New Monitor

Sweeney47

Now that the new PC is up and running fine im looking into getting a new desk and monitor. Now the monitor im kind of set on getting is This One but not from the Dell website because I can get it cheaper elsewhere. Now it has HDMI slot as does the 5870 so was the plan is to make things very pretty indeed. Now the HDMI cable is not included in the purchase and I'm not entirely sure what im looking for, im assuming this will do the trick of linking card to Monitor but want to make sure :D

Matt

Bright Spark
Just a heads up, dvi and hdmi produce the same picture quality.

HDMI will enable you to run sound through the 5870 though, so it does have an advantage in that respect.

Matt

Bright Spark
also HDMI is used in consoles etc so im kinda future-proofing and multi-using my purchase

Good idea, i bought an HD LCD TV for that exact reason. Have the xbox setup through hdmi and the pc set up through dvi right next to each other. A simple press on the tv remote and i can switch between pc and xbox goodness.

Phil

Silver Level Poster
been looking into getting a new monitor myself to go along with my new pc, been looking at getting this monitor as im wanting a 120hz monitor now :p

Sweeney47

I see PCS sell Iiyama monitors, are they good quality + reliable or just pretty standard? Never heard of them, how do they compare to Acer/Dell monitors?

and 120Hz? talk about over kill :p Is that just a 3D thing? I doubt thats necessary for 2D stuff...

Phil

Silver Level Poster
the refresh rate is so high you will never see skipped frames or tearing, also you won't suffer Vsycn mouse lag
[video=youtube;qN7Y6jTpf0Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN7Y6jTpf0Y[/video]

Sweeney47

something that requires freeze frame and slow mo to show me whats happening doesnt impress me tbh ;) Certainly not for the increase in cost.

And the blurry thing? really? I've played L4D quite a bit and its never been blurry for me... In fact the only time I've been in a game thats gone blurry is if im zoomed/scoped and the edges of my vision are blurred... So not buying that to be honest. Unless they're looking at motion blur... which heaven forbit is blurred...

Last edited:

Phil

Silver Level Poster
thing is you probably wont notice it until you play on a 120hz monitor, ive not had a go on 1 myself im just going on what people are saying, will get that Acer monitor next week when i get paid so i'll see if theres any major difference with my own 2 eyes :D

dont get me wrong 60hz monitors are fine, i just fancy taking the upgrade to 120hz alongside my pc upgrade :p

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
I see PCS sell Iiyama monitors, are they good quality + reliable or just pretty standard? Never heard of them, how do they compare to Acer/Dell monitors?

and 120Hz? talk about over kill :p Is that just a 3D thing? I doubt thats necessary for 2D stuff...

iiyama monitos are very high quality - we selected iiyama as they're Japanese designed for quality - great for gaming, and iiyama have been around for a long while now.

Sweeney47

so would you recommend this monitor over the dell one? On paper it seems better but im not too sure :D

Or is the one you offer (24") better? If it is would it be possible to have one sent out by you?

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
iiyama monitos are very high quality - we selected iiyama as they're Japanese designed for quality - great for gaming, and iiyama have been around for a long while now.

I'll agree here, I've had an Iiyama monitor (19" TFT not widescreen) for about 6 years now and apart from a few blown power adaptors, it still works perfectly, not a single dead/broken pixel, and the display is still very good.

(My much newer non-Iiyama 24" widescreen which is only 3 years old has a rather annoying broken pixel in it, its not dead its broken - its bright green ...)

Last edited: