New monitor question

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys, had my new PC I bought from PCS for a while now and all is very good thanks to the advice I was given here.

Looking to upgrade to 1440p as I'm currently on 240hz 1080p.

I would like to stay 240hz so am looking at either the Dell Alienware AW2721D or the ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM.

My question is, because I have a 3080 card. Will I see a performance / FPS increase in using a 1440p monitor as it will utilise my GPU more as it's a higher res? Or will I see a decrease in performance? I play FPS games and like to get as high FPS as possible.

Thanks in advance.

PC Specs:

Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING WIFI (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2500MB/sW)
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey guys, had my new PC I bought from PCS for a while now and all is very good thanks to the advice I was given here.

Looking to upgrade to 1440p as I'm currently on 240hz 1080p.

I would like to stay 240hz so am looking at either the Dell Alienware AW2721D or the ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM.

My question is, because I have a 3080 card. Will I see a performance / FPS increase in using a 1440p monitor as it will utilise my GPU more as it's a higher res? Or will I see a decrease in performance? I play FPS games and like to get as high FPS as possible.

Thanks in advance.

PC Specs:

Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING WIFI (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2500MB/sW)
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Lols, that GPU is completely and utterly wasted at 1080p 240Hz, you'll only have been using about half the power.

You'd still be maxxing out 240Hz at 1440p on the understanding you're using competitive graphics settings.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
There is a theoretical advantage to having your GPU push out more frames than your monitor can display, because you get the most up to date information. I'm very sceptical as to whether it's really noticeable, though.

But yes, you will find that you get lower frame rates at 1440p compared to 1080p. So in that sense it'll be "worse". It'll be mitigated, however: you'll still be able to get way more than the monitor can display, and also most FPS-intensive games end up CPU limited rather than GPU. This means that you might not lose as high a proportion of your framerate as you would in a AAA game.

You'll be fine, but the frame count will be lower.

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
Lols, that GPU is completely and utterly wasted at 1080p 240Hz, you'll only have been using about half the power.

You'd still be maxxing out 240Hz at 1440p on the understanding you're using competitive graphics settings.
Yes I thought that when I first got the PC, so when you say maxxing out you mean i'll be getting atleast 240fps?

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
There is a theoretical advantage to having your GPU push out more frames than your monitor can display, because you get the most up to date information. I'm very sceptical as to whether it's really noticeable, though.

But yes, you will find that you get lower frame rates at 1440p compared to 1080p. So in that sense it'll be "worse". It'll be mitigated, however: you'll still be able to get way more than the monitor can display, and also most FPS-intensive games end up CPU limited rather than GPU. This means that you might not lose as high a proportion of your framerate as you would in a AAA game.

You'll be fine, but the frame count will be lower.
So the frame count will definitely be lower? Even tho the GPU is being utilised much more?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes I thought that when I first got the PC, so when you say maxxing out you mean i'll be getting atleast 240fps?
Yes, you can't see any more than 240Hz because the monitor is the bottleneck.

Again, assuming you're playing on competitive settings.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So the frame count will definitely be lower? Even tho the GPU is being utilised much more?
I'd be virtually certain of it. It certainly won't be higher. It may be that at 1080p the CPU is bottlenecking the graphics card (I'd expect this to be the case for your use), and it may be that at 1440p the CPU bottleneck will be gone and you'll be limited by the graphics card. Or it may be that you're still CPU bottlenecked, in which case you'd probably get the same or very similar framecounts.

The GPU may therefore go from less than 100% use to 100% use, but that doesn't mean there will be more frames, because the frames themselves are much higher quality and require more work to render.

Say at 1080p you get 500FPS. That's 1037 million pixels per second. You might then get, say, 300FPS at 1440p. Because there are more pixels in each frame, this actually works out at more pixels per second (about 1106 million), even though the frame count is reduced and the GPU is working harder. THESE ARE MADE-UP NUMBERS TO ILLUSTRATE A POINT NOT REAL ONES! (For clarity!)

For me this is all worthwhile and I'd much rather the higher resolution, but I don't play FPS games, so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The other option if you really high higher FPS is a 1080p 360Hz monitor, but they're pricey.

Edit: They're not as pricey as I though, about the same as a 1440p 240hz.

Last edited:

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
I'd be virtually certain of it. It certainly won't be higher. It may be that at 1080p the CPU is bottlenecking the graphics card (I'd expect this to be the case for your use), and it may be that at 1440p the CPU bottleneck will be gone and you'll be limited by the graphics card. Or it may be that you're still CPU bottlenecked, in which case you'd probably get the same or very similar framecounts.

The GPU may therefore go from less than 100% use to 100% use, but that doesn't mean there will be more frames, because the frames themselves are much higher quality and require more work to render.

Say at 1080p you get 500FPS. That's 1037 million pixels per second. You might then get, say, 300FPS at 1440p. Because there are more pixels in each frame, this actually works out at more pixels per second (about 1106 million), even though the frame count is reduced and the GPU is working harder. THESE ARE MADE-UP NUMBERS TO ILLUSTRATE A POINT NOT REAL ONES! (For clarity!)

For me this is all worthwhile and I'd much rather the higher resolution, but I don't play FPS games, so take what I say with a pinch of salt.
Thanks mate, good explanation and great example.

I will purchase a 1440p monitor and let you know the results :)