contact we can go back to if any further issues.
So pleasantly surprised with very helpful guys at LG & Amazon. Will post comments on the Monitor when up and running.
The same Amazon listing for the monitor still exists but no longer dispatched & sold by Amazon.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Story so far... the second monitor from Amazon was delivered on 7th May box plastered with Italian stickers & from Milan. Identical to first one & same Italian 2 pin plug. Contacted Amazon, this person was so different, said immediately that it was illegal to supply without UK plugs. They said they would pay for any replacement lead/plugs we bought and take the monitor off Amazon as should not be sold as current listing.

But to make sure said we would contact LG & not just buy an odd one from Amazon. LG were very helpful and asked for full monitor details & serial number & would supply completely free a correct UK lead & plug, had to be ordered so awaiting at moment.

Amazon phoned back to see how we were doing on the Monday, guess they were pleased no cost to them, but we have a contact we can go back to if any further issues.
So pleasantly surprised with very helpful guys at LG & Amazon. Will post comments on the Monitor when up and running.
The same Amazon listing for the monitor still exists but no longer dispatched & sold by Amazon.
Have to say, am pretty impressed LG stepped up to the mark, they could have quite easily said you had to deal with amazon. Very impressive.

PC49laptop

Bronze Level Poster
Monitor has been good, but died this week, red hot along the bottom of screen then completely died. Don't want another hassle with Amazon or same monitor so back to the drawing board for a monitor.
Any offers people?
After a 32 inch 4k this time, height adjustable, guess with Freesync to make use of the AMD 5700xt gpu. Struggling to find many 32s with freesync.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Monitor has been good, but died this week, red hot along the bottom of screen then completely died. Don't want another hassle with Amazon or same monitor so back to the drawing board for a monitor.
Any offers people?
After a 32 inch 4k this time, height adjustable, guess with Freesync to make use of the AMD 5700xt gpu. Struggling to find many 32s with freesync.
What budget?

You are getting the other one claimed on warranty I take it?