New monitor :(

Rakk

The Awesome
Hey guys, so I think I need a new monitor, my second monitor doesn't seem to show anything anymore (well it did very very very briefly when I was reconnecting the DVI cable for the 4th or 5th time but it disappeared very quickly)
So I'm looking for a 24" monitor, doesn't need to be 120Hz - I don't have 3D glasses, needs a DVI connection, I'm already using one DVI for my first monitor and the HDMI for my TV (3rd screen - though having resolution issues with it at the mo).
Not sure on budget, but less than £200, so anyone know any good monitors I can look for?

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to borrow a monitor from work if I can to verify it is the monitor that's gone rather than anything else, if I can find the guy I need to talk to of course.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
were they the same brand? go with an iiyama monitor but I would try to get the same brand

Rakk

The Awesome
were they the same brand? go with an iiyama monitor but I would try to get the same brand
Of course my monitors weren't the same brand - they weren't even the same resolution :)
The one that I think has died is a V7 brand or something - was the unbranded 1680x1050 monitor from PCS in June 2007, so its getting on a bit, the one that still works is a 3 and half year old Iiyama (1920x1080).

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Have you tried swapping the ports of the monitors,this could verify if it's the monitor,port or possibly it could be the DVI lead itself.
Anyway I would definitely go for an IIyama if new monitor is needed at £125 from PCS,I went for a new Benq as second monitor I also have an LG on another desktop and the IIyama wins for me.
No need to get the same brand or resolution using a second monitor for general use in my opinion,doesn't really make all that much difference for me.

steaky360

I'd agree with Vanthus that getting different brands doesn't matter, however the iiyama's are great monitors imo (and I guess you already know that :))

Rakk

The Awesome
Have you tried swapping the ports of the monitors,this could verify if it's the monitor,port or possibly it could be the DVI lead itself.
Tried a different DVI cable, tried a VGA cable with a DVI-VGA convertor, swapped the cables round so my first monitor was on the lower DVI port of the GPU (where my 2nd monitor is normally plugged in), still no display on the 2nd monitor except briefly when I was plugging in the DVI cable,
Oddly, at least at the beginning when there was no display on the second monitor the light showed the monitor to be on, and my PC showed all 3 screens on the change resolution screen.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I'd agree with Vanthus that getting different brands doesn't matter
I was using different monitors, when changing I did notice the different level of brightness.

Rakk

The Awesome
I was using different monitors, when changing I did notice the different level of brightness.
Yeah I could see the slight difference in colour between mine, but given I'm only planning on getting one new monitor there will be differences anyways between a new Iiyama and my 3.5 year old one (the model has been replaced), so I'm not sure whether to stay with Iiyama or try a different one, thus the reason for asking for advice :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I'd stick with Iiyama personally. Solid brand and decent price. Plus having two of the same monitor looks so much better. My monitor had also been replaced but the refresh model had the same shape and design so no problems there.

D1craig

Enthusiast
I don't mean to sound like a complete idiot here but why do you need another monitor from work to test this? You have a working monitor already and your TV which you ARE using atm so why won't they do the job of testing?

Rakk

The Awesome
I don't mean to sound like a complete idiot here but why do you need another monitor from work to test this? You have a working monitor already and your TV which you ARE using atm so why won't they do the job of testing?
Cos I'm a pessimist, and wanted to make sure it wasn't something wrong with the GPU like it not being able to display through both DVI ports at the same time (I realise this is highly unlikely) which I cannot do with my TV since it only takes an HDMI cable, I was just wanting to rule out everything except the monitor - as it happened the only monitor I could steal from work woulda been one of my own which is an HDMI one anyways, so that plan didn't happen - so I'm gonna have to assume it is the monitor at fault.

D1craig

Enthusiast
Cos I'm a pessimist, and wanted to make sure it wasn't something wrong with the GPU like it not being able to display through both DVI ports at the same time (I realise this is highly unlikely) which I cannot do with my TV since it only takes an HDMI cable, I was just wanting to rule out everything except the monitor - as it happened the only monitor I could steal from work woulda been one of my own which is an HDMI one anyways, so that plan didn't happen - so I'm gonna have to assume it is the monitor at fault.

you are obviously someone who has spent a hell of alot more time with computers than me. i wouldnt even have thought of that as a problem lmao

Rakk

The Awesome
you are obviously someone who has spent a hell of alot more time with computers than me. i wouldnt even have thought of that as a problem lmao
To be honest I don't know whether that could even happen (I somehow doubt it), but the thought somehow snuck its way into my head (from where I do not know) so I was wanting to rule it out just in case :)

So anyone have any other ideas about monitors apart from Iiyama ones. The only I'm currently thinking about is: http://www.iiyama-monitors.co.uk/products/E2473HS-GB1.aspx

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I have that monitor, definitely recommend it. Never really used anything other than my 2 Iiyama monitors so it is all I can recommend

Have you considered a higher resolution screen as they seem to be picking up pace now and dropping in price.

Rakk

The Awesome
Well, I ordered that Iiyama monitor I linked and it is now sitting under my desk at work staring at me. Is it home time yet? :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Well if it makes you feel any better, I'm playing Payday on the exact same monitor and it looks great :p

Rakk

The Awesome
And as an update, this new monitor makes my old Iiyama look really dark, new one is very bright and clear :) and its so good to have all my screens back :)